GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Saint Louis

N10S

Ready to race!
I am out in the Warrenton area and work in south O'Fallon. 7th GTI for me and 15th VW (all liquid cool). I usually tune my cars immediately but this turbo issue has me holding back until the dust settles.

N10S

Ready to race!
Actually had a white Mk7 Gti merge onto the interstate next to me the other day. My last Gti, a Mk5, was white and I still love the look. That's the first Mk7 Gti I have seen on the road since buying mine at the end of September.

jwilkins88

Ready to race!
Brand spankin' new member here. Got my car on Saturday. It's a real shame that the weather is so awful or I'd try to arrange a meetup.

Also, does anyone know if there's anyone who has a VCDS in the area (or would be interested in maybe doing a group buy?)

N10S

Ready to race!
Brand spankin' new member here. Got my car on Saturday. It's a real shame that the weather is so awful or I'd try to arrange a meetup.

Also, does anyone know if there's anyone who has a VCDS in the area (or would be interested in maybe doing a group buy?)

Congrats on the new car. Regarding the VCDS I bounce between cars a lot so even though I have had numerous VW's I have never invested in the tool. The local vw club / forum (stlvw.com I think) is the likely place to find someone that already has one.

jfreezy

Car(s)
2015 Golf GTI
Congrats on the new car. Regarding the VCDS I bounce between cars a lot so even though I have had numerous VW's I have never invested in the tool. The local vw club / forum (stlvw.com I think) is the likely place to find someone that already has one.

I think the URL has been changed to http://www.stlouisvw.org/ I agree that the weathers kind of screwing us over. But spring will be here soon enough.

Hey N10S, tell me more about your experience with tunes. I'm pretty new to things but I'm curious as to why you held off on the tune due to the turbo. Forgive me if I sound stupid for this haha.

Jeff

N10S

Ready to race!
I think the URL has been changed to http://www.stlouisvw.org/ I agree that the weathers kind of screwing us over. But spring will be here soon enough.

Hey N10S, tell me more about your experience with tunes. I'm pretty new to things but I'm curious as to why you held off on the tune due to the turbo. Forgive me if I sound stupid for this haha.

Jeff

Back in the late 80's I purchased an 87 Grand National new off the lot. That was not my first performance or turbo car, but my first experience with ecu tuning a turbocharged car. Kenne Bell, Eastern Performance, and ATR were a few of those tuners back in the day. The tuning was based on a replacement chip with revised boost, timing & fueling. Other bolt- ons which improved exhaust flow, and improved intake breathing and fueling also added to the end result. Not that different than today really, just more simplified as the cars and the engine managent was far less complicated than today.

Other vehicles I have modified via ecu tune include my GMC Syclone, Mk 3 Gti (VR6 NA car but still chipped), 2 different S4 Audis (one Abt, one MTM -full ecu replacements), BMW MCoupe port tuned ecu using a Conforti Shark injector (also an NA car), a chip tuned turbo s beetle, a stage 2 337 I set up with Oberscheider chip ( sent ecu in for chip change-out), forge diverter, and full milltek turbo-back exhaust. That car was a real jewel. Several subarus including 2 WRX and 1 forester XT with mods ranging from a full stage 3 big turbo kit to full STi retrofit on the forester to a simple stage 1 Cobb tune on my 2011 WRX. Also did a "Works" tune and exhaust on my Evo VIII, and also fiddled around with an SAFC fuel management & Greddy Profec B boost control standalones on my evo as well, as they came from the factory running very rich.

I love VW's, and particularly GTI's, and this Mk7 is way under tuned allowing a lot of tuning head room. There is a lot of development and tuning in progress for this car. On a negative note there have also been plenty of reports of turbo failures which seem to be more prevalent with tuned cars. There is a lot of conjecture and discussion surrounding why these turbo failures are happening. Reports of these issues seem to be tapering off a bit and there are plenty of examples of people running a tune for many miles with no issues whatsoever.

At any rate I am waiting to see if someone will come up with a port tuning solution which puts me in control of programming my own car ( or restoring it to stock as needed). The Eurodyne solution looks good, but I don't personally like having to program my car via an Internet connection to someone's server. Just not a sound move from my perspective but I am paranoid when it comes to the possibility of bricking an ECU. I am not going to get anxious, and to be honest the stock car is fun to drive as-is so I am in no hurry really. Having said that I am sure a stage 2 tuned mk7 with milltek turbo back exhaust would be a blast to own & drive.

Jeff (also)

RickyBobby2

Passed Driver's Ed
Reviving the STL thread. Who knows when the next Cars and Coffee meet is?
Found a friend coming back from the St-Pats parade!

I wish I didn't have the dealer put the plate on the front... Cops OK with this?
Also who would have a VAG cable to do some changes?

Ricked_Em

Go Kart Champion
Reviving the STL thread. Who knows when the next Cars and Coffee meet is?
Found a friend coming back from the St-Pats parade!

I wish I didn't have the dealer put the plate on the front... Cops OK with this?
Also who would have a VAG cable to do some changes?

5/14 is the next one.

TCOne

Passed Driver's Ed
+1 St. Louis GTI chiming in. Blue 2dr. I go to all the Cars and Coffee meets that I can. Still a couple left this year.

TCOne

Passed Driver's Ed
The cars and coffee last saturday was a good turnout (Ballpark Village)

Last edited: