GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI 7.5 DSG 6 speed sounds like a diesel

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
My 2018 GTI in D mode with DSG sounds more like a diesel when revs drop below 1800 especially when car is really hot. I have to resort to manual mode to change down earlier to eliminate the noise.

In my view the MK7.5 is far noisier than my original MK7. Perhaps down to soundproofing or lack of it! Has anyone else noticed this.

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
maybe look into sound insulation under hood (bonnet!). I know some cars it has been eliminated.

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI

Last edited:

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
Its a 6-speed

Don't you have a 7-speed?

Unfortunately its the old 6-speed. I know I can get a tune on the box that would probably help but its all additional cost. After my 3-year old MK7 GTI was written off in Portugal last year by a Portuguese white van man on his phone I had little option in the UK for getting hold of another GTI with the spec I required.

After a few days with the new car I had to start soundproofing and changing tyres due to cabin noise. I even changed the rear shocks to Koni Active's as I could detect the dreaded rattle that plagued so many early MK7's.

Unfortunately this particular car has in many respects been disappointing and has not been a match for the original MK7. The good thing is that it has been valued at £3000 less than I paid for it 7-months ago with 12k on the clock so I am tempted to change it.

http://www.vwgolfmk7problems.uk/

amsr

Ready to race!
My 2017 GTI SE DSG (6 speed) sounds like a diesel between 1000-2000rpm under load. It didn't do that when new, but it started after about 1.5 years ~20,000 miles. I doesn't do it 100% of the time either.

CMARNOLD78

Ready to race!
Is it the sound actor? Think it may be off in D mode? But yes, when I first got my GTI (new) I though the sound of the car reminded me of a diesel (car).

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
It's all in your head OP, or you have a problem you need to take it into the dealership to check out.