GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1.8T - EPC/CEL no boost...

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
UPDATE - 1.8T EPC/CEL no boost...

My obd eleven wont connect To my phone right now for some dumb reason (of course at the moment I truly need it) so I can’t get any more detail than what they said at autozone until I go to the shop tomorrow... but basically, I think it’s a wastegate actuator issue... the code was p334a and, based upon my reading, the a suggests it’s an electrical not a mechanical issue... Something is preventing boost from building because I just hear it blow off instantly after building...

Crossing my fingers it’s something simple. First issue I’ve had w this car in 80k...

Last edited:

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Is all the piping still in place? Had one of my charge pipes pop off after I went is20, so it may be worth checking.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
just got of the phone with the shop... the internally actuated wastegate has failed... specifically the actuator itself... It cant be serviced (at least by the shop I have the car at) and the turbo will need to be replaced...

any thoughts?

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
I'd say look into gpop, they can do turbo rebuilds for a decent price so chances are they may be able to fix it up. Other than that the classifieds are flush with is20's, so if you want to significantly up the power that's always the option.

It also helps that while somewhat challenging, swapping the turbo is easily something you can do yourself.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
If you can find a wastegate separate from a turbo then it can easily be serviced. You'll need to do the wastegate calibration, but it's a hell of a lot easier than a turbo replacement.

In fact, I do happen to have an IS12 wastegate sitting around on my old IS12...

Or, you could always go IS20.

Last edited:

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
I do want to go IS20... ultimately...

I guess whats odd to me is if you have an IS12 wastegate sitting around, why cant the shop replace it... is it not the kind of part you can buy seperate usually?

Also, the classifieds are devoid of IS20s the instant I need one... great

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
I'd say look into gpop, they can do turbo rebuilds for a decent price so chances are they may be able to fix it up. Other than that the classifieds are flush with is20's, so if you want to significantly up the power that's always the option.

It also helps that while somewhat challenging, swapping the turbo is easily something you can do yourself.

I just need the space and time... and while I feel like I can do most mechanical work on this car, I feel like a turbo is certainly something Id like to do with someone who is experienced ...

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Because the shop doesn't know how to set one. They aren't sold separately so they just go buy what some shop manual says.

Lovely... well I’m gonna keep doing some reswatch...

Thanks for your help all!

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Well the IS20 has been purchased... being installed this weekend

xGreg

Passed Driver's Ed
The dealer just called me telling me I need a new turbo. The EPC light came on a few days ago. Luckily i'm at 37k so the power train warranty covers it.

mk7_gsw

The dealer just called me telling me I need a new turbo. The EPC light came on a few days ago. Luckily i'm at 37k so the power train warranty covers it.

Dammit now you got me worried as im at 85k miles and a 2015, hopefully mine doesnt die anytime soon, although i have factory warranty till 10yr/150k miles. Thanks California and the PZEV rules :)