GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Good Fort Worth Shop or Mechanic?

Rocketdog

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Anyone from Fort Worth and can recommend a shop or person for downpipe installations (mk 7 GTI)?

Thanks.

dupsatou

Passed Driver's Ed
Not sure about Ft. Worth specifically but everybody seems to rave about Blair Automotive in Carrollton. A lot of people would probably even argue its worth the drive from Ft. Worth. I've not personally used them, but I hear good things. They may not be the cheapest though... https://www.blairautomotive.com/

Dubstro

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 2dr GTI 6MT
Zinkwerks in Euless and Dub Squared in Arlington are both closer to you and probably cheaper than Blair. Might as well get quoted by all 3 though. I've had work done at Zinkwerks and they are solid shop with helpful and responsive people. FYI, they do mark up labor $ if you bring in outside parts. However, they seem to quote less time to do the work I needed. I've had work done at Blair too and have zero issues with the work done. Blair is run much like an Audi dealership in both good and bad ways. IMO, not worth traveling across town for a downpipe.

http://www.zinkwerks.net/

http://www.vwrepairarlington.com/

Btw, downpipe install is easy and can DIY in 1 to 1.5 hours taking your time. It is even easier if you have non-PP. Tons of vids on youtube and on here. Edit: I see OP has a PP car.

Rocketdog

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Yep. My GTI Sport has the PP. I guess that means I'd have to take off some hard-to-access axle bolts and heat shields to remove the stock DP? Quoted $225 by one (VW) shop....

Dubstro

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 2dr GTI 6MT
Yep. My GTI Sport has the PP. I guess that means I'd have to take off some hard-to-access axle bolts and heat shields to remove the stock DP? Quoted $225 by one (VW) shop....

That seems like a fair price here in DFW. I was able to do the install on my PP alone on jack stands in about 1.5 hrs. I didn't have much trouble removing the shields but my memory is fuzzy as it has been awhile. I do remember posts in threads that helped with removing the upper bolts that mount to the block. One can be reached with a long extension from below. The other you can use an angle attachment and reach by feel. Twist the pipe clockwise and comes out with minimal fuss. Up to you if it's worth your time to tackle. Good luck man. What DP are you running?

Rocketdog

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Haven't bought a DP yet. Looking at IE and APR on high (price) end and Depo Racing (catted) on low end (latter is out of stock right now). I had a Depo Racing FMIC on my Fiesta ST and the quality was good. Also thinking about a Majesty (eBay) intercooler (OE replacement not the FMIC). JB4 install took me longer than most people claim. The lower D plug was a pain. Struggled with it even after removing the lower engine cover...