GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Track day brake pads for R with Performance brakes?

CDM MK7

Ready to race!
He asked for track days only, only street time is going to and back from the track. I would put up with the noise and dust simply because ME20/22 compound is very different than MX72. If you want a track day pad (like he does), you're going to have to compromise street performance. Likewise, MX72's just aren't as good on a track as ME20/22.

So to answer the original question, ME20/22. Get used to swapping pads because I would not run on street for extended time due to increased wear, noise and the inability to get them up to temp.

You have very selective reading my friend ;)

teemmy

Ready to race!
I’ve been running carbotech pads on my track days and they’ve been great. I’ve run xp8 in the past and recently bumped up to xp12s.

I highly recommend fluids + lines and RS3 ducts to help with cooling.

They don’t have much grab when they’re cold but they’ll get you to the track and back safely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CDM MK7

Ready to race!
No, I just don't give out irrelevant information. He asked for a track-only pad. End of discussion. Not a dual duty pad, not a street pad, but a track pad.

Interesting how the OP ended up with a dual duty pad - looks like that ended up being the most relevant in the end, didn't it? :rolleyes:

Maybe next time a little less self-righteousness is in order - especially since I agreed with your recommendation, and literally stated the exact same concerns you had, verbatim.

Anyways, the OP has a resolution so the thread is done.

burgerkong

Drag Racing Champion
Interesting how the OP ended up with a dual duty pad - looks like that ended up being the most relevant in the end, didn't it? :rolleyes:

Maybe next time a little less self-righteousness is in order - especially since I agreed with your recommendation, and literally stated the exact same concerns you had, verbatim.

Anyways, the OP has a resolution so the thread is done.

So you think just because he bought a dual duty pad that your comment had any effect on the outcome? Maybe because Endless pads are hard to get a hold of? Don't pat yourself on the shoulder too hard.

I only stated the drawbacks because you decided to add the flipside to track pads, not because I want him to use a dual duty pad. Otherwise I would've just recommended that and not ME20/22.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Just FYI for anyone swapping pads for track days... I've had several manufacturers of pads tell me that swapping pads can result in rotors cracking, warping, and glaze. Typical recommendation has been to run a dual duty pad on anything other than a true track day only car. I've had many people at the track tell me to swap pads for the track and I've done so with csrbotech in the past, but I have always ended up with cracked and warped rotors. I'm not sure trying out a dual duty pad this time to see how it goes.

I don't have enough data yet, but just a note to anyone else interested...

CDM MK7

Ready to race!
So you think just because he bought a dual duty pad that your comment had any effect on the outcome? Maybe because Endless pads are hard to get a hold of? Don't pat yourself on the shoulder too hard.

I only stated the drawbacks because you decided to add the flipside to track pads, not because I want him to use a dual duty pad. Otherwise I would've just recommended that and not ME20/22.

My issue is that for some reason you're under the impression that I recommended a dual duty pad, which I clearly didn't:

"Other than that, DS2500 and MX72 are good all-around street/track pads, but they are not without their faults. Both dust, and can be noisy on the street. I much prefer to run a dedicated street pad, and then swap over to a track pad when needed"

Hence my "selective reading" comment. Anyways, your recommendation was on point, but maybe ask for clarification next time instead of assuming.

Just FYI for anyone swapping pads for track days... I've had several manufacturers of pads tell me that swapping pads can result in rotors cracking, warping, and glaze. Typical recommendation has been to run a dual duty pad on anything other than a true track day only car. I've had many people at the track tell me to swap pads for the track and I've done so with csrbotech in the past, but I have always ended up with cracked and warped rotors. I'm not sure trying out a dual duty pad this time to see how it goes.

I don't have enough data yet, but just a note to anyone else interested...

Before I started running the Endless PC on street and MX72 on track, I had a conversation with both Endless USA and Endless in Europe and both stated that it is perfectly fine to do so. Only caveat is to scuff up both rotor surface and pad surface with garnet paper when you swap. I did this all last year and had perfectly acceptable results. A lot of Endless users run ME20's on track and MX72 on street as well.

Not saying that this goes for all manufacturers, but for Endless it seems to be the case.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Before I started running the Endless PC on street and MX72 on track, I had a conversation with both Endless USA and Endless in Europe and both stated that it is perfectly fine to do so. Only caveat is to scuff up both rotor surface and pad surface with garnet paper when you swap. I did this all last year and had perfectly acceptable results. A lot of Endless users run ME20's on track and MX72 on street as well.

Not saying that this goes for all manufacturers, but for Endless it seems to be the case.

Carbotech mentioned at one point that I could switch pads, but I had a lot of cracking and warping (I didn't scuff like you're doing, but I did bed the race compound first per their instructions). After several rotors with crazing, I just went to a dual duty pad, and Carbotech retracted their statement at the time. Not a negative in any way since I loved all of their pads (and I wish they had better/affordable options for the pp gti). This was all on my 370z, which was a very different car with very different braking needs. If you're having such good luck with endless I might give them a try when my ferodo wear down. So far, though, the ds2500 have been fantastic on track. Solid feel, consistent braking, very very late fade and when it does occur it's incredibly progressive. My rbf660 fluid on the other hand I've boiled twice, haha :).

Thanks for the feedback, I may have to give scuffing the pads and rotors a try, next go around.

CDM MK7

Ready to race!
Carbotech mentioned at one point that I could switch pads, but I had a lot of cracking and warping (I didn't scuff like you're doing, but I did bed the race compound first per their instructions). After several rotors with crazing, I just went to a dual duty pad, and Carbotech retracted their statement at the time. Not a negative in any way since I loved all of their pads (and I wish they had better/affordable options for the pp gti). This was all on my 370z, which was a very different car with very different braking needs. If you're having such good luck with endless I might give them a try when my ferodo wear down. So far, though, the ds2500 have been fantastic on track. Solid feel, consistent braking, very very late fade and when it does occur it's incredibly progressive. My rbf660 fluid on the other hand I've boiled twice, haha :).

Thanks for the feedback, I may have to give scuffing the pads and rotors a try, next go around.

Big fan of Carbotech. I had multiple sets of the Panther Plus pads back in the day on my 98 Integra Type R. Those teamed up with Kumho V710's were deadly on track. Carbotech is definitely on the higher end of the price spectrum, but you get what you pay for. Endless or Ferodo aren't exactly cheap either!

Obviously, the idea with the garnet paper is just to remove any left over material deposits on the rotor, and to help remove any hardened or overheated pad surface material from the pads which could inhibit bonding to the rotor. It's been effective so far, so I'd definitely recommend trying. Be generous with the scuffing and use a fine grit paper. I use a small sanding block. Don't be afraid to take some decent material off the pads - especially if they got really hot at your last session.

Like you, I also went to a dual duty pad (Endless MX72 - similar type compound to DS2500) and absolutely love them on track - although I have a relatively mild setup and aren't exactly hunting lap times with this car (more casual, for fun). I just hated how badly they dusted ... 3-4 days and my wheels were covered in a thick coat. Got fed up and looked for a composite based pad material vs carbon-metallic. Now I just swap in the MX72 for track days. They work really well together.