GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Most annoying thing about your GTI

benpaul

Passed Driver's Ed
Over the top tech and cheap breakable plastics is what plagued by euros I owned over the last 10 years.

VW Polo I had, engine was bullet proof but the ABS units, window regulators, fuel pumps, ignition barrel etc. were the things that just fell apart and often. The BMWs I had - issues with the display, cooling system, fans, windows, electrics. But I could treat the engine with total neglect and it was a trooper.

The e46 and e90 4cyls were plagued by oil leaks.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Had a 2007 Mazda3 (assembled in Japan) for 8 years and 150,000 KMs. Oil changes aside, I replaced the front brake pads, the tires, air filter, and the spark plugs once each. Not a single warranty claim, squeak, or rattle. Great little car.

So far so good with my 2016 GTI Autobahn/Performance (full load). No issues thus far. Some creaks/groans from the doors/sunroof. Only 25,000 KMs in on 2 years though.

On the other hand, my 2004 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V, also purchased new, was a disaster.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
The plastics in the engine bay. Subpar.

Broke one coil connector changing the plugs.
Broke both of the plastic "vents" on the side of the condensor and also one of the tabs holding the hood release mechanism during my IC install.
My SAI no longer holds in place without a zip tie. Only took that off once (may have been PO that ruined it).

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
I wonder how many times it's been said in this thread...

The crappy stock clutch!

Owned nothing but manual transmission cars and never needed to replace the clutch. So this is a first for me.

My last vw was a mk6 Golf TDI 6mt with a KermaTDI tune. That put ~375ft lbs to the wheels at 2krpm. And it was running the stock clutch. The DMF was NOT happy if I thumped the throttle in 6th gear when rpm was at torque peak. But I don't recall the clutch ever slipping.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
On the other hand, my 2004 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V, also purchased new, was a disaster.

I had a 2003. Between the bent wheels, rattles, squeaks, creaks, groans, faulty MAF sensor (waited a month because of a backorder), faulty catalyst, and the fact that the #3 piston tried to eat its way out of the engine, it was easily the worst car I've ever owned.

steve07fahr

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2007 fahr GTI
Most annoying thing.

The most annoying thing about my gti is the Dealership. Service and Sales both staffed with rude smartass "Service" advisors, pushy salespeople and techs that don't give a shit about your car.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
The stock clutch would be #1. VW has the resources, experience and wealth to create strong SACHS-inspired pressure discs that can hold up to ~400Wtq consistently. They could do this for very little over their current costs. It's almost as if it's intentional S:

2nd would be a strange rhythmic humming through the gas pedal at 70mph and highway speeds.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
The wiper stalk, but only because it works opposite the way that almost every other car I've ever owned (mostly Honda) did. You'd think by now that all the major car companies and their suppliers could all get together and agree on some standards for basic stuff like this.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
The wiper stalk, but only because it works opposite the way that almost every other car I've ever owned (mostly Honda) did. You'd think by now that all the major car companies and their suppliers could all get together and agree on some standards for basic stuff like this.

I came from the Honda world as well. You'll get used to it as I did :D:p

Gibberoni

Ready to race!

All the german manufacturers have agreed on a system though, haha. I came from BMW and the stalks work exactly the same as VW/Audi/Porche. Drove a Merc a while back and the wipers were the same.

RRocket

Passed Driver's Ed
All the german manufacturers have agreed on a system though, haha. I came from BMW and the stalks work exactly the same as VW/Audi/Porche. Drove a Merc a while back and the wipers were the same.

lol. I was like "is it backwards??" I also came from BMW so still works the same for me :D

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32

Cptnjosh

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Sport
Two Things

#1- hesitation from reverse to drive on DSG. I know it takes a second to go from reverse to drive since 1st and reverse are on the same clutch, and I am ok with that. But it intermittently will act as if it is going to stall out for second maybe 1 out of 3 times when performing this maneuver. My foot is firmly planted on the brake when changing gears and it does it. No rhyme or reason that i have figured out. Anyone else?

#2- i cant believe how much dirt, grime, and dust collects on the hatch and rear bumper. One drive in the rain and the rear is filthy. Rest of the car could wait for a wash, but the back forces my hand everytime.

MEM GTI

Ready to race!
#1- hesitation from reverse to drive on DSG. I know it takes a second to go from reverse to drive since 1st and reverse are on the same clutch, and I am ok with that. But it intermittently will act as if it is going to stall out for second maybe 1 out of 3 times when performing this maneuver. My foot is firmly planted on the brake when changing gears and it does it. No rhyme or reason that i have figured out. Anyone else?

#2- i cant believe how much dirt, grime, and dust collects on the hatch and rear bumper. One drive in the rain and the rear is filthy. Rest of the car could wait for a wash, but the back forces my hand everytime.

I️ have both of these problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
‘17 CSG GTI SE, DSG