GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Auto Headlight Conversion Sensor Issue

mistergutsy

I have a 2016 GTI S (non-auto headlights) with Ed's replica mk7 headlights and HIDs installed. I Picked up an auto headlight sensor as well as an oem vw euro light switch. The sensor works okay, but if the auto lights are triggered at night and you turn off the car and open the door it beeps and sends a message "SWITCH OFF LIGHTS!" in the dash. It seems that all lights turn off after removing the key, but once I open the door the daytime/parking running lights come on and the beeping begins.

Anyone that has done this mod had this problem? I know its not a super high quality solution but I haven't seen a lot of people talk about having this issue, although there has been a few.

I have a 2016 GTI S (non-auto headlights) with Ed's replica mk7 headlights and HIDs installed. I Picked up an auto headlight sensor as well as an oem vw euro light switch. The sensor works okay, but if the auto lights are triggered at night and you turn off the car and open the door it beeps and sends a message "SWITCH OFF LIGHTS!" in the dash. It seems that all lights turn off after removing the key, but once I open the door the daytime/parking running lights come on and the beeping begins.

Anyone that has done this mod had this problem? I know its not a super high quality solution but I haven't seen a lot of people talk about having this issue, although there has been a few.

Its been posted a few times (i have the same sensor). Theres not much you can really do since it is a cheap solution to auto lights. DV52 pointed out that since we dont have a dedicated wire going to the BCM (Body Control Module) theres nothing telling the car that "oh hey, I'm an auto switch, and its ok for the lights to be on right now",

The sensor just intercepts the signal to the car and says "Its dark, force the lights on" it turns them off after x-seconds (depending on what you set your coming home/leaving home time to).

If you need help programming the sensor i can forward you a few manuals i came across that may be somewhat useful (even though theyre all for mk6 switches)