GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Autocross Video

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
I have not seen people post any autocross video in this forum, so here goes. Please feel free to add your own autocross videos to this thread.

I run with the BMW CCA a lot since I have a lot of friends in that organization. Here is my best run from yesterday's event with the Golden Gate chapter at Marina in Northern California. I was on a 255/35R18 tire size for the first time up from 235/40R18 tires, and the added width seemed to make a difference. The Dunlop ZIII tires that are on the car now and which I favor for HPDE use aren't grippy enough for autocross. I will finish off a set of Nitto NT01's next month at Laguna Seca and plan to mount 265/35R18 RE71R tires to that set of 18x9" wheels and use those exclusively for autocross. That size is the max size for AWD cars in STU, where my car would be classed, and that tire remains the preferred tire for street classes among my friends who are more into this sport than I am.

Last edited:

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Hey Cliff,

Which wheels are you running? What offset?

Are you lowered? If so by how much?
Camber Settings?

Have you done any fender clearance mods? Will you need to for the 265 wide tires?

What is the clearance to the fuel filler tube on the right rear?

Your post prompted all me to think about shoehorning a 265 under the car. My 255’s NT01’s fit without any mods all be it on 17’s. Didn’t think 18’s would work, based on my 245 -40-18 MPS4S rubbing slightly on compressions.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
So a 255/35R18 is slightly smaller in diameter than the 235/35R19 OE tire, while a 265/35R18 tire is about the same, so section width is the primary fitment concern for me. I have two sets of Neuspeed 18x9 et45 wheels: RSe11R and RSe10.

I am running 2.5 degrees of camber in front. My car is on adjustable spring perches so I don't really know how much lower than stock it is. My guess would be about an inch in back and a bit over a half inch in front. We raised the front a bit in an unsuccessful effort to see if that would fix some ride height sensor errors being thrown while on track. I plan to do the fender screw modification and there are no other fender mods.

It rubs slightly up front when the suspension compresses sharply during street driving, and the screw mod should take care of that. There was no rubbing while out on course yesterday. I think I have enough clearance in the rear for the larger tire.

Last edited:

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
So a 255/35R18 is slightly smaller in diameter than the 235/35R19 OE tire, while a 265/35R18 tire is about the same, so section width is the primary fitment concern for me. I have two sets of Neuspeed 18x9 et45 wheels: RSe11R and RSe10.

I am running 2.5 degrees of camber in front. My car is on adjustable spring perches so I don't really know how much lower than stock it is. My guess would be about an inch in back and a bit over a half inch in front. We raised the front a bit in an unsuccessful effort to see if that would fix some ride height sensor errors being thrown while on track. I plan to do the fender screw modification and there are no other fender mods.

It rubs slightly up front when the suspension compresses sharply during street driving, and the screw mod should take care of that. There was no rubbing while out on course yesterday. I think I have enough clearance in the rear for the larger tire.

Hey Cliff,

Could you elaborate on the ride height sensor
issue, I’m trying to figure what I want to do with my suspension and have heard you mention this issue before. What FTG height are you?

I have my MkV R prepared well for DE with KW Clubsports, 245 tire, etc, and was hoping to do something similar, coils or GC kit with my 7.5 R but am concerned.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
Hey Cliff,

Could you elaborate on the ride height sensor
issue, I’m trying to figure what I want to do with my suspension and have heard you mention this issue before. What FTG height are you?

I have my MkV R prepared well for DE with KW Clubsports, 245 tire, etc, and was hoping to do something similar, coils or GC kit with my 7.5 R but am concerned.

Approximately 25 3/16 in front and 25" even in the rear.

I am running GC camber plates and their coilover conversion kit with the DCC suspension. I am considering either moving to KW Clubsport or Ohlins coilovers next year. I want to have a set of 265/35R18 tires first so that the installer can use those to properly set ride height. I am leaning towards the Ohlins at the moment although I have friends who run both.

edit: When I was at Willow Springs (WSIR) last December both the left and right ride height sensors threw value out of range errors and shut down DCC completely. This happened twice and ended my day. My shop raised the front of the car a bit (and corner balanced and re-aligned) to see if that would solve the problem. I am still seeing those error codes getting thrown from track days, but WSIR remains the crappy surface king and is the only place that has shut down DCC. To my knowledge none of the 7 or 8 other Golf R owners whom I encounter at HPDE events have experienced this problem.

Last edited:

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
The wheels and tires look great on your car.

I’m seriously looking at a set of new spec Öhlins R&T’s most probably with there Golf R spec springs- 400F/450R. They a designed with a 15mm drop in ride height front and rear. If necessary I can increase the ride height by 5mm, sacrificing a bit of droop travel.

The other key factor is you are running an extra half degree of front camber, giving you some extra clearance wiggle room. I have 17x8.5’s et 45. Good to know that 9’s fit with wide tires. I figured that the extra 6mm on either side would be an issue on the inside.

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
Thanks for the feedback, Cliff.

I seem to get a good amount of YAW at WSIR compared to other tracks, might be related.

I like the KW clubsports since they come with camber plates and they’re quiet, no rattling.

Öhlins are really nice too, can’t go wrong with either one.

I have a friend running 265 on a 19 with great success on track, looking forward to your feedback on that setup.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
I dumped a bunch of videos of the my GTI autocrossing in this thread which is kinda buried now:

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6475

I guess the thread is specifically GTIs so not really that application to Golf Rs.

I prefer my camera setup to be able to see hands and car placement relative to the cones easier which is why I normally run my GoPro outside of the car behind the driver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpD26Riv63M

Since this is a Mk7 forum I figured this thread would work for whatever people are using to carve cones - GTI, R, Sportwagen, whatever. I searched the forum for a thread looking for a focus on autocross video and didn't find any that jumped out.

I occasionally use a second camera to keep an eye on my hands (example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czYjcJHmBtw) but I have learned to manage my hand position pretty well over the last 10 years so I don't usually do anything too interesting with my hands. I like the primary camera to look forward through the windshield from next to the rear view mirror because that location seems to come the closest to what I see as the driver.

(You probably ran into some of our local folks at Nationals - the SF Bay Area usually sends a pretty solid contingent)

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
My want to see hand movement is less for position on the wheel and more as a feedback on steering input vs the car's behavior.. Ideally you want to be able to get steering angle data but not having that video is the next best thing.

I've actually ran with BMW CCA in SF once. I took at trip out there in 2015 and met up with Dave Sparks who I think did a lot of the course design for BMW CCA's events out there because we are part of the same online car community and he actually let me codrive his Z4 M Coupe at an event at Marina. Cool site...

Last edited:

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
My want to see hand movement is less for position on the wheel and more as a feedback on steering input vs the car's behavior.. Ideally you want to be able to get steering angle data but not having that video is the next best thing.

I've actually ran with BMW CCA in SF once. I took at trip out there in 2015 and met up with Dave Sparks who I think did a lot of the course design for BMW CCA's events out there because we are part of the same online car community and he actually let me codrive his Z4 M Coupe at an event at Marina. Cool site...

Dave just moved up to the Portland area last month after he semi-retired from Google. He has indeed been our course designer for the last few years. He sold the Z4M the year before last and switched to an ND Miata with the retractible roof.

I use an AiM SoloDL for HPDE events, and it is connected via the CAN bus. Unfortunately AiM's Mk5/Mk6 CAN bus driver doesn't work with the Mk7 so I have to use a SEAT Leon driver, and it does not provide steering angle or brake pressure.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Here's one of my runs from SCCA Sacramento at Thunderhill back on 6/22/2019. My car isn't really setup for autocross but it was still fun. Please excuse the exterior view, I need to get some recording equipment. Cliff, what recording system do you have? Looks really nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ps5hNdRrGE

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
Here's one of my runs from SCCA Sacramento at Thunderhill back on 6/22/2019. My car isn't really setup for autocross but it was still fun. Please excuse the exterior view, I need to get some recording equipment. Cliff, what recording system do you have? Looks really nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ps5hNdRrGE

I am using kind of a kludge for autocross: a GoPro Hero 5 black for video (1080/60), GPS speed and position, and accelerometers along with my iPhone running TrackAddict and connecting via bluetooth to a GoPoint BT1 OBDII dongle to pick up engine data. I use RaceRender to merge the video and the 2 data streams to create the video.

https://vimeo.com/341700649

First event in the Rabbit. Car had a bad o2 sensor which caused acceleration to be off, but it was still fast. I'll get an alignment on it before next event, which really helped with my old 2018 S. The LSD really allows you to get on the throttle earlier than the non LSD.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk