GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ford RS - can not give them away?

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I'd pass it up without question.

Even with the head gasket fixed, an Alum open deck block + Hoon = recipe for disaster.

Ford dropped the ball on that motor.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
But but but it has drift mode...

cbass

Couple Loose Screws
Car(s)
milfs
So the drift mode is only possible because they designed the AWD system for it, instead of making it a good AWD system.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
motor issues were fixed with a head gasket recall.

i wish they were nice inside.

beers

Still wouldn't trust it....headgasket can't fix what SHOULD have been a semi-closed deck to start with...

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
One of my friends wound up getting the R over the RS on account of the latter's spine crunching ride. Still, that's a lot of performance for ~30 grand.

According to Matt Farah - KW DDC adaptive coilovers fix the ride and improves handling. I agree, lot of fast for the money. Downside is that it was only in the US market for a brief time and now on the way out so there are not many of them on the road.... support will not be what we are used to. More like owning a Lotus.

McCabe89

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Evo X & Golf R
The 2018s brand new are going for 50-53k here in Canada. There is one crazy dealer in Calgary asking 60k for a new one as well. Cant give them away.

Golf Rs are 45-47k new. STIs are 47-49k new and hold their value really well(for some reason?).

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 Autobahn DSG
The 2018s brand new are going for 50-53k here in Canada. There is one crazy dealer in Calgary asking 60k for a new one as well. Cant give them away.

Golf Rs are 45-47k new. STIs are 47-49k new and hold their value really well(for some reason?).
Subis in general really hold their value in the northern states and North of the border. People really love the AWD systems on them. I live in Western NY and was looking at a WRX before I got my '17 SE. The difference in price was insane.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Subis in general really hold their value in the northern states and North of the border. People really love the AWD systems on them. I live in Western NY and was looking at a WRX before I got my '17 SE. The difference in price was insane.

This is why I got a GTI.... Was looking for a wrx again but a used 2013 was almost the same as what I paid. I sold my Hawkeye with 177k for 14k

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 Autobahn DSG
This is why I got a GTI.... Was looking for a wrx again but a used 2013 was almost the same as what I paid. I sold my Hawkeye with 177k for 14k
The Hawkeye is one of my favorite generations. I was looking at over 30k for a just above base '18 WRX vs 25k for a '17 GTI SE. Between that and the difference in the clutch (the WRX really threw me off during a test drive) the decision was easy.

Nappy216

Ready to race!
I would take one if they were giving them away....:)
I went to test drive one before I bought my VW........just couldn't get past the interior.....didn't even drive it. Shame because they really look awesome on the outside.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
According to Matt Farah - KW DDC adaptive coilovers fix the ride and improves handling. I agree, lot of fast for the money. Downside is that it was only in the US market for a brief time and now on the way out so there are not many of them on the road.... support will not be what we are used to. More like owning a Lotus.

Just checked and yikes, those coils run you nearly three and a half grand. I don't doubt that they're good, but the fact that you have to drop that kind of dough into a brand new suspension setup for your brand new car to make it a viable daily driver is somewhat telling.