GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LED trunk strip install

Xdpker

Ready to race!
I purchased a LED trunk strip similar to the one deautokey sells with the festoon adapter that goes in the stock location on the top right of the trunk. Does anybody have a guide on how to remove the trunk trim pieces so I can snake the wire through it like this guy did? Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIN7ah4r29A

cbenjes

Go Kart Newbie
I just did this yesterday. Remove the trunk liner. Then insert a long flathead screwdriver under the passenger side of the plastic piece from the back of the vehicle where the weatherstripping overlaps it. Pry up on it and it will pop and loosen, then work your way to the drivers side, prying it up and remove the whole piece. You will see that it clips into the side pieces and the frame. Once done, I stuck a coat hanger in from the corner of the vehicle and used duct tape to attach the wire from the LED to the hanger, then carefully pulled it through so I could tuck it into the trim piece and route it up to the inside of the OEM light mounting.

It just takes time and patience, but it's not hateful. MY problem was getting the 3M tape to stick to the inside of the trunk. It simply would not stick, even though I cleaned and degreased it with All Purpose Cleaner, so right now it's attached with duct tape (which DID stick) until I can find a double sided strip of adhesive that works.

Xdpker

Ready to race!
I just did this yesterday. Remove the trunk liner. Then insert a long flathead screwdriver under the passenger side of the plastic piece from the back of the vehicle where the weatherstripping overlaps it. Pry up on it and it will pop and loosen, then work your way to the drivers side, prying it up and remove the whole piece. You will see that it clips into the side pieces and the frame. Once done, I stuck a coat hanger in from the corner of the vehicle and used duct tape to attach the wire from the LED to the hanger, then carefully pulled it through so I could tuck it into the trim piece and route it up to the inside of the OEM light mounting.

It just takes time and patience, but it's not hateful. MY problem was getting the 3M tape to stick to the inside of the trunk. It simply would not stick, even though I cleaned and degreased it with All Purpose Cleaner, so right now it's attached with duct tape (which DID stick) until I can find a double sided strip of adhesive that works.

Awesome, is this the piece you are talking about that you removed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KPS8Mr0jgU

Also do you think hot glue would work if the 3m tape doesn't stick?

cbenjes

Go Kart Newbie
Yes, that's the piece. Once it's out, it's easy to fish the power wires to the light. My problem is getting the 3M tape to stick. I've tried cleaning the trim, but nothing - not even duct tale - wants to adhere to it for very long. Hot glue might be my desperation attempt.

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
Yes, that's the piece. Once it's out, it's easy to fish the power wires to the light. My problem is getting the 3M tape to stick. I've tried cleaning the trim, but nothing - not even duct tale - wants to adhere to it for very long. Hot glue might be my desperation attempt.

If it's the same material as the trim up top, where the rubber boots going into the hatch lead to, the trim is made of polypropylene (?). I bought 3M 9474LE 300LSE from Amazon. It works with that material pretty well. I use it for my dashcam, and it's still good, going through 100F summer days in an open air parking lot at work.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk