GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Where’s the east coast storage lot?

Mikejt1954

Passed Driver's Ed
Does anyone know where an east coast bound ship loaded with new VW’s, and more precisely my 2019 R DSG in white would be off loaded on the east coast? My salesman isn’t sure. I’ve heard Jacksonville Florida? More curious than anything. But the car was built February 15, and I’m thinking it should be here (Charlotte NC) soon. Because I already have big plans for it. Thank.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I am by no means an expert on global logistics, but I think (based on a documentary I may have watched once) that most cars from Germany are shipped to New Jersey, or possibly Baltimore. Wallenius Wilhelmsen is the shipping line everyone uses, I think.

TechGuy32

Ready to race!
Based on a quick online search it would appear that at the moment it could be either Baltimore, MD or Jacksonville, FL depending on what ship it is loaded on. It's unclear exactly when VW may have started using Baltimore again.

https://www.jacksonville.com/article/20150211/NEWS/801239119

https://www.maritime-executive.com/article/vw-settlement-may-bring-more-ro-ro-cargo-to-baltimore

BTW, IME it takes a week for the car to get to Emden for export and then a week or two to be loaded on the ship, then 3 weeks on the water, a week to process once at port and 1-2 weeks to arrive at the dealer if you're on the east coast. These times can change considerably due to production, orders, transport, etc. so patience is a virtue.

Mikejt1954

Passed Driver's Ed
������. Really, I ordered the car last November. They placed the order in late January and in early February I got a VIN, followed by the report that it was built. But according to the post above, it looks like I have a little while longer to wait.

TechGuy32

Ready to race!
Like I said the time line is subject to considerable variations. As an example the ship doesn't leave port until it's essentially full. If VW and other companies are shipping a lot of cars to the U.S. then it could fill a week from the date it finishes production but that is pretty rare IME. Keep your fingers crossed it moves thru the system quickly.

I know exactly what it feels like to be waiting... ;)

codypka

Go Kart Champion
Like others have said, I'm pretty sure the answer is Baltimore

On a semi-related note, I was driving around north east Philadelphia not too long ago, along the Delaware river, and came across a huge industrial lot full to the brim of VWs. Hundred and hundreds of them, but they didn't appear to be new. I wonder if they were all deiselgate cars

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Like others have said, I'm pretty sure the answer is Baltimore

On a semi-related note, I was driving around north east Philadelphia not too long ago, along the Delaware river, and came across a huge industrial lot full to the brim of VWs. Hundred and hundreds of them, but they didn't appear to be new. I wonder if they were all deiselgate cars

They are Diesel buybacks. Probably getting ready to ship them to countries without emissions laws. :D

cb1111

It'll be Baltimore again.

Bayonne does a lot on military shipping and I picked my car up in Bayonne when it was shipped from Germany, but Baltimore handles more new cars than any other port.

FWIW, my Typhoon was shipped out of Baltimore to Bremerhaven and they stole the aftermarket CD changer. I found the same changer and installed it again. From Rotterdam to Bayonne, the CD changer was stolen again. Each time, they left the controller so the changer was basically useless.