GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Toothofwar gets an R, makes one post, then abandons post for 2 years. Makes forum members proud.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Sold the Gti, now have an R. Should be updated soon with mods.

I guess it's about time to start recording the mods of my car. Unfortunately I haven't taken many pictures of the progress, however, moving forward now that I have a spot to keep up with the progress I'll be taking more.

My journey started in November 2017 when I picked up a 2015 gti s 2 door with only 7500 miles on it. None of the bells and whistles, but still nice for a base model. I was hooked on the first test drive. So for the 1st year I kept everything stock. Only regular maintenance and one repair from some dogs eating the front bumper off..(that's a whole other story there....).

Around 6 months or so ago I got a jb4 from a forum member. Its amazing how a $350 piece can get one hooked on mods! Needless to say I smoked the factory clutch sood after. After doing some digging around I settled on the ecs stage 2 performance clutch kit. So I sent it over to my mechanic and had it installed. I ha e another thread on here with the review of it.

So after the clutch was broke in I start messing with map 6 on the jb4 and steadily gaining hp and smiles. Last weekend I picked up some items from another forum member. Saturday I installed the muffler delete. Very happy with that decision.

So last night I get in from work and see the side to side short throw shifter kit and the ss braided line setting on the table. After watching some video and reading on here I decided the ss line was the quicker task. Besides, I think there was still some air in the line from the clutch install. So I disassembled the old lines, removed the snail looking thing from the fire wall, and removed the yellow restriction in the bleeder. The only concern I had was that my fluid that was in the line and the bleeder was milky. So I installed the line and bled (? Spelling?) The clutch. So much better.

So that catches us up. Do yall recommend waiting to install the shifter kit till after I get the front to back kit? I was thinking about going ahead and installing to remove the plastic pos that is stock. It's an ecs kit I have. Anyways, I'll try to keep this up to date with the progress. The next major parts I hope are an ic, then a dp.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
So today I picked up a stock dp from a 15 gti. (Again, thanks twist!) So over the long weekend I'll be documenting the gutting of a stock dp. I dont have access to a dyno, so the butt dyno will have to do. I'll also be doing sound clips of the different setups. I'll start with current which is just a 3" muffler delete. I will end up getting a vibrant resonator eventually. So I'll end up putting the stock suitcase back on till then, but I'll do a bunch of different clips of the combinations. Stay tune...... ( pun intended)

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
So here is the pic heavy post. Started with marking out a nice square. Grab your grinder and have some fun. Just keep in mind, everything you cut put will have to weld back so be as precise as you can with your lines. Once you get the plate off grab your pry bar of choice and start ripping this crap out. You will notice how tight the holes are, so much restriction!!! Once you get all the chunks out make for sure you vacuum out all the little particles. Dont want to have any loose crap flying into your resonator or suitcase ( if you have one). One thing I forgot to mention, when you pull the freshly cut plate off, mark it so you know the orientation on how to weld it back into place. Next line up your marks and spot weld it in place. Move your welds around so you dont get one spot too hot and warp it. Once you get it sealed up you can let it cool and enjoy! Up next, the swap out and installation. With sound clips! Stay tuned......

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Also, please dont judge me on the welds. I know they look horrible... I am in a major fight with my welding machine right now and I think it is winning.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
https://youtu.be/yVg9he7WuB8

https://youtu.be/W7dana5akcQ

https://youtu.be/Q8T_N0ikUwo

So here is the sound clips of the final products. Definitely not as loud as I thought it would have been, but it's not bad. I'll do a res delete next and leave the stock suitcase on. As for but dyno.... I couldn't tell alot of difference yet, but I was heat soaking bad, so I'll have to wait for a cool night to try it again. All the more reason to get an intercooler. Also, I only gutted the front cat. I may be gutting the rear one next weekend. So, till next time, stay tuned!!!

Edit.

I forgot I did take a few pictures. Not many though.

Last edited:

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
So I had my first CEL on this setup yesterday. P0000, p0200, and p0400 was the codes my jb4 picked up. (I think obd 11 is my next purchase) made it 300 miles cel free though. Going to try a smaller insert next. I'm running a straight spacer with a medium insert. The vibrant j spacer I have will be next, if I have the room for it. So far no smell of fumes and it's really tame sounding. If I can get my welder beat into submission I'll tackle gutting the second cat in a couple weeks. If it's still really tame sounding I'll probably put the muffler delete back on for good. I do miss that sound......

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
So another 3k miles and my 2nd cel came on. Wife just called and told me. I'll hook the phone to it when I get home and check it out, but I'm confident it's the same codes for the o2. I did get the muffler delete welded on permanently. Drone city.... will be getting a vibrant resonator soon. Up to 39k miles now. Next up will be the 40k service I'll be doing myself due to warranty running out. Have a 10/14 build date so services will be done by myself from here on out. Does anyone have a checklist for the 40k service?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Those spacers look familiar.... :)

You got a whole lot further between CELs. I couldn't even get through 1 day.
Yup! I ended up putting a new snap ring in the straight spacer with the medium insert and been doing great so far. In all fairness I still have one cat, but its after the o2 sensor.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Diggs, can you confirm that these are o2 codes? I reset them and cleared the codes so all is well right?

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
So small update. Thanks to teemmy, I'll be experimenting on installing some calipers from a b9 a4. Could be interesting. Any tips will be appreciated. If I fail or win I'll keep everyone posted. There is a thread on here about someone wanting to try this conversion, however, I dont think anyone has been successful. If so can you share your tips? Pics when they arrive!

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Test fit the calipers Sunday. Looks like this might just work. A couple of guys have mentioned that the bleeders are upside down so on final install I'll ether swap left with right or will swap crossovers with the bleeders. Also ordered some custom brake lines today. Next up is the spacers for the wheels to clear.

Attachments

• 20191208_132916.jpg
    20191208_132916.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 128
  • 20191208_134300.jpg
    20191208_134300.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 132
  • 20191208_134305.jpg
    20191208_134305.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 131
  • 20191208_134320.jpg
    20191208_134320.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 134
  • 20191208_134334.jpg
    20191208_134334.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 122

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
20200202_144417.jpg
20200202_144445.jpg
20200202_145439.jpg
20200202_150105.jpg
20200202_151419.jpg

So swapped plugs today. Idle is so much better. Nice and smooth.

Attachments

• 20200202_152702.jpg
    20200202_152702.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 130
  • 20200202_152740.jpg
    20200202_152740.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 128