GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes / Chassis - Sponsored by The Tire Rack

The Tire Rack
Welcome to the Wheels and Tires section of GOLFMK7. This area is proudly sponsored by The Tire Rack.

If you are making a purchase from TireRack, please help support GOLFMK7 by clicking through to them with this link or clicking on the Tire Rack banner ad. Doing so helps give back to GOLFMK7 so we can keep this place running!

Old 06-17-2019, 04:14 PM   #18
odessa.filez

Drives: 2016 GSW 1.8T S
BC Racing sells the parts used in their coilovers. Buy their rear ride height adjusters for around $100 for a pair. Buy two Eibach springs off Amazon at a spring rate and length that backs into or can be adjusted to your desired height. Total should run $225 to $250.

You could pick up a cheap set of lowering springs with a lower spring rate and build the ride height and spring rate back with spring rubbers. Or you could use GTI rear springs.

You could use GTI springs and get a bigger rear bar.

Edit: one more

You could use GTI springs and pack your bump stops so they engage sooner (or immediately) to add spring rate.

Last edited by odessa.filez; 06-17-2019 at 04:23 PM.
odessa.filez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 04:27 PM   #19
flipflp

Drives: 2016 Golf R DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by odessa.filez View Post
BC Racing sells the parts used in their coilovers. Buy their rear ride height adjusters for around $100 for a pair. Buy two Eibach springs off Amazon at a spring rate and length that backs into or can be adjusted to your desired height. Total should run $225 to $250.

You could pick up a cheap set of lowering springs with a lower spring rate and build the ride height and spring rate back with spring rubbers. Or you could use GTI rear springs.

You could use GTI springs and get a bigger rear bar.
These are great suggestions, thank you! I'm going to try the heater hose option first before I go all mad scientist. I'll post back how that goes soon.

I do think if I'm going that far I will step up to Ground Control coils with custom F/R rates or bite the bullet on PSS10s.

The EMD RS3 rear bar I have does allow for a 3rd higher setting but I'd need to get spherical links because of the weird angle it puts them at, so I could probably get by with slightly softer rear springs as well.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:29 PM   #20
flipflp

Drives: 2016 Golf R DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNotZoidberg? View Post
I'd try the Clubsport rear springs, part # 5Q0511115HL.

I actually intend to get all 4 CS springs, as I also find the stock GTI springs soft, and there are no aftermartket increased rate springs without lowering.

You can get them from e-acca, cheaper than any aftermarket:

https://www.e-acca.com/search.html?a...l_price&term=0

edit: CSS front springs are 5Q0411105JF, but I don't know the part# for the rears; CSS should be even lower than CS, if you could find them.
CS/CSS springs could be an interesting option if they were readily available at least. I'd bet I'm very close to their rates now (advertised by EMD is 270fr/300rr) but GTI springs would probably be short in the rear and I could stack to get some height back. Again though, if I'm ripping the car apart I'm probably just going to Round 3 on suspension to something completely different.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:40 PM   #21
odessa.filez

Drives: 2016 GSW 1.8T S
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflp View Post
These are great suggestions, thank you! I'm going to try the heater hose option first before I go all mad scientist. I'll post back how that goes soon.

I do think if I'm going that far I will step up to Ground Control coils with custom F/R rates or bite the bullet on PSS10s.

The EMD RS3 rear bar I have does allow for a 3rd higher setting but I'd need to get spherical links because of the weird angle it puts them at, so I could probably get by with slightly softer rear springs as well.
Yeah if you're close to pursuing a broader package in the near future, might as well just wait and solve it then.

I use both the bump stop packers trick and spring rubbers to make meaningful rate changes when the car autocrosses. The beauty is install is so easy and going to street setup is just as easy. Adds 10 minutes max to my pre-event setup routine (and about 10 mins to go back to street setup).
Old 06-17-2019, 05:23 PM   #22
jackalope

Drives: Golf
Rake is better than leaning backwards!
jackalope is online now   Reply With Quote