GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MAGIC/MAJESTY (eBay) 16.4 liter Intercooler

parallax

Ready to race!
Ok, I never want to do that again. It took nearly 10h, there were blood sacrifices, when I got to the clips I promised baby Jesus a bunch of stuff if I could get them in. He must have known I was lying because the drivers side peg didn't want to fit... But that bastard is in and everything worked when I went on my test drive.

Did you reuse the stock clips?

athos56

Ready to race!
Did you reuse the stock clips?

No I broke those out, those clips weren't that bad once you know what's going on and what needs to be trimmed. The top clips were the worst because the raised welds wouldn't let the sandwich close. I'd knock down all the welds on the inboard side of the unit, I'd take at least 2-3mm off of the collar of driver's side peg so that the plastic sits closer to side. Do all this the day before, it sucks to take it in and out trying to fit it.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Ordered yesterday off eBay for piece of mind.

*edit* Got mine from hisinauto2015; got a email saying they are out of the black IC because the new lot did not pass QC and would be available in 20 days. Opted for the silver. No ones gonna see it anyway. Also hoping I don't have to modify/shave anything.

Last edited:

parallax

Ready to race!
Finished up last night. Took about six hours with a couple of breaks. I didn't have to shave down any of the pegs, so I guess I got lucky on that part. I did have to file down the top radiator clips though.

I ended up cutting off the factory yellow brackets after 30 seconds of finagling them. The eBay brackets are a must for preserving willpower.

The fit is pretty tight, and instead of scrolling through 100 pages to find out how to tilt the radiator, I just bolted everything in and was done with it.

Bumper and grill aligned back perfectly. No issues there.

I didn't have a cooler handy, which probably would have cut down the install time by half.

10/10 I highly recommend using an electric impact driver/drill. It made things so much easier--from the dozens of small T-20 screws to the bigger, 16mm bolts.

FYI: For those considering a bracket for the AC Condenser, I found these pre-drilled, 2" brackets at Ace Hardware that lined up to the IC M5 holes beautifully. No additional cutting or drilling necessary.

Definitely my last, substantial mod. I just don't have time to wrench like I used to. The car will be grateful for it when the Midwest heat begins to really hit. Now to do some logs and run Map6!

Cheers, thanks, and may the force be with those who have yet to install.

Last edited:

Jedimk7

Drag Race Newbie
Mine just arrived after a 10 day journey, nothing broken and well packaged, just in time for summer interesting it came with a GReddy aluminum sticker?? [emoji41][emoji106]

Sent from my Gavin Belson black box signature edition

mk717

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 A3 Quattro
Finished up last night. Took about six hours with a couple of breaks. I didn't have to shave down any of the pegs, so I guess I got lucky on that part. I did have to file down the top radiator clips though.

I ended up cutting off the factory yellow brackets after 30 seconds of finagling them. The eBay brackets are a must for preserving willpower.

The fit is pretty tight, and instead of scrolling through 100 pages to find out how to tilt the radiator, I just bolted everything in and was done with it.

I didn't have a cooler handy, which probably would have cut down the install time by half.

10/10 I highly recommend using an electric impact driver/drill. It made things so much easier--from the dozens of small T-20 screws to the bigger, 16mm bolts.

FYI: For those considering a bracket for the AC Condenser, I found these pre-drilled, 2" brackets at Ace Hardware that lined up to the IC M5 holes beautifully. No additional cutting or drilling necessary.

Definitely my last, substantial mod. I just don't have time to wrench like I used to. The car will be grateful for it when the Midwest heat begins to really hit. Now to do some logs and run Map6!

The mending plate was a great call. Picked up all my mounting hardware today.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mk7gti2.0

Ready to race!

Did you not have to take the headlights out? If not did it make it harder to reach bolts? I should be installing mine next week.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
Did you not have to take the headlights out? If not did it make it harder to reach bolts? I should be installing mine next week.

I had to take them out.

Makes things a lot easier ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

athos56

Ready to race!
Take them out, If I did it over again I'd drain the coolant too and deal with the whole core support and radiator sandwich mess off the car.

parallax

Ready to race!

I followed ShopDAP's REVO intercooler install video and left them in. In hindsight, I'd take them out, as the top two 16mm bolts are a pita.

masonmarch

Installed my intercooler/silicone pipes last night, couple tips from my experience.
-I didn’t need to remove the headlights, to get the last bolt out of the beam on each side just pull UP on the headlights and thread them out.
For the main yellow clips... HEAT THEM UP. Just hit them with a lighter for a few seconds, I tried to get them for about 5 min each, then heated them up and got them out like nothing.
An extra hand would make all this easlier, but I was able to do it 100% on my own in 5 hours.
The 2 1/4” plates with the two holes work perfect for the upper AC condenser mount points, just use the M5 bolts, I didn’t use anything on the bottom.
I didn’t need to trim or file anything on the intercooler itself.
The upper black tabs that press into the intercooler needs to be shaved down, just use a untilty knife.
The yellow brackets need the one groove shaved down as the new cooler doesn’t have a prevision for this, again utility knife and hammer them on.
A cooler or a giant sub woofer is a must for support lol.
Carful with the AC condenser.
Other than that, straightforward. I didn’t use any tape for my bumper alignment.
The only thing I broke are the small air guides on the upper center bumper support.

Car feels like it pulls harder and is consistent every time.
GTI 6MT with is38 running on jb4, will report back with logs and differences over the stock GTI cooler.

Last edited:

rafycotto

Ready to race!
Another one here, got it today and ordered Wednesday 9. Came in one piece, but
This vvvvvvv

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk

masonmarch

Installed my intercooler/silicone pipes last night, couple tips from my experience.
-I didn’t need to remove the headlights, to get the last bolt out of the beam on each side just pull UP on the headlights and thread them out.
For the main yellow clips... HEAT THEM UP. Just hit them with a lighter for a few seconds, I tried to get them for about 5 min each, then heated them up and got them out like nothing.
An extra hand would make all this easlier, but I was able to do it 100% on my own in 5 hours.
The 2 1/4” plates with the two holes work perfect for the upper AC condenser mount points, just use the M5 bolts, I didn’t use anything on the bottom.
I didn’t need to trim or file anything on the intercooler itself.
The upper black tabs that press into the intercooler needs to be shaved down, just use a untilty knife.
The yellow brackets need the one groove shaved down as the new cooler doesn’t have a prevision for this, again utility knife and hammer them on.
A cooler or a giant sub woofer is a must for support lol.
Carful with the AC condenser.
Other than that, straightforward. I didn’t use any tape for my bumper alignment.
The only thing I broke are the small air guides on the upper center bumper support.

Car feels like it pulls harder and is consistent every time.
GTI 6MT with is38 running on jb4, will report back with logs and differences over the stock GTI cooler.

Logged the car and it feels great. Outside temperature was 16 degrees Celsius. This intercooler performs extremely well and is a huge upgrade over stock.
WOT 5-10 degrees celcius above
Idle/slow cruise 10-15 degrees
Highway cruise 5 degrees above

IS38 GTI, 6mt

Happy!

Last edited: