GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dealer torqued my wheelbolts to >200nm...what to do?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
No way to prove the dealer did it. You're lucky if your wheels and rotors weren't damaged.

I don't use tire shops or VW dealers for tire work. The shop I use not only asks me every time what I want the wheels torqued to, they ask how much pressure I want. They use torque wrenches and even have a tester in the shop they have calibrated by an outside company every week. They also cleaned the wheels while they were off the car. You get what you pay for. I got an excellent price when I had new tires installed but it will probably cost me $140 to have them rotated, checked for balance and the wheels cleaned every year. The tech is a factory trained ASE-certified tech not a 18-year-old helper.

Last edited:

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
No way to prove the dealer did it. You're lucky if your wheels and rotors weren't damaged.

I don't use tire shops or VW dealers for tire work. The shop I use not only asks me every time what I want the wheels torqued to, they ask how much pressure I want. They use torque wrenches and even have a tester in the shop they have calibrated by an outside company every week. They also cleaned the wheels while they were off the car. You get what you pay for. I got an excellent price when I had new tires installed but it will probably cost me $140 to have them rotated, checked for balance and the wheels cleaned every year. The tech is a factory trained ASE-certified tech not a 18-year-old helper.

The dealer took off the wheels because my car was stranded with transmission troubles on the highway. VW Service dictates it's fixed at the VW dealer closest to the location of the breakdown, so I coulnd't go to my own, trusted service mechanic :(

Shitty situation. I hope the car is back soon.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Possible the techs just air gunned them on without hand starting the threads and cross threaded all of them. That would suck... Sorry OP. Hope it all gets sorted out

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
:D:D:D Maybe I should put wheels like that on the GTE :D

Update: According to the dealer, they didn't remove my front wheels while servicing the transmission last week.. It sounds highly implausible to me.

But now it's a case of "who's going to pay for repairs" while the car is sitting in the shop :mad:

kgmm/sss

Passed Driver's Ed
Just a note on torque. Tightening torque will always be less than removal torque due to the difference in coeficient of friction being lower during kenetic vs static motion. This makes it very tricky to determine how tight a fastener was using a torque wrench.

The only times I have run into stuck lugs is gross overtorquing to the point to necking the stud/bolt, a stuck overheating caliper, and oxidation of aluminum alloy lug nuts.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
I doubt you have any damage to the wheels themselves. I would be more concerned about stretched lug bolts or potentially damaged threads on the hubs.

Also, what kind of repair shop cannot get lugs off with the tools they have? I use my impact to remove lugs, but torque back to spec every time.

dunkelweizen

Go Kart Newbie
Also, what kind of repair shop cannot get lugs off with the tools they have? I use my impact to remove lugs, but torque back to spec every time.

A number of years back, when I still had my Mk4 GTI, I bought new summer tires for her online from across the border and had it shipped to a PO box on the other side of the border, then installed, balanced by a local tire shop there.

Next winter, when I went to take the wheels off to put my winter setup on, I couldn't budge any of the lugs. I took it to a local mechanic shop a few blocks from my house. They tried, broke the adapter for their impact wrench and said sorry, can't help you. I was thinking oh crap, they were over torqued and seized - this is not going to end well. At this point, I wasn't about to drive 2.5+ hours back to the original shop that did the job to get them to fix this.

I then took it to a VW dealer and they broke their impact wrench adapter and locknut adapter this time.

Took it to a good wheels/tires shop and they tried the largest impact wrench they had, only managed to get 1 nut off after 1 hour. They said sorry, no go.

All the above shops also tried with breaker bars they had, without any movement.

Went to another mechanic shop next and after waiting 30 minutes, they came back to me and said, sorry, can't help you. They apparently broke their breaker bar?! (that's what they claimed, not sure how...)

At this point, I was thinking I would need to drill the lugs out, which would have sucked huge for all 4 wheels. And while I was out and about, happened to drive by a mechanic shop that services big rigs. I thought, maybe they have bigger tools?

I went in and they were nice enough to at least try to help me, even though they don't normally work on cars. They also tried their biggest impact wrench to no effect. Then they pulled out a massive breaker bar longer than any I've seen before. After a trying for about 30 minutes, they managed to get 2 more nuts off, but couldn't budge any other ones.

By now, pretty much everyone at the shop was gathered around to watch the spectacle and suggesting things to try. They were about to give up when one of the guys says 'wait' and comes back with a hollow steel tube about 10'+ long. He then slid it over the length of their large breaker bar. We then had 3 or 4 grown men hang off the end of the steel tube and pulled as hard as we can. That finally did it and got all the rest of the nuts off. They were super nice and only charged me $50, but I gave them $100 for all their troubles.

After that ordeal, I went out and bought a torque wrench and just do my seasonal wheel swaps myself. And any money I saved from buying tires across the border evaporated and then some because some lazy sod at a tire shop effed up a simple job.

Good luck OP with your situation.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Someone do the math on 800lbs applied to a 10ft lever.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
A number of years back, when I still had my Mk4 GTI, I bought new summer tires for her online from across the border and had it shipped to a PO box on the other side of the border, then installed, balanced by a local tire shop there.

Next winter, when I went to take the wheels off to put my winter setup on, I couldn't budge any of the lugs. I took it to a local mechanic shop a few blocks from my house. They tried, broke the adapter for their impact wrench and said sorry, can't help you. I was thinking oh crap, they were over torqued and seized - this is not going to end well. At this point, I wasn't about to drive 2.5+ hours back to the original shop that did the job to get them to fix this.

I then took it to a VW dealer and they broke their impact wrench adapter and locknut adapter this time.

Took it to a good wheels/tires shop and they tried the largest impact wrench they had, only managed to get 1 nut off after 1 hour. They said sorry, no go.

All the above shops also tried with breaker bars they had, without any movement.

Went to another mechanic shop next and after waiting 30 minutes, they came back to me and said, sorry, can't help you. They apparently broke their breaker bar?! (that's what they claimed, not sure how...)

At this point, I was thinking I would need to drill the lugs out, which would have sucked huge for all 4 wheels. And while I was out and about, happened to drive by a mechanic shop that services big rigs. I thought, maybe they have bigger tools?

I went in and they were nice enough to at least try to help me, even though they don't normally work on cars. They also tried their biggest impact wrench to no effect. Then they pulled out a massive breaker bar longer than any I've seen before. After a trying for about 30 minutes, they managed to get 2 more nuts off, but couldn't budge any other ones.

By now, pretty much everyone at the shop was gathered around to watch the spectacle and suggesting things to try. They were about to give up when one of the guys says 'wait' and comes back with a hollow steel tube about 10'+ long. He then slid it over the length of their large breaker bar. We then had 3 or 4 grown men hang off the end of the steel tube and pulled as hard as we can. That finally did it and got all the rest of the nuts off. They were super nice and only charged me $50, but I gave them $100 for all their troubles.

After that ordeal, I went out and bought a torque wrench and just do my seasonal wheel swaps myself. And any money I saved from buying tires across the border evaporated and then some because some lazy sod at a tire shop effed up a simple job.

Good luck OP with your situation.

Damn, maybe I am wrong. If my 1400 lbft impact doesn't take it off then it either wasn't meant to come off or someone royally screwed up.

kgmm/sss

Passed Driver's Ed
um 800lbs * 10 = 8000 ft/lbs /s

More than the 14mm x 1.5mm thread could ever possibly handle. However a ball seat bolt forced into a cone seat wheel could generate that level of holding.

Check out morse tapers if you want to explore the rabbit hole of interference fits being mechanical magic.

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
The dealer took off the wheels because my car was stranded with transmission troubles on the highway. VW Service dictates it's fixed at the VW dealer closest to the location of the breakdown, so I coulnd't go to my own, trusted service mechanic :(

Shitty situation. I hope the car is back soon.

I've had this situation with BMW as well. They don't know what a torque wrench is when they put the wheels on.
There is a torque rating for the lug bolts. Once they over tighten them, they should be replaced, especially if they were over tightened that much! They are at risk of failure and I wouldn't want that responsibility.

I had BMW replace all the bolts and told them not to be so stupid. They don't touch my wheels anymore. Especially when I put my Advan AVS T5's on.