GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

unstable idle in warm temps with a/c running?

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Now that it is reaching the mid 80s here and fairly humid I am noticing when I have my A/C running at a stop my Golf idles a bit rough. Is this normal for the 1.8T or is it the very beginning of something going bad? I don't notice it at all when the outdoor temp is lower say in the 70s.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Now that it is reaching the mid 80s here and fairly humid I am noticing when I have my A/C running at a stop my Golf idles a bit rough. Is this normal for the 1.8T or is it the very beginning of something going bad? I don't notice it at all when the outdoor temp is lower say in the 70s.

Is it only when the AC is running and how many miles do you have?

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Is it only when the AC is running and how many miles do you have?

I think it is with and w/o but barely noticeable without the ac on. I only have 22.5K miles but the last 7K (since I've owned it) have included a lot of very short trips, I live only 3 miles from work.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I think it is with and w/o but barely noticeable without the ac on. I only have 22.5K miles but the last 7K (since I've owned it) have included a lot of very short trips, I live only 3 miles from work.

Those really short trips don't evaporate the condensation that a cold engine produces and doesn't dry out the exhaust either. Do you ever get on it to blow out the carbon build up from those short trips?

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Those really short trips don't evaporate the condensation that a cold engine produces and doesn't dry out the exhaust either. Do you ever get on it to blow out the carbon build up from those short trips?

Yeah I take at least one ride on the interstate each week or two although not very far and usually drive it hard around town on the weekends even if I'm going in circles lol. Does getting on it actually help with carbon build up? My local dealer has an advertisement right now for a fuel saver package that says it includes removal of carbon build up, clean intake valves, clean throttle body, and "improve engine idle."

zinfamous

Go Kart Newbie
Yeah I take at least one ride on the interstate each week or two although not very far and usually drive it hard around town on the weekends even if I'm going in circles lol. Does getting on it actually help with carbon build up? My local dealer has an advertisement right now for a fuel saver package that says it includes removal of carbon build up, clean intake valves, clean throttle body, and "improve engine idle."

Yes, the Italian Tune up works, but you still need to do a valve cleanup like what that package includes. I've seen people recommend every 50-60k miles or so. Depends on how you drive, though. Could be 40k or less.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C9Ie4BcYew

What do they charge for it?

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Yes, the Italian Tune up works, but you still need to do a valve cleanup like what that package includes. I've seen people recommend every 50-60k miles or so. Depends on how you drive, though. Could be 40k or less.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C9Ie4BcYew

What do they charge for it?

I'm not sure I'll try to find out next week. The ad just says $25 off. Maybe I'll wait a while to do it unless it gets worse over the course of the summer. Today it was only 75 out and it didn't seem to have a problem. I do notice the engine sounds a bit whiny whenever the A/C is on at low speeds. That may be typical I've only had this Golf for about a year.