GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG gargle

jtitocci

Ready to race!
Not a smooth Idle? I'd probably start there. Aside from Cold start up, my idle is pretty smooth. That being said, I have a JB1, so that may or may not affect my idle.

As far as the sound goes, I've done some reading, and didnt really find anything that showed that it was problematic. My thought process was "stop worrying about it, drive it like you stole it, and hopefully the transmission blows up before 60k miles, so I can get it replaced under warranty" - I know this isn't very good advice, but one thing I do believe is that often times, our minds play tricks on us, we hear things, or focus on things, that others may not, even notice. Especially because we tend to be true enthusiasts, and very "in tune" with our cars. My wife always says I'm crazy, because I hear/feel things, so faint, that she would never even notice, unless I didn't point it out.

Welshy GOLF MK6

Passed Driver's Ed
Re: idle, I read many people gti has rough idle. From this forum and other vw gti sites. The rev counter needle doesn't move at all, just a slight rough idle.

Yeah my misses says I'm crazy too and even my parents. They keep saying there's nothing wrong with the car and etc. I've got OCD so I like it to be perfect haha.

My car is on fianance, The most mileage I can do is another 20,000 miles (in-total 30,000). Then I'm going to give it back haha.

Last edited:

jtitocci

Ready to race!
Re: idle, I read many people gti has rough idle. From this forum and other vw gti sites. The rev counter needle doesn't move at all, just a slight rough idle.

Yeah my misses says I'm crazy too and even my parents. They keep saying there's nothing wrong with the car and etc. I've got OCD so I like it to be perfect haha.

My car is on fianance, The most mileage I can do is another 20,000 miles (in-total 30,000). Then I'm going to give it back haha.

Well in that case, if your just leasing, I most certainly wouldn't put to much into it. If you want to get it checked out and report back, I'm sure others could use the info.

Welshy GOLF MK6

Passed Driver's Ed
I will mention this gargle noise on my next service which is in the next couple of months time and I will report back :)

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG
Hello @Sean Cymru, sorry for reply too late, did you find a solution? I have the same noise on mk7 gti 67.000km.

It’s normal, when taking your foot off the brake to hear some “gurgling” noises sometimes, the clutch packs make some chatter when they get mileage on them.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

I have no idea what your hearing but it's not the clutch engaging. The clutch engages instantly even if you let up on the brake pedal slightly. In fact I had a bad habit of sitting at a stoplight without pressing the brake pedal hard enough so the RPM's would rise slightly because the clutch was engaging.

TheGreyGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Gargle like a if you had water in your mouth and you start gargle it with your throat lol. That type of gargle lol. It's coming from the engine bay. Whether cold or hot weather climate. It's definately the clutch.

I just imagined my car making those noises and kinda literally lol'd

zinfamous

Go Kart Newbie
I just imagined my car making those noises and kinda literally lol'd

I hear ya man and just to be safe, I went ahead and did the toothpaste fix to my faded headlights. I heard that worked....and even if it doesn't, at least my headlights are minty fresh.

Evil Minion

Ready to race!
It’s normal, when taking your foot off the brake to hear some “gurgling” noises sometimes, the clutch packs make some chatter when they get mileage on them.

Not sure what's up with your car, but definitely NOT normal.

I have over 109,000 miles on mine, and it's as silent as it was on day one when taking my foot off the brake...

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG
Not sure what's up with your car, but definitely NOT normal.

I have over 109,000 miles on mine, and it's as silent as it was on day one when taking my foot off the brake...

There are many threads on weird dsg behavior/noise. Some people don’t pick up small noises that others do (please don’t take offense, not saying you have bad hearing). When I first got my car, it made all sorts of noise, but after many hours and weeks of reading and talking to other people I found its normal for them to make noise, as long as it’s not excessive. My dad thinks I'm crazy and doesn't hear anything, lol :)

Last edited:

Evil Minion

Ready to race!
There are many threads on weird dsg behavior/noise. Some people don’t pick up small noises that others do (please don’t take offense, not saying you have bad hearing). When I first got my car, it made all sorts of noise, but after many hours and weeks of reading and talking to other people I found its normal for them to make noise, as long as it’s not excessive. My dad thinks I'm crazy and doesn't hear anything, lol :)

Oh for sure it makes it's quirky DSG noises, but nothing when letting off of the brake as you mentioned, definitely no gargling, and I'm highly sensitive to new and strange noises as I'm always worried the stereotypical German reliability is going to rear its ugly head one of these days haha

So far zero issues though! :D

Mr.Robot

Jacob, did you find out a solution?
I can reproduce the noise easy, when I'm stopped with P, engine on, I press the brake pedal and when I release, noise start and is coming from the engine bay, from the alternator side. Noise runs like 15 secs. Every time that I release the brake pedal.