GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IAT question

Loadblaster17

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello everybody, so I have a noob question that maybe someone can give me some insight on. I have a Magic Twintercooler on my car and for the last few months the IAT temps have been much better than what the stock IC alone was reading. Yesterday, I drove my car pretty hard, did quite a few pulls and then stupidly left my car running at the airport waiting to pick someone up for 45 min with the A/C running. I noticed my IATs sky rocketing up into the 140-150. So I drove around on the highway a bit, and while temps got cooler into the 100s, they didn’t drop anymore. I figured my IC was just heat soaked, so this morning when I started my car and drove around it was still up in 100-115 area. Is this normal for it to be 20 degrees above the ambient temperature outside when cruising? And/or what could be wrong? Could I have popped a tube loose? I’m still achieving around 26 PSI on my stratified tune, so I don’t sense any boost leaks.

Disclaimer....I just got back from deployment so I haven’t driven my car in 3 months. When I left it was cool out, so this is the first time I’m driving it in the summer with the new I/C. Sorry for the dumb question, just trying to understand what’s going on and if this it normal. Thanks for the help!

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Yeah you're fine.
I'm getting 20-30f above ambient while cruising around.

Having you AC on may also contribute to the higher temps, as the condenser is right next to the intercooler.

Loadblaster17

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the reply Diggs!

Yeah I knew it was heatsoaked yesterday, I was just more curious if temps were normal now or if I had done something haha.

Buck43

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2021 GTI SE
I’m really happy I found this thread. Lol my IAT is sitting generally around 20 above ambient and 95% of the time I’m just grocery getting. Mind is at ease.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
normal. stock location upgrades and bi coolers are always 5-15f over ambient. being a lil over 15f isnt a big deal. if you were 20f over ambient with a fmic on, you've got a problem lol

Buck43

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2021 GTI SE
normal. stock location upgrades and bi coolers are always 5-15f over ambient. being a lil over 15f isnt a big deal. if you were 20f over ambient with a fmic on, you've got a problem lol
I’m definitely going FMIC with my next purchase lol wanna drive down to the springs and rip my bumper off with me? Lol I pay with beer and food