GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

cargo cover mod (lighting)

BiminiRoad

I needed more light in my cargo compartment. Coming back to the car late after activities, I sometimes struggle to find things or checking for ticks, especially when parked somewhere dark. I decided on an inexpensive DIY LED light system, mounted with adhesive-backed velcro strips, and powered by the rear 12V accessory port.

I'm not sure if anyone else in this forum has done something similar, but thought I'd share what I did. The light provided also does a nice job of illuminating the area around the hatch too.

Caveat: accessory power or ignition needs to be on for the 12V port to be energized.

Parts:

• AUDEW LED 12V Interior LED Light Bar White Strip Light 340mm 12V 4.5W 72 LED (~$13/pair, Amazon)
  • VELCRO Brand heavy duty 4"x2" adhesive backed strips (~$5, Amazon)
  • Split wire loom, black (I had on hand, leftover from an amp wire up kit) (optional)
  • 12V/24V Male Car Cigarette Lighter Socket Plug Connector Switch 1.5m EA (~$5, EBay)
  • Electrical tape, solder, and heat shrink tubing (optional)
Tools:

• scissors
  • soldering iron
  • heat gun or lighter (optional)
Procedure:

1. Remove cargo cover and put on a work table.
  2. Solder the light leads to the leads from the socket plug and cover with heat-shrink tubing or electrical tape.
  3. Test the lights.
  4. Inserted the wires into the wire loom and use electrical tape to close.
  5. Mount the light fixtures and wire loom to the underside of the deck lid (in the recesses) with Velcro.
  6. Re-install cargo cover and plug in to 12V port.

Attachments

• IMG_0595.jpg
    IMG_0595.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 396
  • IMG_0596.jpg
    IMG_0596.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 376
  • IMG_0597.jpg
    IMG_0597.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_0601.jpg
    IMG_0601.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 394
  • IMG_0598.jpg
    IMG_0598.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 392
  • IMG_0599.jpg
    IMG_0599.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 385

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Nicely done! I can definitely see the benefits of having this mod

777-300ER

Go Kart Newbie
If you want to get fancy you can also add a connector and tap the side light and have it turn on and off automatically.

BiminiRoad

The 12v plug has an on/off button. Actually, having the ignition in accessory mode really isn’t a big deal. I don’t always need that much light back there... only in certain circumstances. It’s nice to have it when needed. Thanks guys.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I've seen a few different version of this mod on here in the past. Many use a splice and connect directly into the light that's already there. This looks pretty clean!