GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

When is the REFRESHED 2018 Golf/GTI available stateside?

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
The gulia has had some kinks to work out on the American side but a lot of it has been fixed already with software flashes. If you're leasing you'll love the car but if you're gonna own a car I'd skip the Kia and Alfa as they're both all new cars and may get stuck with issues further down the line. My whole family has always had fca products other than my mom and have never had issues like the cars my mom has had. I have a dart currently and a lot of people say they're pos cars but I've never had any issues since getting it

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
The gulia has had some kinks to work out on the American side but a lot of it has been fixed already with software flashes. If you're leasing you'll love the car but if you're gonna own a car I'd skip the Kia and Alfa as they're both all new cars and may get stuck with issues further down the line. My whole family has always had fca products other than my mom and have never had issues like the cars my mom has had. I have a dart currently and a lot of people say they're pos cars but I've never had any issues since getting it

True, good point. I am going to own. On the other hand, it would be kinda cool to own the first version of a car ever made...assuming it turns out to be actually good, lol. I'm gonna carefully look at reviews and test drive, of course.

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
Man, I'm actually leaning towards getting a Golf R now. If I were to get a GTI, I would definitely get the Autobahn trim because I must have premium audio and DCC. I would also add the Driver Assist package, bringing the total to $37k. At that point, it's only $4k less than the R, which has AWD and the new 7-speed DSG.

I wanted to keep the total cost south of 40k, but fuck it...I can go over a little, I guess. Having a strict boundary is arbitrary, anyway.

The new R should arrive at the same time as the GTI, right? I also like how there's only one trim for the R, and everything is included, so there's no need to special order one. I would go for the Lapiz Blue, which I assume is the most common color due to its exclusivity.

Last edited:

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
I can tell it's a great car, I just dislike that triangular grill. I will keep looking at it, and maybe it'll grow on me :)
I don't judge Kia solely on their past reputation because their new cars are being designed by different people.

Edit: I'm seeing some negative articles about AR...

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a10308214/alfa-romeo-giulia-issues/
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...giulia-ti-basically-lives-dealer-service-bay/

Fiat cars are really unreliable, with nearly twice as many problems as the industry average.

http://st.motortrend.com/uploads/sites/5/2017/02/2017-jd-power-vds-chart-1.jpg

FIAT's main problem child in the US was the 500.

AR is using a totally new platform (Giorgio) that's been out in Europe for a little while now. Most of the issues were the result of software, which seems to have been taken care of with dealer updates.

Cars today have something like 300,000 lines of code to run the whole operation, and its no surprise that there's bugs to work out.

Even after all these years, VWs still suffer their windows occasionally forgetting one touch up/down.

odin2347

Passed Driver's Ed
My dealer told me not to expect the 2018 R until January or February ������

Spooled1

Passed Driver's Ed
Man, I'm actually leaning towards getting a Golf R now. If I were to get a GTI, I would definitely get the Autobahn trim because I must have premium audio and DCC. I would also add the Driver Assist package, bringing the total to $37k. At that point, it's only $4k less than the R, which has AWD and the new 7-speed DSG.

I wanted to keep the total cost south of 40k, but fuck it...I can go over a little, I guess. Having a strict boundary is arbitrary, anyway.

The new R should arrive at the same time as the GTI, right? I also like how there's only one trim for the R, and everything is included, so there's no need to special order one. I would go for the Lapiz Blue, which I assume is the most common color due to its exclusivity.

How much for an R with DCC and premium audio? You can spec an R close to $50k!

Almost all the reviews I have read/seen say that for daily driving purposes both cars drive fairly similar. And the Haldex AWD system is nothing to write home about.

Spooled1

Passed Driver's Ed
I really hope they release the 2018 order guide soon!!! I'm about to make an irrational mistake and get into an STI! I hope I can hold out!!!

I would like my next GTI in red please!!! :cool:

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion

Almost all the reviews I have read/seen say that for daily driving purposes both cars drive fairly similar. And the Haldex AWD system is nothing to write home about.

I feel the same. The GTI I would really want to get is so close in price to the R it almost doesn't make sense. Might as well get the better engine and transmission for nearly the same price. However the R's also go for over MSRP around here...

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn

Well actually the 2017 R with everything (DSG, DCC, Fender audio, driver assist) is just over 41k MSRP. In fact, if you look on the VW website, those options are now "standard."

But yeah, second paragraph is a good point. Kind of leaning toward GTI again.

Gnosisdog

Passed Driver's Ed
The problem is that the MSRP of the Autobahn GTI is just so expensive. And DCC is just so essential. Is an R worth the extra $4K to get the extra hp and the Haldex? All things being equal I'd say yes. Haldex may sacrifice a little performance compared to center diff AWD systems but it makes up for it in efficiency and low weight. Its also an AWD system that integrates perfectly with the R's chassis. You can say that the GTI and the R drive similarly, but I would qualify that to say similar up to 95% at the limit where oversteer kicks in big time on the GTI. And in slick road conditions? AWD all day long.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
one thing all of you are forgetting is that, while a fully loaded GTI can MSRP for 37k, it would never sell for that. You could get it for 32k. So, with R's @ 41K, you're still looking a 9K price difference. That's hardly negligible.