GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

vw connect bluetooth data plug?

soooty

I got given a data plug by the dealers that works with the downloadable app. I wandered what people experience was of using it? I had a couple of questions.
1. it doesnt seem to offer much data byond what i get alraedy on the infotainment computer, albeit it would be on my moby.. are they encouraging the use of these simply as a way of marketting us even more?? DO you have to punch in all kinds of perosnal data and 'opt in' data when you set up the app?
2. does the device share information with the dealers.. would someone using a tuning box get found out etc??..
Thanks

Jayzeable

Passed Driver's Ed
How ironic, I read your post earlier. My GTD was in for its first service today, and when I returned, went through the paperwork, handed the keys, etc and I left...

...I got to my car to find this on my seat.

IMG_0681.JPG

I wouldn’t of known anything, I was told nothing during the handover, and it had already been installed. Just the box on the seat!!!

I immediately removed it from the port, and went back to ask the service desk.

I was given an A4 flyer, and an apology as she claimed not to know nothing about it being fitted.

I feel uncomfortable with anything like this being fitted as it tracks your for driving style, gps, performance, fuel consumption ...and its shared with VW.

Maybe once I’ve found more details I might warm to it, but at the moment I’m fearful of VW knowing all my driving data.

J

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sootchucker

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI (2018)
It’s of limited use most of the time, but you can opt out of it sending any data to VW.

vwman

Go Kart Champion
I took mine out when they changed/ upgraded the software so you could no longer opt out of sending data to VW.

I wasn’t surprised they did this though ...