GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wheel Cleaner?

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion

plastermaster

Passed Driver's Ed
This just reminded me I curbed my passenger front wheel Saturday night :(

I just added a set of those little plastic mud flaps to warn me if I am getting too close.

For cleaning I just spray on some Simple Green household cleaner. The brake dust just flows off immediately. I go over the wheel with a brush to dislodge the rest. Then I rinse it off immediately. I have been warned that Simple Green can oxidize AL, but that will only happen if you leave it on for awhile. Probably takes me about 1 min per wheel.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
I love the Sonax and rely on it for badly soiled rims. But for basic weekly washes I use Meguier's D143 Non-Acid Wheel and Tire Cleaner @ 1:4 dilution. It works great as a tire and wheel cleaner, which is convenient, and it foams nicely with the right sprayer and clings. Dries a bit quick outdoors though. But for the price, a gallon of concentrate cost me like $18, I can make a metric shit ton of wheel and tire cleaner.

I have not tried it on a wheel I would call "roached" so until then Sonax Full Effect still takes the crown here.

Sport17

Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Just used Eagle One Etching Mag Cleaner for the first time last week, which is an acid-based cleaner similar to Meguiar's Wheel Brightener, but readily available and cheap ($5 on Amazon). Sprayed on, brake dust started to run on its own, agitated with a soft brush on the face/spokes, and a wheel brush in the drums. Wheels had never been so clean, at least until I drove it again! I made sure to rinse really well, so no acid was left on the clear coat. Fast and effective. Really made short work of the dust & grime baked on to the wheels.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
Just used Eagle One Etching Mag Cleaner for the first time last week, which is an acid-based cleaner similar to Meguiar's Wheel Brightener, but readily available and cheap ($5 on Amazon). Sprayed on, brake dust started to run on its own, agitated with a soft brush on the face/spokes, and a wheel brush in the drums. Wheels had never been so clean, at least until I drove it again! I made sure to rinse really well, so no acid was left on the clear coat. Fast and effective. Really made short work of the dust & grime baked on to the wheels.
Eagle One has had some home runs before. I remember when the original Nano Wax came out they offered....I have yet to find a wax that goes so far as that. I think I had the same container for like 5 years and used it frequently. But a single drop would do a whole panel I swear.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I always felt that if one had to agitate the surface using a brush it is no different than using car shampoo to wash the wheels. And car shampoo is extremely safe on wheels.

I use Griot's CarWash for the paint and wheels. I never end up with brake dust build up on the wheels. I use a small boar's hair brush and a MF wheel brush stick to clean wheels. Nothing more fancy needed. I follow up with a polymer based 'wax as you dry' type product on the wheels at the end to protect.

Jersey UG MKV

Plastidipping Fool
I always felt that if one had to agitate the surface using a brush it is no different than using car shampoo to wash the wheels. And car shampoo is extremely safe on wheels.

I use Griot's CarWash for the paint and wheels. I never end up with brake dust build up on the wheels. I use a small boar's hair brush and a MF wheel brush stick to clean wheels. Nothing more fancy needed. I follow up with a polymer based 'wax as you dry' type product on the wheels at the end to protect.

The color changing of wheel cleaners is the chemicals dissolving the iron in the brake dust. Your agitation will be way less aggressive than using shampoo alone. If your wheels are coated like mine, then soap and a gentle brushing will work fine.