GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Regional Forums > Great Lakes

Old 08-13-2019, 03:51 PM   #1
eajr

Drives: '15 GTI SE 6MT
Chicagoland Folks, what gas do you run?

Hey all,

Just wondering what gas do my neighbors here in the Chicagoland area run? I exclusively run Shell V-Power Nitro+. I just filled up on some Exxon Mobil Supreme+ 93, and the car is running smooth. Too early to compare to Shell, but definitely a top tier gas. What do you run?
eajr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:33 PM   #2
fretburnr

Drives: 2017 GTI Sport DSG
Shell or Mobil here as much as I can. When I'm on road trips (frequently on the interstate between here and Ohio) I use the Sunoco at the Indiana/Ohio rest stops.
Old 08-14-2019, 01:20 PM   #3
Mk_GTI

Drives: 2018 Golf R
Shell, Mobil or BP. No crap gas from Shitgo or other lower tier suppliers, unless it's a last resort and that only rarely happens on road trips.
Mk_GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:15 PM   #4
eajr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk_GTI View Post
Shell, Mobil or BP. No crap gas from Shitgo or other lower tier suppliers, unless it's a last resort and that only rarely happens on road trips.
I used BP for the majority of the cars life until I filled up one day and had catastrophic problems due to the fuel being 75% water. For the past year I've been feeding her nothing but V Power

A lot of people have told me that Shell is more than likely the best that you can get due to its cleaning detergents and other additives. I have read on the Mobil website that their Supreme+ Premium fuel is sometimes blended/sold as 91 oct in some US parts.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:45 PM   #5
Boondock

Drives: 2015 GTI S 2dr
Costco or Shell.

New Car - 2015 MkVII GTI S - 2 Door - Carbon Steel Gray
Boondock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 04:52 AM   #6
Dan00Hawk

Drives: 2017 GTI
Typically Costco. But I've used Speedway or other "non top tier" stations on a rare occasion and haven't noticed any issues. When I had my Focus ST, my Accessport had a monitor setting for the "Octane Adjustment Ratio" which would essentially let me know if the fuel was lower quality. Never had a problem regardless of where I filled up.

From my research, Top Tier Fuels typically just have more detergents, and the base fuel for most every station comes from the same refineries in the local area. Effective marketing helps consumers believe there is a vast difference, but I've not noticed a difference in the way either my Focus ST Stage 1 or GTI Stage 1 ran on any of the different 93 octane fuels around my area.
Dan00Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 07:26 AM   #7
eajr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan00Hawk View Post
Typically Costco. But I've used Speedway or other "non top tier" stations on a rare occasion and haven't noticed any issues. When I had my Focus ST, my Accessport had a monitor setting for the "Octane Adjustment Ratio" which would essentially let me know if the fuel was lower quality. Never had a problem regardless of where I filled up.

From my research, Top Tier Fuels typically just have more detergents, and the base fuel for most every station comes from the same refineries in the local area. Effective marketing helps consumers believe there is a vast difference, but I've not noticed a difference in the way either my Focus ST Stage 1 or GTI Stage 1 ran on any of the different 93 octane fuels around my area.
Just curious, what does a gallon of Costco premium cost these days? The closest Shell to me is usually $3.99/gallon.
Old 08-16-2019, 01:53 AM   #8
Dan00Hawk

Drives: 2017 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by eajr View Post
Just curious, what does a gallon of Costco premium cost these days? The closest Shell to me is usually $3.99/gallon.
$3.29 at Bolingbrook today according to Gas Buddy.
Dan00Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 12:32 AM   #9
Boondock

Drives: 2015 GTI S 2dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan00Hawk View Post
$3.29 at Bolingbrook today according to Gas Buddy.
$2.87 at Bloomingdale Costco 8/17 for 93.

New Car - 2015 MkVII GTI S - 2 Door - Carbon Steel Gray
Boondock is offline   Reply With Quote