GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What I should know before I start

Gunter

Passed Driver's Ed
The last few days I’ve been thinking my golfs suspension is a tad on the soft side and have been wishing it was stiffer so where does one begin. Mind you I’ve never modified any my cars mechanically but is something of interest. So what are my options is it worth tampering with or should I just swap it for a GTI? How much would it be also but I guess that’d depend on what brands I go with I guess or the route I go anyways thanks appreciate the feedback

Would stiffer Springs help?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
The last few days I’ve been thinking my golfs suspension is a tad on the soft side and have been wishing it was stiffer so where does one begin. Mind you I’ve never modified any my cars mechanically but is something of interest. So what are my options is it worth tampering with or should I just swap it for a GTI? How much would it be also but I guess that’d depend on what brands I go with I guess or the route I go anyways thanks appreciate the feedback

Would stiffer Springs help?

Depends on what you’re looking for outside of stiffer.

Want it lower? If so how low?

gregozedobe

Battle scarred veteran
Not really trying to lower it just want it less bouncy in corner

Sounds like shock absorbers with more damping is what you need.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
You can always go with some stock GTI sprigs. It'll be a bit stiffer and will lower the car maybe quarter to half inch.

Your stock tires can also play into the "bouncy" feeling. I went from a stock Mk6 wagon to a Mk7 GTI. I was a bit surprised on how much more firm the GTI's ride is compared to my wagon.

Scala

Ready to race!
... So what are my options is it worth tampering with or should I just swap it for a GTI?

Since it appears that you can afford the GTI then you should avoid going down the aftermarket rabbit hole which usually results in expense and deterioration of the ride. Also consider that modified cars are difficult to sell so you would be losing at both ends.

donefor

Go Kart Newbie
Bilstein B6 will tighten it up without any drop. If that's not enough, upgrade the sways. If still not enough, poly bushings. And make sure your tires have stiff sidewalls and are inflated to door jamb pressure :)

Gunter

Passed Driver's Ed
Since it appears that you can afford the GTI then you should avoid going down the aftermarket rabbit hole which usually results in expense and deterioration of the ride. Also consider that modified cars are difficult to sell so you would be losing at both ends.

I suppose I could look into it but the idea of taking a wrench and doing all that seemed interesting and like a good way to further my knowledge of the car and cars in general

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
I've done some things on a Golf Sportwagen.

GTI springs are a decent option. I bought mine from a member here for $80.

I also have the GTI 22mm rear sway bar. New, around $100 shipped.

The springs will lower your car about 5/8”.
The sway bar will help the car understeer less and control some of the roll.

Spring install requires a lot more wrenching. You could skip the springs and go with a stiffer rear bar ( eibach 25mm < $150 shipped).

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
I installed a rear 034 motorsports sway bar on my son’s 15 wagen a few months after I installed eibach pro kit springs, it’s fantastic. The rear bar is a MUST DO mod.