GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tire Suggestions For Heavy Rain

TheSkeptic

Ready to race!
Tires are one of my many areas of ignorance where my car is concerned. I live in Oregon, and if you're familiar with Les Schwab, I've always purchased my tires through them. I've also never really asked them about my options, but pretty much stuck to Toyo Proxes for the last ten years.

Without diverting by going into too much detail, I won't be doing business anymore with them. Now I need to actually be an informed consumer and buy tires of my own choosing.

I have a '15 GTI with the stock Austin wheels. I believe the tires may still be factory, and as it has started to rain here, I can't get on it without slipping.

What do those who live in areas with heavy rainfall recommend? I don't care about how they perform in snow, as we seldom get any and I'd use chains anyway. I also don't particularly care about summer performance, since Oregon's summer lasts 2 months at best. The rest of the time, it's probably raining.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I live in upstate SC and commute up into Charlotte NC. We don't get rain often, but when we do it's wild. Several inches within hours and standing/running water on the roads is a very serious problem.

My Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 have done great, and I'd highly recommend them for wet & dry summer weather. With our mild winter here I'll be running them year around but technically they're rated for 55* F and up

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
I am in the Northwest and generally run either the Continental Extreme Contact DWS or Michelin Pilot Sport AS3. Michelin are on GTI and Continental are on BMW. I really like both tires.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
The best tyres on heavy water I have experienced are my winters (Michelin Alpins) when I have run them slightly out of season...

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I have been using Continental ExtremeContact DWS all season tires and they are great. You will be able to see day and night difference with stock tires. They are as good as Michelin PilotSport AS3 at a cheaper price.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Don't know what to recommend other than probably best tires I've had in the rain were Kumho Ecsta. They were better than my Michelin (not AS3 or PSS. Can't remember the model). These were not on the Golf.

Definitely NOT recommended are Falken Pro G4 AS that I have on now. Hydroplane at very low speeds in heavy rain. The weird thing is it grips really well in wet conditions, just doesn't extract standing water very well.

TheSkeptic

Ready to race!
Sounds like at least two experienced votes for Continental. I don't mind spending the extra money for a good set, if Michelin or Continental tend to be better than the other.

I did a brief search online the other day, a lot of BF Goodrich were top-rated as well. Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
I've had the "pleasure" of driving 12 hours on the way back from Road Atlanta back to Michigan with the Hurricane providing basically non-stop rain the whole way. I was on Continental Extreme Contact Sports, and I thought those tires did quite well, including driving through the back roads of NC/TN and a whole lot of interstate driving.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Best wet performance of all my years driving and using several brands to me Contis DWS takes the cake, the amount of confidence that they give you driving in the rain is amaizing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chiefhiawatha

Ready to race!