GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wheel hop questions

cambs_gti

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi all,

So I'm brand new to modding and am thinking about going Stage 1 on my GTI PP. However, even as stock, if I put my foot down hard if first gear, and the road is even slightly slick, or there's slight bumps etc, as I reach the top of the rev range, there's a massive... how to describe this...

BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG

and the car judders about.

So I have a few questions....

1) Is this wheel hop, or something else? Just want to make sure I'm not trying to solve the wrong problem!
2) What is the best solution to sorting this out? I'm looking around and seeing some people changing the dogbone inserts (which I think are about £50), and some changing all the engine mounts, which are upwards of £400. Being new to modding, I'd like to spend as little as possible, and get the best bang for my buck (or pound, I should say)
3) I'm looking at Revo hardware at the moment, and none of their hardware is called "dogbone mount". In the right sort of price range I can see a "lower torque mount kit", is this what I'm after? Would this make a difference or would I be changing the wrong thing? Perhaps it wouldn't make a big enough difference?

I'm basically looking for a complete beginners guide to resolving wheel hop, which I can't really see anywhere on this site. What would also be useful is alternative names for parts such as the dogbone mount, which might be better for searching or more common over here in the UK.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
Yes, that's wheel hop, a characteristic of FWD VW's.

Cheapest solution = control you right foot.
You can start with an subframe insert since that's the cheapest.

Engine mounts, transmission mounts and dogbone (lower torque mount), that uses harder polyurethane bushings will help control the torqueing of the engine.

But all these can have consequences, increased noises and vibrations, which you may or may not tolerate.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Buy some grippier tires...

cambs_gti

Passed Driver's Ed
Buy some grippier tires...

Thanks for your input!

I am currently running Pirelli P Zero tyres which by all accounts are a great performance summer tyre. They're also a lot more expensive than even the full set of engine mounts that I said were already more than what I'd like to spend.

DiscusInferno, thanks for your input. Maybe when I go stage 1 I'll get the garage to fit a Revo torque mount as well

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
"I put my foot down hard if first gear" <--There is half your problem, drive the car instead of mashing your foot down. Then get stickier rubber, a dog-bone insert and upgraded mounts.

cambs_gti

Passed Driver's Ed
Do any of you guys get wheel hop when launching at 4000rpm, like the in-built launch mode is designed to do? Or do we all just have to give that a miss?

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Pendulum mount is the other name for the dog bone and should help in your searches. People call that banging noise wheel hop, but here's what's actually happening: your drivetrain loads up the mounts from applying torque to the wheels, when they suddenly slip, it unloads the mounts and the engine and trans release like a rubber band, the tires grip again reloading the forces on everything and the engine and trans swing back, like a pendulum (that's where the mount gets it's name!). The wheels also hop while this is happening. If you add power, this can actually happen in higher gears too if the tires break loose. The pendulum mount upgrade is likely enough at stock power levels, but it will also put more force on your upper mounts, wearing them out faster. If you're tuned, you're eventually going to need new upper mounts too.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Stage 1 engine mounts are the way to go.

Evil Minion

Ready to race!
Pile my opinion onto the "better tires, better driving" responses.

I had P Zero tires on my old mustang and they were just garbage tires, especially for the price. Switched to the Indy 500's back then and got the same for the GTI in the summers.

Aside from not mashing the gas pedal in 1st or 2nd, I can literally turn my wheel hop on and off by changing between my winter and summer tires. With the winters the wheel hop is horrendous, but as soon as I put on the summers the wheel hop is entirely eliminated on the same day same conditions, if I try to make it happen (sometimes it's just fun to peel away, because I am a child lol).

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
I like the 034 engine and transmission mounts and dogbone insert. Some prefer the BFI mounts. That will reduce along with grippier tires, but you still need to feather in the throttle.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
S E A R C H

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
T H A N K S F O R Y O U R V A L U A B L E I N P U T J A C K A S S

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Don’t get personal.

I’ve been on this site for a long time. Every day 75% of the newly created threads are the same questions being posed... over... and over... and over.

It gets old. Besides, why should we care and answer your question when you spent 0 effort, when it’s been answered hundreds of times before?

Try going to google, searching what you’re looking for while adding “site:www.golfmk7.com” in the search bar behind your search.

Go nuts, mate:

https://www.google.com/search?q=wheel+hop+site:www.golfmk7.com