GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Timing problem?

805mk7gti

Ready to race!
There's a little removable access cap on the timing chain cover. You can pop it off from underneath the car and look inside if the tensioner is broken.

Stew

Thanks for the insight guys. I've got an appointment at a reputable shop for early next week. Looks like I'll be taking public transportation for the next week :(
I'll update when I get the diagnosis.

When this issue first presented itself I took my car to the local VW dealership (against my better judgement) and after having it all day they first gave me a half-hearted and unsure diagnosis, then told me the estimated cost, THEN told me my warranty was void. At any rate, I only saw red and was more concerned with getting my car back. Later I read the tech printout from VW and it may provide some insights though. I am far from a mechanic, with only rudimentary understanding of the many systems of an internal combustion engine, so some interpretation would be appreciated but they found "intake camshaft actual and specified to be spot on" but "camshaft phase position was barely out of spec". IN addition, they found no timing chain stretch and they could visually see 4 or 5 threads on the tensioner (not sure if that is good or bad). After all of this they recommended I have them replace the intake camshaft because..... why not?? So that is where I am at but I am on standby until the highly regarded, local VW/Audi can inspect it.

Also, I am sorry to the OP for high jacking this thread. Our issues seemed similar enough I thought we could pool our problems and subsequently, solutions.

Thanks for the replys!

Last edited:

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
When this issue first presented itself I took my car to the local VW dealership (against my better judgement) and after having it all day they first gave me a half-hearted and unsure diagnosis, then told me the estimated cost, THEN told me my warranty was void. At any rate, I only saw red and was more concerned with getting my car back. Later I read the tech printout from VW and it may provide some insights though. I am far from a mechanic, with only rudimentary understanding of the many systems of an internal combustion engine, so some interpretation would be appreciated but they found "intake camshaft actual and specified to be spot on" but "camshaft phase position was barely out of spec". IN addition, they found no timing chain stretch and they could visually see 4 or 5 threads on the tensioner (not sure if that is good or bad). After all of this they recommended I have them replace the intake camshaft because..... why not?? So that is where I am at but I am on standby until the highly regarded, local VW/Audi can inspect it.

Also, I am sorry to the OP for high jacking this thread. Our issues seemed similar enough I thought we could pool our problems and subsequently, solutions.

Thanks for the replys!

The spec for the phase is 4 to -4, anything over and you have a stretched chain, but usually it has to be really stretched to cause a CEL. If the tensioner was only out 4 or 5 marks, then it is getting there, but still okay. At 7 marks it needs replacement.

eventhorizon

Go Kart Champion
Any updates on this issue? I think I have the exact same issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Id be interested to know if the guys who got the warranty void because of tune undid said tunes before taking it in. I'm guessing probably not. But according to various folklore, it wouldn't matter. Because td1