GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Issue: Drivers side rear window won't roll down, child safety lock fault

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
You boys and girls won't believe this (or maybe you will) the car is still at the shop for the poor workmanship on the door cards. I went to take the car back and a quick spot check revealed sub-par work AGAIN and shit rattling in both door cards. I am beyond livid at this point but trying to 'stay cool' to get this done right. I tactfully demanded new door cards and held on to the loaner tiguan which i am actually enjoying.

This whole saga is going on 3 weeks+.

Curious to see pics.

For what it's worth, I put together a list of things you can do to stop door rattling. I posted this on the Jetta forum after a bunch of people were complaining about the new Jetta's rattly doors. I did this preventatively on my Golf doors and they've been silent since. That was 1.5 years ago. Here it is pasted from that thread:

Most door rattles and vibrations can be mitigated with DIY methods. Unfortunately most techs are instructed to "replace", which often doesn't solve problems when the item they are replacing is of a defective design.

I took it upon myself to silence my 2017 MQB Golf's doors (which weren't rattling at all, but I had to remove them for other reasons and wanted to be proactive regarding rattles).

The door panels themselves are made from many different parts that are either "plastic melt riveted" together, stapled together, snap-fit together, or glued together. Sometimes all of the above. They are made from a combination of different plastics and in the case of the Golf (not sure of the MQB Jetta) even fiber board.

I did a few things:

First, I applied sound-deadener on the bare door frame to deaden panel resonance.

Second, on the back side of the door panel, I smeared clear RTV silicone along all the plastic seams and junctions that were melt-riveted together. Those melt-rivet seams are a common source of audible vibration.

Third, I applied 6mm adhesive backed foam sound insulation to the back side of the door panels. I cut many different pieces designed to fit into all the irregular cavities of the door panel and cover about 85% of the panel area overall.

Fourth, I examined ALL the wiring harnesses that run along the door between the door frame and door panel. I supplemented the factory fabric-tape wrapping with additional Tesa tape (the same stuff German OEMs use) and made sure that all the panel clips holding the wiring in place were secure and not able to rattle.

Fifth, while I had the door panels off, I ran a bead of RTV silicone around each speaker frame, where it mates to the door frame. Those speaker frames are NOTORIOUS for leaking water into the cabin.

Sixth, I ran a bead of silicone RTV around the pop-out plastic panel in the door frame that provides access to the window mechanism. It's a large-ish plastic panel and it can be a source of vibration. VW did not design it to fit too tight. With the silicone, if the panel has to be removed for any reason, it's not difficult. RTV does not bind very strongly to surfaces but does an amazing job of damping vibrations.

Now my doors are SILENT. I have the VW Helix amp/subwoofer upgrade and no matter how much bass is pumping through the speakers, my doors are rattle-free and vibration-free. When the doors close they sound like a muffled bank vault door shutting.

I now also rest assured that my doors will not leak water into the car.

There is no way in hell you can expect a dealer to take a holistic approach like this to rid a car of rattles. These are technically modification, which dealers do not do. They only replace.

VW has made a LOT of cost-cutting shortcuts on their MQB cars post-dieselgate. Those rattles are probably one manifestation of those cost-cutting measures. Audis do not have these problems and if you dismantle their door panels, you will see a lot of the above approaches incorporated into the actual design (in the form of more sound insulation, primarily).

Good luck!

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
Curious to see pics.

For what it's worth, I put together a list of things you can do to stop door rattling. I posted this on the Jetta forum after a bunch of people were complaining about the new Jetta's rattly doors. I did this preventatively on my Golf doors and they've been silent since. That was 1.5 years ago. Here it is pasted from that thread:

I appreciate this, but I am talking rattling due to literal poor workmanship and broken clips in the door. BAD.

I will get pics up when I get the car back and travel dies down. Beyond frustrated at the moment.

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
Apologies for the late follow up on this, I just took on a new job that requires 60+% travel, and will have my wife and I relocating to the northeast by end of year... but I did want to close this out.

They ended up replacing a CanBus wire from front driver door to rear. These are the pictures/vid of how the car came back to me originally. Insane.

The good news however is the car has a new door card and clips, and the car has had no issues the past month based on the original window problem. The big dent below unfortunately needed body work.

The dealership took ownership of the mistake and made it right for me, although to say I was upset was an understatement. For what it's worth the dealership is Capistrano VW, in southern CA and despite the carnage below, they may still get future business of mine, albeit with a precursor conversation to not let this happen again. They handled this well, all things considered.

