GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MSS Adjustable Street kit-what do you guys think?

Scrodee

Ready to race!
Installed the fully adjustable streets kit a few days ago, have about 350 miles on them so far. I have a non-DCC car, I daily it about 90 miles each day. Some of my commute has poor roads and some gnarly train tracks. I never go to the track (in this car) but enjoy nice handling. I have had several lowered cars over the years that were all a bit too extreme (or maybe I'm just older and crotchety now). I just wanted some better handling without a punishing ride everyday. Not a stance boi but getting rid of the ridiculous wheel arch gap is nice too.

First impressions:
The ride truly is impressive, better than stock. Not wallowy or overly soft but supple and controlled. The most notable improvement is greatly reduced squat and dive; this was my biggest gripe with the stock handling and it has been addressed!

I was concerned that the improvements would not be as advertised, especially for the price but all is as reported. Overall I am very happy!

After a few hundred more miles I'll dial in the ride height and post again.

'17 Night Blue Metallic GTI Sport 6MT | Southbend Stage 2 Daily | Boomba short shift adapter and knob | VWR downpipe, intercooler, turbo inlet pipe, & turbo muffler delete | AFE drop-in filter | AWE track catback with Vibrant 1750 resonator | Cobb AP, tuned by 5150 | MSS fully adjustable Streets springs

Cptnjosh

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Sport
Installed the fully adjustable streets kit a few days ago, have about 350 miles on them so far. I have a non-DCC car, I daily it about 90 miles each day. Some of my commute has poor roads and some gnarly train tracks. I never go to the track (in this car) but enjoy nice handling. I have had several lowered cars over the years that were all a bit too extreme (or maybe I'm just older and crotchety now). I just wanted some better handling without a punishing ride everyday. Not a stance boi but getting rid of the ridiculous wheel arch gap is nice too.

First impressions:
The ride truly is impressive, better than stock. Not wallowy or overly soft but supple and controlled. The most notable improvement is greatly reduced squat and dive; this was my biggest gripe with the stock handling and it has been addressed!

I was concerned that the improvements would not be as advertised, especially for the price but all is as reported. Overall I am very happy!

After a few hundred more miles I'll dial in the ride height and post again.

'17 Night Blue Metallic GTI Sport 6MT | Southbend Stage 2 Daily | Boomba short shift adapter and knob | VWR downpipe, intercooler, turbo inlet pipe, & turbo muffler delete | AFE drop-in filter | AWE track catback with Vibrant 1750 resonator | Cobb AP, tuned by 5150 | MSS fully adjustable Streets springs

Good write up. My impressions exactly after running them for 7k miles so far. Excellent control of squat and dive with good degree of body roll mitigation. They can get a little overwhelmed in the front on large dips or depressions in the road. I wonder how they might perform with upgraded dampers? I might also try the Sport version here at a later time.

Scrodee

Ready to race!
I haven't run into anything that caused the front end to crash out. I wonder if ride height has something to do with it. I have the front at the recommended 350mm. What are you running?

bluedoggiant

Go Kart Newbie
^ 350mm?!

I’m interested in this package, standard adjustable rear street kit.

I understand front lowers static 10mm, why wouldn’t I also set the rears to 10mm? What’s the recommend rear height?

Anyone have pics with 245/35 or 225/40?. Currently run 245/40 OEM springs but going to 245/35 and want to close the gap.

DCC shocks, daily driven in downtown Atlanta with plenty of trips to technical mountain roads

Scrodee

Ready to race!
350mm from the center of the center cap to the fender edge.
Not sure what the nonadjustable fronts will get you. Also depends on transmission, DSG is heavier and will sit slightly lower.
I believe that MSS recommends 350 front, 355 rear.

funks

Ready to race!
are there multiple revisions of the fully adjustable kit? Why did the OP have to run taller rear stems? Do the taller rear stems come with the latest kit?

Last edited:

greekspec2

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf R 17 BMW X1M
Anybody know the height of the rear orange springs that comes with the Sport Kit or the Track Pack (MK7)? I have the Fully Adjustable Street Kit and would like to replace the rear orange spring for those track days (easy enough to do compared to the front - lol). In the UK, they sell the track pack rear orange springs (not across the pond though).

The Rear Orange springs are the only thing different between the current MK7 fully adjustable kits (same perches, same front spring, same rear black spring, same rear coupler)

I'm planning on purchasing Swift springs (same height, and similar spring rate as the track). The street rear orange springs are taller than the sport and track - if somebody knows how tall these springs are (rear sport or track), should be fairly easy to figure out the rate based on the available springs out there (close enough - 15 -> 20% stiffer rate than my existing streets)

since the springs are higher rates there going to be shorter to give you the same adjustment range, I would say 140mm

funks

Ready to race!
Update- after corresponding with Excelerate extensively, we discovered that the rears were installed by the previous owner incorrectly. He put the orange springs in updside down, and ran them like that for a bit. Upon hearing all the noise he took the car into Excelerate to fix the issue. So that is why the rears look so trashed. I have no idea how one might make this mistake, as they obviously only go in one way, otherwise they wont fit the lower spring seat properly or sit flat at the spring coupler.

I have the street kit that I haven't installed yet, a bit worried about this statement above ( believing the rear orange springs are a bit undersprung allowing it to coil bind with the pics you posted). The rear orange springs are standard linear rate coilover springs with closed and ground ends. The spring rate shouldn't change regardless of one installing it upside down. The closed and ground edges will always make it mate flatly with the perches. Did the original user of the spring accidentally install the black spring on the bottom? And the orange spring on top? Or was the perch height / springs revised several times since introduction? Sounds like there was a revision with taller front springs, and taller rear springs as well?

Last edited:

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
Looks like there may be two types of rear adjusters - one is 64MM, and the other a 60MM.

If you have the 64MM adjuster (it only fits the black spring), you won't be able to plug it into the orange spring then you orient the spring like the picture on the left. Rubber Cushion on top, adjuster, black spring, coupler, then orange on the bottom. If you have the 60MM adjuster (it'll fit snug on the orange spring but loose on the black spring) then you follow the picture on the right - basically rubber cushion on top, adjuster, orange spring, coupler, then black spring on the bottom.

The XLR8 site then says the following

With the 64MM setup, the text supposedly on both springs are upright. But on my setup below (I have the 64MM adjuster) , it's upside down on the black spring. Not sure if the picture is wrong, their instructions on the site is wrong, or I got the wrong black spring? Note, the black spring is oriented properly like the picture above / left (setup). The two smaller distance coils are pointing down, towards the coupler just like the picture. With it positioned that way, the verbiage on black spring is upside down.

hey bud were you ever able to find out a spring thats comparable to the rear track pack for the GTI? I want to give it a shot myself

funks

Ready to race!
Last edited:

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
See post above for my guesstimate on Track Springs

Here's the springs I bought which I believe are equivalent to the sport springs. Coupling it with SuperPro 24MM rear sway bars so I didn't want to go with the track spring. Will go to the track at most 3 times a year.

#Z60-178-060 - Spec = 60MM ID, 178MM Free Length, 336 lbs/inch

thank you for all your hard work! in the post on the track springs. For each manufacutre you have two options. Is the higher spring rate version considered a more hard core version of the track version?

funks

Ready to race!
Here's how I measured my rear street orange spring

^ 1) Use a ruler, stand the spring straight up and measure up to the top. The perspective is a bit funky on this picture but this spring is 200mm long (or 7.87 inches)

^ 2) I then measured it with a postal scale - gave me 812 grams.

^ 3) I then measured the wire width of the coil with a caliper (basically get the diameter of the coil) - averaged. Gave me ".3625" inches

^ 4) This has 7.8 - 360 Degree Coils (Total Coils). The top and bottom coils are dead so subtract 2 which means it has 5.8 active coils.

Calculation: 178 lbs/inch = (11250000 * (.3625-.01)^4)) / (8 * ((2.405 + .3625 - .01)^3) * 5.8)

The closes spring to the STREET in the Eibach ERS Catalog is

#200-60-0030 which is 60MM ID, 200mm Free Length, 171 lbs/inch spring that weights 670 grams (per the catalog).

The second spring up is the

#200-60-0040 which is 60MM ID, 200mm Free Length, 226 lbs/inch that weights 810 grams (per the catalog).

^ 5) Given that the Street Rear Orange Spring has a weight of 812 grams, and #200-60-0040 has a weight of 810 grams - it's the probable match. Even if the actual street spring is actually #200-60-0030, given that MK7 kit is made for the base GOLF all the way up to the GOLF R, I'd go with the 228/lbs inch. The Golf-R weighs more on the rear than the base Golf or GTI.

Last edited: