GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VCDS - What should I buy and what does it do?

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
I do not have VCDS and know little about it apart from viewing codes etc for diagnosing issues.

Can anyone tell me what would be good to purchase and give me an idea of exactly what can be done with it. For example can you change DSG shift points. I read that you can get a DSG tune but is this possible with VCDS and is it something that I could do given the correct information how this is performed or is a DSG tune something that only an "expert" can do.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I do not have VCDS and know little about it apart from viewing codes etc for diagnosing issues.

Can anyone tell me what would be good to purchase and give me an idea of exactly what can be done with it. For example can you change DSG shift points. I read that you can get a DSG tune but is this possible with VCDS and is it something that I could do given the correct information how this is performed or is a DSG tune something that only an "expert" can do.

VCDS is a diagnostic software. No, you can't use this software to effect changes to the DSG trans.

Changing engine or DSG operation requires tuning software and generally experience as you can break or disable the car without proper knowledge. Tuning or altering the operation of the engine or trans is at this point not a DIY effort for the general population of owners.

marvin1

Ready to race!
VCDS is a diagnostic software. No, you can't use this software to effect changes to the DSG trans.

Changing engine or DSG operation requires tuning software and generally experience as you can break or disable the car without proper knowledge. Tuning or altering the operation of the engine or trans is at this point not a DIY effort for the general population of owners.

BIB! And anyway those sort of alterations would need to be notified to one's Car Insurance Company where no doubt it would merit an increased premium.
:rolleyes:

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG

Thank you for your advice. I thought that was the case but just needed to be sure.