GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Performance air filter testing

H2O_Doc

Ready to race!
People that only look at the HP increase while ignoring the other data points

It’s certainly not a complete picture, unless one cares only about hp. That’s why I thought the second paper, limited as it was, was potentially interesting for examining filtration.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Who is cherry picking?
People that only look at the HP increase while ignoring the other data points
I'm not cherry picking, all I did was share a video. Never made any claims about anything and never denied it not being as good at filtering.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

adam1991

Banned
I'm not cherry picking, all I did was share a video. Never made any claims about anything and never denied it not being as good at filtering.

But reacted badly when someone DID mention its lack of filtering ability.

Further, that someone mentioned it as a tradeoff from its allowing for more airflow that helps create more power.

Your reaction seemed to be one of someone who didn't like that lack of filtering ability to come up...

H2O_Doc

Ready to race!
The sensitivities puzzle me. I’ll accept that I’m the newbie here, but hmmmm.

It’s an interesting topic and understanding the benefits (hp) versus costs (particulates passed into the motor) seems worthwhile.

I had seen industry data published, but to see a journal article was a surprise.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
The sensitivities puzzle me. I’ll accept that I’m the newbie here, but hmmmm.

It’s an interesting topic and understanding the benefits (hp) versus costs (particulates passed into the motor) seems worthwhile.

I had seen industry data published, but to see a journal article was a surprise.
The sensitivity comes from Adam constantly harping on every single thread. Always has something to say in every thread and all threads with him end up in an argument. Hence why he's banned now from him berating a member on a different thread and being temporarily banned in the past.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Having tried K&N, Green Cotton & now on ITG (VWRacingline)..& over several cars going back over the past 24yrs...

Never had any problems...& they do flow better than OEM because they "don't filter as much as OEM"..

But OEM are designed to work in places of high humidity, loads of sand & poor maintenance....

I don't have the above problems so don't need as much "filtration"...however in my years of using them the amount of sand, insects, etc they have caught proves they work...

My current drop in filter is a UK company..ITG who make three layer foam filters..& use a thick oil for the "road" applications..

also ITG make stuff for rally, Dakar etc & also VW motorsports (VW racingline).

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
Having tried K&N, Green Cotton & now on ITG (VWRacingline)..& over several cars going back over the past 24yrs...

Never had any problems...& they do flow better than OEM because they "don't filter as much as OEM"..

But OEM are designed to work in places of high humidity, loads of sand & poor maintenance....

I don't have the above problems so don't need as much "filtration"...however in my years of using them the amount of sand, insects, etc they have caught proves they work...

My current drop in filter is a UK company..ITG who make three layer foam filters..& use a thick oil for the "road" applications..

also ITG make stuff for rally, Dakar etc & also VW motorsports (VW racingline).

Thoughts on the dry AFE panel filter?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I didn't think the stock filter restricted enough air to make a difference. If a filter with poor filtration only adds 2-3 HP, which isn't going to make any difference in accleleration, why bother? And the supposed additional power is well within variables. Your engine output is dependent on so many environmental and operational factors, you'll get a few HP difference from one pull to another anyway.

TheSwede

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf7 Alltrack/Cupra
I have used JR and K&N oiled filters over the years in different VAG cars. Haven’t found any debris / fine dust in the intake channels after the filter. I analyse it in detail!
What about BMC oiled filters compared to others? Where do they stand, do BMC filter smaller particles than K&N?

If BMC are better I will buy one ASAP. Have K&N now since a couple of months in m Cupra R. E.g. for VW Golf R / GTI / Seat Leon Cupra uses BMC FB756/20

/Peter

Last edited:

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
I have used JR and K&N oiled filters over the years in different VAG cars. Haven’t found any debris / fine dust in the intake channels after the filter. I analyse it in detail!
What about BMC oiled filters compared to others? Where do they stand, do BMC filter smaller particles than K&N?

If BMC are better I will buy one ASAP. Have K&N now since a couple of months in m Cupra R. E.g. for VW Golf R / GTI / Seat Leon Cupra uses BMC FB750/20

/Peter

BMC filters better than OEM while also flowing better. It's what I use in my car.

Aelwulf

Ready to race!
Thoughts on the dry AFE panel filter?

Since the thread's pulled up and second time asked about aFe/alternatives without an answer:

I ran an aFe full system on my '99 Ram for years with a dry filter. Worked well, no issues with anything extra where it shouldn't be, and easy to clean.

I have one now in the GTI as, at minimum, it should flow more air with sufficient (at minimum) filtration, still easy to clean, adds some sound, and I don't have to replace filters once a year or whatnot.

I also used a dry AMSOil filter on my MINI JCW in a JCW filter box (MINI JCW disposable filters were $200 at the time 0.o ) that also did well.

The MST (I think it is?) brand CAI also seems to use a dry cone filter so more are introducing them.

Earlier on there's a post in this thread as well about the aFe filtering better than the K&N. I'd believe it, although don't have anything specific to back it up. Years ago when I put one on the truck there were some articles stating the aFe surprised some oiled filter fans with it's efficiency, but I don't remember which. Google would probably bring up some things, good or bad.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Since the thread's pulled up and second time asked about aFe/alternatives without an answer:

I ran an aFe full system on my '99 Ram for years with a dry filter. Worked well, no issues with anything extra where it shouldn't be, and easy to clean.

I have one now in the GTI as, at minimum, it should flow more air with sufficient (at minimum) filtration, still easy to clean, adds some sound, and I don't have to replace filters once a year or whatnot.

I also used a dry AMSOil filter on my MINI JCW in a JCW filter box (MINI JCW disposable filters were $200 at the time 0.o ) that also did well.

The MST (I think it is?) brand CAI also seems to use a dry cone filter so more are introducing them.

Earlier on there's a post in this thread as well about the aFe filtering better than the K&N. I'd believe it, although don't have anything specific to back it up. Years ago when I put one on the truck there were some articles stating the aFe surprised some oiled filter fans with it's efficiency, but I don't remember which. Google would probably bring up some things, good or bad.

aFe doesn't have any specs about how well it filters on their website, which is strange. I always wondered how well it filtered. I'll have to do some googling.... although nearly everything is just user reviews, no actual scientific analysis, damn you enthusiasts!