GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Vancouver Chat Thread

Pwesty

16 GTI. When I was running a JB1 on map 1, I was getting some pretty bad knocking / hesitation under heavy throttle, when running Shell 91. Hardly any of these issues with Chev 94.

I’m now on Unitronic Stage 1, haven’t tried it with Shell 91. Planning to just stick with Chev 94. Car is running great with it.

Have you tried Petro Canada's 91? I am also on Unitronic stage 1 and have been using Shell 91 and it seems to be really good. I was talking to the guys at PG and they told me Shell 91 is one of the better ones to use.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Have you tried Petro Canada's 91? I am also on Unitronic stage 1 and have been using Shell 91 and it seems to be really good. I was talking to the guys at PG and they told me Shell 91 is one of the better ones to use.

I haven’t. And I’m not afraid to use 91 with the Uni tune. So I may try Shell 91 again.

For whatever reason, the JB1 on map 1 was just not happy with any 91.

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
Hey guys! Has anyone bought anything from the US and had it shipped to a US address for pick up? I'm actually from the USA (Washington) but want to buy a set of wheels from a Canadian company and get it shipped to Vancouver for free shipping.

How does this work? Do I need to set up a PO box with Canadian postal service and have the company ship my wheels there, to be held for pick up?

Any advice? :)

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Hey guys! Has anyone bought anything from the US and had it shipped to a US address for pick up? I'm actually from the USA (Washington) but want to buy a set of wheels from a Canadian company and get it shipped to Vancouver for free shipping.

How does this work? Do I need to set up a PO box with Canadian postal service and have the company ship my wheels there, to be held for pick up?

Any advice? :)

I have a mailbox in Blaine: Pacific Mail and Parcel - ironically, owned by a Canuck lol.

First I’d find out if the shop ships to a PO Box. Canada Post has offices people can use for what’s called a “Flex Address”. I have one of those too. But I would first double check if they can accept tires & rims. I’ve never asked mine as they don’t seem to have a big enough backroom for stuff like that.

Another option would be to use the UPS Store - have that as well! Also ask if they’ll receive rims.

Last edited:

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
I have a mailbox in Blaine: Pacific Mail and Parcel - ironically, owned by a Canuck lol.

First I’d find out if the shop ships to a PO Box. Canada Post has offices people can use for what’s called a “Flex Address”. I have one of those too. But I would first double check if they can accept tires & rims. I’ve never asked mine as they don’t seem to have a big enough backroom for stuff like that.

Another option would be to use the UPS Store - have that as well! Also ask if they’ll receive rims.

Cheers! Wheelwiz said they could ship it to a depot (Purolator, Loomis, Canpar for example) but it would cost $80 CAD. Shipping to me directly in the US is $180 CAD... now have to figure out if the $100 CAD is worth the 3 hour drive + border lol.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Cheers! Wheelwiz said they could ship it to a depot (Purolator, Loomis, Canpar for example) but it would cost $80 CAD. Shipping to me directly in the US is $180 CAD... now have to figure out if the $100 CAD is worth the 3 hour drive + border lol.

Depending on what time you arrive at the border, add another 1-3 hours (coming in and going back) unless you have a Nexus. So really, it’ll prolly be 6-ish hours.

One can always earn another $100; can't get 6 hours back.

Good luck!

jjson

Kinda wondering the same thing. Looking to tune on Eurodyne stage 1.5 91 in the coming spring 2019. Car is a 16 GTI with performance pack. Would there be any issues with Shell 91? Have always used Shell 91 V power since car was brand new

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Kinda wondering the same thing. Looking to tune on Eurodyne stage 1.5 91 in the coming spring 2019. Car is a 16 GTI with performance pack. Would there be any issues with Shell 91? Have always used Shell 91 V power since car was brand new

Not at all. Was ED Stage 2 91 HT for over 30K kms on my 15’ GTI (tuned it at 10K).

When I’d be too busy to drive to Blaine for Shell 92, I’d fill up with Shell 91 (or Chevron 94 once in a blue moon). Also tried the other tunes: 91 non-HT, 93 HT and non-HT (hence Chevron) as well, but stayed with 91 HT until the end because I wanted to keep filling up with Shell 92 and the ED HT tunes made the car feel like an old-school turbo.

Last edited:

jjson

Not at all. Was ED Stage 2 91 HT for over 30K kms on my 15’ GTI (tuned it at 10K).

When I’d be too busy to drive to Blaine for Shell 92, I’d fill up with Shell 91 (or Chevron 94 once in a blue moon). Also tried the other tunes: 91 non-HT, 93 HT and non-HT (hence Chevron) as well, but stayed with 91 HT until the end because I wanted to keep filling up with Shell 92 and the ED HT tunes made the car feel like an old-school turbo.

Thanks Carlos, this reassures me. Any downpipe recommendation as I may eventually go stage 2. Looking for something that's catted

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Curious as to why you’re looking at ED vs Unitronic? I believe the Uni tunes are much better value since they price in CAD. But not as familiar with ED pricing, TBH.

PG Performance said they would not do Uni 1.5 because of our poor(ish) fuel options here. Uni Stage 1 (ECU and TCU) is perfect for me. Been very happy with it. Grabbed the tunes during a sale and saved $250 (paid $1k for both).

I think it’s only $100 CAD to go from Uni 1 to Uni 2.

jjson

^Interesting. My main reason is being able to flash back to stock without trace on the ECU and the fact once you pay for stage 1, you have access to the other stages without paying more for another tune.

Ok now i'm confused lol

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
^Interesting. My main reason is being able to flash back to stock without trace on the ECU and the fact once you pay for stage 1, you have access to the other stages without paying more for another tune.

Ok now i'm confused lol

Once you tune, it can/will be detectable. That’s common knowledge now.

And yes, with ED you have access to all their tunes. In addition, you have a fault clearing abilities as well. And if you want to go crazy, there’s Maestro. Can’t comment about ED now (GTI has been traded for an R), but few years ago, ED was considered pretty aggressive while Uni has stayed their path as being conservative, yet refined. And you also get support from John Staffi, who is amazing whereas ED has the Eurodyne Updates thread which I started because Chris Tapp is a man of few words, literally.

With Uni, you have access to other tunes below the tune you bought. So if you bought Stage 2, you can access Stage 1 and 1.5. But if you bought Stage 1, everything higher has an upgrade fee.

Last edited:

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Thanks Carlos, this reassures me. Any downpipe recommendation as I may eventually go stage 2. Looking for something that's catted

No problem. I went with CTS catted and bought the PowerTap there as well.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Interesting pricing model with ED. Didn’t know that. What’s their Stage 1 ECU/TCU in CAD? For Uni it’s $1250 (full retail).

And ya as Carlos said, all tunes are detectable, even if you flash back to stock.

jjson

@Nype. I got quoted just under 700 from Blitzkreig on Boundary. This is for stage 1.5 ECU tune only. I'm manual so no TCU

I thought ED is the only tune that is fine with going back to stock and not being detectable. Guess I am out of the loop lol