They also just became an APR authorized dealer, too... hrmm... but for now I am back to enjoying an excellent car.

https://i.imgur.com/L6odEM8.mp4

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Jesus, man, what kind of knuckleheads does that dealership hire? I removed all four of my door cards to soundproof my doors. Had never worked on a modern VW before. I had all four cards off without a scratch and without breaking any clips.

I had a similar mishap as you once with my then brand new Mazda3. The dealer monkey FUBAR'd the door card replacing a window regulator. When I asked the service manager how experienced the monkey was, he drooped his head in shame and said he was the least experienced tech they had. I mentioned that this was the second new car I had bought from this dealership, and if they wanted to keep my business, they'd note in my customer account that only their most senior techs would ever touch my car-- even if it were for an oil change. I said that was what it would take to keep me coming back for service and to continue buying cars from them. They agreed, and I never had another service problem with them. In fact, from then on I had nothing but first rate service. I did, however, end up switching brands eventually, but through no fault of the dealer.

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
Jesus, man, what kind of knuckleheads does that dealership hire? I removed all four of my door cards to soundproof my doors. Had never worked on a modern VW before. I had all four cards off without a scratch and without breaking any clips.

I had a similar mishap as you once with my then brand new Mazda3. The dealer monkey FUBAR'd the door card replacing a window regulator. When I asked the service manager how experienced the monkey was, he drooped his head in shame and said he was the least experienced tech they had. I mentioned that this was the second new car I had bought from this dealership, and if they wanted to keep my business, they'd note in my customer account that only their most senior techs would ever touch my car-- even if it were for an oil change. I said that was what it would take to keep me coming back for service and to continue buying cars from them. They agreed, and I never had another service problem with them. In fact, from then on I had nothing but first rate service. I did, however, end up switching brands eventually, but through no fault of the dealer.

Exactly, I am no professional, but a seasoned garage hack. It blew my mind to see such incompetence.

My experience has been similar to yours so far. My service adviser was visibly upset, admitted to another recent problem with that tech, and vowed to only have the most seasoned tech work on it, and it came back fine. A minor issue in the grand scheme of things. I am just happy the car is back and visually 100%. I am by no means OCD, I realize daily drivers will never be perfect... but at the end of the day I am a car guy, and I am finally not fuming over this. Back to enjoying it for now.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Great. I've had this error for a few months, previously it came and went, but now it seems constant. Window is stuck down, lots of rain in the forecast and I just washed the wife's car, perfect.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I wonder if there is a coding change you can make that would override or disable the child safety feature to then enable the window to work... otherwise, get some plastic garbage bags and duct tape to keep the rain out.
It used to not trip the code about one in four times. Right now I seem stuck in a loop. Good idea on seeing if I can bypass it. My newfound free time at home would probably benefit from an OBD11.

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
FYI the fix for me was a new canbus cable, pin to pin. Hasn't come back in 12k miles. *fingers crossed*

442GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
My 2018 GTI just started having this same issue. It happened one day, then disappeared for like a month. It has now been back for a few days. Hate the thought of having the door panels removed to fix this, something tells me that will be the beginning of rattles. This is obviously a defect.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
My 2018 GTI just started having this same issue. It happened one day, then disappeared for like a month. It has now been back for a few days. Hate the thought of having the door panels removed to fix this, something tells me that will be the beginning of rattles. This is obviously a defect.
Hey, I've been dealing with this for a few months. It really got annoying with rain. But then I learned that if I open the rear door, it works fine. So I've just been dealing with it, opening the door while moving as needed. See if that works for you. Not really the most permanent season, but will get me to the next oil change and a normal dealer visit.

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
Still hasnt come back after the canbus overlay. Its been about 16k miles now. Happy with the repair and the car has been literally problem free otherwise. These things happen.

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
I wanted to add, i had my concerns at the time... serious concerns... about a CanBus wire overlay. Please keep me updated on your path to a fix, as I am curious if it differs from mine. As you can see earlier in the thread my experience was less than ideal... but mainly due to the tech doing a bad job on my panels, etc.

442GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
I Should note the rear window works with the rear window door switch, so it won't get stuck. It just stopped working with the drivers door switch (and get the Child Safety Fault error on the display).

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I Should note the rear window works with the rear window door switch, so it won't get stuck. It just stopped working with the drivers door switch (and get the Child Safety Fault error on the display).
Mine did too, for a period. Now it's only with the rear door open. I'm sure at some point it will fully fritz out.