GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bilstein B8 Shock VS stock absorber

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI
Currently on 125000 KM mileage

Wow! Seems at that mileage your shocks might be done for, unless your roads are amazing.

Since stock our cars are under-dampered, any shocks upgrade will do wonders for you, Bilstein, Koni etc.

I don't think for a DD with no track time it's worth ruining the ride quality with lowering springs.

Last edited:

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
Bilstein B8 is a great damper.

It is a high pressure monotube design, vs low-pressure twin tube like the OE (likely Sachs), Koni's, and Bilstein B4.

The monotube is a rally proven design also.

I had the B8 (Sports) on my previous car which lasted over 150,000 miles before the front right strut blew and leaked oil.

Keep in mind, though, up front, with the struts, you cannot install the factory style bump stop (shaft diameter too large), as it has internal bump stop. The rear shocks, you use factory style bump stop.

ckf80

Passed Driver's Ed
Wow! Seems at that mileage your shocks might be done for, unless your roads are amazing.

Since stock our cars are under-dampered, any shocks upgrade will do wonders for you, Bilstein, Koni etc.

I don't think for a DD with no track time it's worth ruining the ride quality with lowering springs.

Hi,

:D My stock absorber currently no leaking but just feel like not stable , the road in my country quit bumpy too and the selected highway in my country is the only place i can speed.

may i know what means by DD ?

Thanks

ckf80

Passed Driver's Ed
Bilstein B8 is a great damper.

It is a high pressure monotube design, vs low-pressure twin tube like the OE (likely Sachs), Koni's, and Bilstein B4.

The monotube is a rally proven design also.

I had the B8 (Sports) on my previous car which lasted over 150,000 miles before the front right strut blew and leaked oil.

Keep in mind, though, up front, with the struts, you cannot install the factory style bump stop (shaft diameter too large), as it has internal bump stop. The rear shocks, you use factory style bump stop.

:D thanks for the feedback will keep that in mind.

Thanks

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI
Hi,

:D My stock absorber currently no leaking but just feel like not stable , the road in my country quit bumpy too and the selected highway in my country is the only place i can speed.

may i know what means by DD ?

Thanks
DD = daily driver

The shocks might not be leaky yet, but they're what would make your car feel wobbly at that mileage, especially on poor roads.

I'm pretty sure upgraded shocks would make a world of difference.

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
At the same time, don't get stiffer anti-sway bars.

Great for when the roads are smooth, but on bumpy roads, it will make the independent suspension behave more like a live axle.

ckf80

Passed Driver's Ed
At the same time, don't get stiffer anti-sway bars.

Great for when the roads are smooth, but on bumpy roads, it will make the independent suspension behave more like a live axle.

ok bro thanks for the advise. Won't do the upgrade at once, will do the upgrade step by step to monitor the difference of each part add on.:D

Visceral

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks for the feedback seems like lower spring + OE shock / B8 is enough to hold my current engine output. My concern to upgrade the suspension is to improve handling and prevent the unstable feeling during high way speed.

I currently ride on H&R OE Sports paired with Koni Yellows and cannot be happier. Although you didn't mention it, this combo will also provide a slight reduction in ride height (approx .75", but that may vary). Anyway, I still have plenty of clearance to avoid the occasional road debris.

ckf80

Passed Driver's Ed
I currently ride on H&R OE Sports paired with Koni Yellows and cannot be happier. Although you didn't mention it, this combo will also provide a slight reduction in ride height (approx .75", but that may vary). Anyway, I still have plenty of clearance to avoid the occasional road debris.

:D thanks for the suggestion will keep that in my option list.

Cssoz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf 7, 2017 1.8T
I have B8 with Eibach springs and it only rides slightly rougher than stock. I DD my car and even with how shitty the roads are in San Antonio, I haven't had any issues with this setup.
Hey! im wondering if your ride quality has changed since if you still have the same set up.

Im thinking of going Stock strut/shock until i need to replace them with B8 Plus along with Eibach E10-15-021-02-22.

It is under-damped like many others are saying on other forums ?

Thank you!

BananaSlug

Ready to race!
Hey! im wondering if your ride quality has changed since if you still have the same set up.

Im thinking of going Stock strut/shock until i need to replace them with B8 Plus along with Eibach E10-15-021-02-22.

It is under-damped like many others are saying on other forums ?

Thank you!
I don't have the car anymore, but towards the end of ownership the car did seem pretty stiff. I had the B8/Eibach setup for almost 3 years and compared to my friend's stock GLI, it was a noticeable difference in how the cars handled bumps.

Cssoz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf 7, 2017 1.8T
I don't have the car anymore, but towards the end of ownership the car did seem pretty stiff. I had the B8/Eibach setup for almost 3 years and compared to my friend's stock GLI, it was a noticeable difference in how the cars handled bumps.
Thanks for the reply!

it is under-damped ? bouncy over potholes/bumps or just stiffy in terms of not as comfortable ?

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
Thanks for the reply!

it is under-damped ? bouncy over potholes/bumps or just stiffy in terms of not as comfortable ?
I have B8's albeit with DG springs. I can say they aren't bouncy over bumps or pot holes like my stock shocks were. They are stiffer than the OEM shocks but not by a large margin. Bilstein has been quoted to saying the B8's are 10-15% stiffer than stock and I would say that sounds about right. As far as comfort goes I would say that they are less comfortable than stock but by a small margin. For that decrease in comfort you get a much less bouncy ride and less of a floaty feeling overall.

Cssoz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf 7, 2017 1.8T
I have B8's albeit with DG springs. I can say they aren't bouncy over bumps or pot holes like my stock shocks were. They are stiffer than the OEM shocks but not by a large margin. Bilstein has been quoted to saying the B8's are 10-15% stiffer than stock and I would say that sounds about right. As far as comfort goes I would say that they are less comfortable than stock but by a small margin. For that decrease in comfort you get a much less bouncy ride and less of a floaty feeling overall.
How much lower is your car now ? since with B8 + DG springs?
Ty