Tough guy or waver?

• Tough Guy

Votes: 59 21.1%
  • Waver

Votes: 220 78.9%

• Total voters

JD-1

Ready to race!
Anyone notice people driving GLI's are usually more excited than GTI drivers?

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
I've only had one wave since I bought my GTI last November. Took me a second to realize what was happening. Smacked my hand on my window in a rush to wave back forgetting it was only partially opened. Probably looked like a fool lol but I couldn't stop looking at his Mk6 as I drive by. It was the best one I've seen.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

that is hilarious

adam1991

Banned
Trying to spark a humorous discussion here.

Since owning a VW in 2012, I have learned of the very deep following many of us share and would like to maintain towards our brand(s). Growing up in a Mopar household, the extent of my VW knowledge stopped at "Beatles are ugly". After working for the brand for a few years however all of that changed. It is a strong community full of very loyal followers. I admire it.

I must say however, not many of us wave. Since having my GTI, I have had one other GTI driver interaction on the road. They were very enthusiastic at that, and were trying to make up for all the tough guy sour faces I see. Honked at me even :D Thank you black GTI S APR stage II owner, you were very kind. I myself wave at my fellow kamerades, I usually get the dead, motionless hand at the 12 o'clock position in return. Just curious what others felt, do you just wave at GTIs like yours? Or are there other stipulations? Lol. I just don't want to be one of two guys who wave.

Years ago this very discussion came up among the wanks on PriusChat. The Prius had been on the market 5-6 years at that point, and people were commiserating about how "nobody waves anymore, remember when every Prius driver used to wave at every other Prius driver, now plain normal people who don't care about our community are buying and driving them".

All I could see in my mind was dorks grinning and waving at one another as they drive down the road, convincing themselves that they were "special".

And guess what--nothing's changed.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Waves if waved at. Otherwise I'm busy driving. Kindly fuck off.

RichardCranium

Ready to race!

+1.

Sorry, we’re not buddies because we happen to own the same car. I’ll wave back if waved at and I’ll talk to you in the parking lot if you approach me, but I don’t go seeking comraderie because we own similar possessions.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I'll wave if modded, if stock, we don't have similar interests.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36

+1.

Sorry, we’re not buddies because we happen to own the same car. I’ll wave back if waved at and I’ll talk to you in the parking lot if you approach me, but I don’t go seeking camaraderie because we own similar possessions.

Exactly, and as long as I actually see the wave, which could be few and far between.

I'll wave if modded, if stock, we don't have similar interests.

The few times I wave it is normally for this. I end up waving more to others driving some crazy awesome hot rods and older vehicles.

Verichai

Passed Driver's Ed
There are so many GTIs where I live that if I waved at every one I wouldn't have time to steer the car. Fellow GTIs do frequently pull up next to me on the highway and blip their throttles, but I'm not sure if the driver is waving or what because the windows are usually tinted.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
My process is: wave, wave harder, wave violently, second gear romp fly by, let off so dv is louder than needed, wave violently, challenge to race, troll lololol, follow (for hours if needed) , nice car bro, ask about every single mod, pester as to why he's not is38 yet, convince to run ethanol, wave violently, go for coffee, bfs 4 life.

adam1991

Banned

* how do you know they're waving at you

* how do you know WHY they're waving

The odds are superb that if someone in traffic is waving at you, either you've got a low tire or else he's got mental problems.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI

The odds are superb that if someone in traffic is waving at you, either you've got a low tire or else he's got mental problems.

Don’t overthink it. If people do something nice and you are opposed it says more about you.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36

This is never the case.... ever. People use their horn for that.... Even then, only 1% of the population would even bother to inform you. And if they are able to inform you to such, you should have realized it before then....