GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you get in the mail or bring home for your MKVII today?

Rollback50k1

Ready to race!
I think most cars come with 2 FOBs, so yes. They might have misplaced one of the keys, made a backup with what they had around, then found the original.

Good theory. Sounds almost accurate because now that I think about it....I vaguely remember someone that was working there ask out loud if they had seen the key to the car I had just test driven.

You might of actually nailed it! Lmao

Either way, the key was used once to make sure it works and has been sitting on my wall of keys with the rest of them. Figured there’s no point in wearing it out if the other two are working perfectly fine.

-Martin

nype

Drag Racing Champion

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
I have that crooked switch too. Not only is it crooked but feels super cheap-o. $15, get what you pay for with that one! I'll replace it with an OEM someday but for now it does the job.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
I believe that switch is a mislabeled MK6 switch.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

braveulysses

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
17 mk7 gti
OEM nerd stuff

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I always wondered what that compartment in the trunk was for.

Sidebrowns

Passed Driver's Ed

Isn't it smaller than the GTI key? Did you have to do magic on it to make it fit?

Most of them are made for the standard Golf keys with the smaller key “caps”. I found this out after ordering a couple of them. None of them fit right.

I ended up ordering a smaller chrome cap on eBay. You can see the GTI (Golf R is the same size too) cap is noticeably bigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ya GTI is longer. Compared to my wife's Tiguan keys. Fits but far from perfect.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Where did you order your fob covers? Mine from Aliexpress don't fit quite right (go figure), maybe it is meant for the shorter key.

They're pretty much all made for the keys with the small caps. If you want the cover to fit right...you can probably get the black ones for free from the dealer. From what I've read...the GTI keys comes with the black caps...the tech puts the GTI ones on when they do the PDI. The mechanics probably have some sitting around.

With the short chrome cap.

Good theory. Sounds almost accurate because now that I think about it....I vaguely remember someone that was working there ask out loud if they had seen the key to the car I had just test driven.

You might of actually nailed it! Lmao

Either way, the key was used once to make sure it works and has been sitting on my wall of keys with the rest of them. Figured there’s no point in wearing it out if the other two are working perfectly fine.

-Martin

I did some digging and found part numbers for the different caps. They can all be found here (item #45).

EDIT: the link above is a parts diagram only. If you're looking to purchase the slim chrome cap online, you can find it at ECS here (black is same price and here). Pricey for what it is so try reaching out to your selling dealership to see if they can give you some take offs.

Slim style black - 5G0 837 599
Slim style chrome - 5G0 837 599 A
GTI logo - 5G0 959 893
GTD logo - 5G0 959 893 A
R logo - 5G0 959 893 B
GTE logo - 5G0 959 893 C

The two slim ones will fit the silicone covers best as you've noted. The R cap looks to be a little bigger, but not as big as the GTI/GTD/GTE ones.

If anybody's looking for the silicone covers and want them fast, Amazon has 2 packs for 8.99 with varying color options here.

The screw should be a torx T6 head and once removed, you slide the "cap" to the side to remove it.

Last edited:

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
I think we bought from the same seller. If you want, I can PM you the "English" instructions they sent me (after I asked).

Edit: I'll double check if the diagrams are the same. I know some have different settings procedures.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Thanks bro!

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5c6cc4db6376d/Headlight sensor instructions.pdf

Link to the PDF instructions above. Good luck haha!

Here are some tips about the instructions:
- Tunnel mode (A). If this is enabled, then your lights will turn on immediately once ambient light dims enough. If it's disabled, then there's like a delay of a couple of seconds.

- "width light" (B) = "parking lights". In Auto, parking lights will turn on when ambient light is dim enough, but not dark enough to trigger headlights.

- "width light/headlights and fog lamps interaction" (D & E). I don't have front fogs, so I never tried this. I assume it just automatically turns on fog lights when parking lights or headlights turn on.

- the last instruction with paragraphs seems to be the Coming Home/Leaving Home (CH/LH) feature. Lights would stay on after locking your car, and they'll turn on when you unlock your car for however many seconds you set. I couldn't get this to work.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG

Got my euroswitch today from AliExpress today. Almost took a month.... and although the instructions are no help, the price and quality isn’t bad. Will post again when installed.

That switch is for a mk6.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
That crooked switch would drive me bananas. You dont even have to have OCD to appreciate that. Just get another switch if you have to. Theyre cheap enough.