GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ac condenser knackered

kinch

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi people. 2 years ago within warranty period my ac on my mk7 gtd failed and the compressor was replaced by vw. Now 2 years on after visiting my local well established non vw garage for a ac service/recharge because I had no cold air coming through the vents they tell me there's a leak in my condenser. How easy or difficult is it to replace this and recharge diy? I checked Carparts4less and there's 3 condensers listed from £77-200 different makes. Are they all the same quality and would any fit my car?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Doesn't their website tell you what fits? And what caused the leak?

GoatPowder

Ready to race!
If the part numbers all cross then they're the same part. Just buy the cheapest.

As for the recharge; do you have access to a vacuum pump and gauge set? Otherwise swap the condensor yourself (don't forget the o-rings, and use nylog if you can find it) and pay a shop for the recharge procedure.

And I'm not condoning it, but depending on your moral compass, but if you were to find a independent shop to recharge it, they may charge it with R134a... for a quarter of the cost. The operating pressures are similar enough it'll work fine; it's just not as environmentally friendly if you spring another leak.

Last edited:

cb1111

If the part numbers all cross then they're the same part. Just buy the cheapest.

As for the recharge; do you have access to a vacuum pump and gauge set? Otherwise swap the condensor yourself (don't forget the o-rings, and use nylog if you can find it) and pay a shop for the recharge procedure.

And I'm not condoning it, but depending on your moral compass, but if you were to find a independent shop to recharge it, they may charge it with R134a... for a quarter of the cost. The operating pressures are similar enough it'll work fine; it's just not as environmentally friendly if you spring another leak.
and it Europe that'll put a couple of people in jail.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
I just replaced mine due to a leak. I bought the cheapest one I could find, installed it myself but brought it to a shop for the recharge. It's working great.

The install is easy, but like Goatpowder said be sure to use new o-rings and lube them up with oil first.

kinch

Passed Driver's Ed
I just replaced mine due to a leak. I bought the cheapest one I could find, installed it myself but brought it to a shop for the recharge. It's working great.

The install is easy, but like Goatpowder said be sure to use new o-rings and lube them up with oil first.

What's the process for replacement? Does the front bumper need to come off off?

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
What's the process for replacement? Does the front bumper need to come off off?
Yes bumper definitely has to come off. You can use the shopdap intercooler install vid for help. If you don't have ACC it may be possible to work the condenser out without taking off the crash bar, but I can't confirm that.

https://youtu.be/g2abu2DZIO0

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

kinch

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes bumper definitely has to come off. You can use the shopdap intercooler install vid for help. If you don't have ACC it may be possible to work the condenser out without taking off the crash bar, but I can't confirm that.

https://youtu.be/g2abu2DZIO0

How long did it take you? This looks like a bit of a nightmare and I have acc. I can buy a hella condenser for £85. I will get a price from my garage for fitting. If its silly money I might just leave it as I stay in Scotland and I'm lucky if I use the ac 3-4 times in the summer.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
How long did it take you? This looks like a bit of a nightmare and I have acc. I can buy a hella condenser for £85. I will get a price from my garage for fitting. If its silly money I might just leave it as I stay in Scotland and I'm lucky if I use the ac 3-4 times in the summer.
I've taken my bumper off several times so for me the install was quick and easy. If it's your first time it will take a little while but it's really not hard. I imagine it will be expensive if you have a shop do it.

Either way, because of the ACC radar you'll have to take the crash bar off. Unplug the sensor and get it out of the way beforehand so it doesn't get messed up. The good part is you can remove the condenser without going all the way to the intercooler so you don't have to remove the yellow clips that are a pain in the ass.

Removing the condenser is easy, disconnect the two coils and remove the o-ring on each one. Make sure the condenser is properly drained first! (If you had a leak, it will be). It is important to replace with brand new o-rings, lube them with PAG oil first.

I've heard conflicting info in whether or not to add oil to the condenser, probably be ok if you don't, but I added 2.5 oz. Then took it to the shop where they did a pressure check, then vacuum, then fill with freon.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
Cold air and hasn't broke yet. I'm satisfied.

OEM on the bottom, new one up top, damn near identical. And it was actually only $58.

AC Condenser A/C Air Conditioning... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078Z2K6KL?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk