GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MT review from 11/82 - the original Mk1 Rabbit GTI

paulkromz

Drag Racing Champion
If you are in the USA, we did not get the Westmoreland GTI in 1982. We got it in 1983. 1982 Had the Rabbit.

Thanks for sharing.... most of these MK7 kids don't know jack about the original einser.

Best,

Paul

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Great find, Kevin. I remember when they came out. There were faster and more comfortable cars.

As for VW's, I almost bought a new 1971 Beetle. They were expensive, and every little accessory cost a lot of money. Options included a locking engine compartment and I think even the fuel gauge. For a little more I bought a new Chevy Nova.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
The reviews were all published ahead of the car arriving at dealerships - MT, C&D, VW&Porsche all had glowing reviews out. I placed a deposit and got one from the first truckload delivered to my local dealer (Carlsen VW in Palo Alto, CA).

2 memories of that night - one, the F&I manager tried to slip something onto the contract that I'd never agreed to, and I made him tear it up and redo it, something that was a lot more complicated back then than it would be now. He was NOT happy, but the alternative was I would have walked out. Complete asswipe. Secondly, on the way home, I accidentally hit the wiper switch, and the driver's side wiper didn't move at all, while the passenger side worked fine. WTF? Turned out the splines were completely stripped on the arm on the driver's side. On a brand new car, how is that possible? And - no replacement part available yet. Different part than the standard Rabbit because it had a little wind deflector on it to keep it planted to the windshield at those breakneck speeds this thing would be achieving (ha). I loved that car, putting 59k miles on it in TWO years, but the build quality was beyond abysmal. Typical Westmoreland junk.