GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coding Help Needed - Module 55 is gone!

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
Hello all, I'm looking for some help...

I am in the process of retrofitting ACC on my 2015 NAR GTI. All equipment is installed and the radar was activated remotely. Currently it isn't working because I think calibration, but that is a separate issue.

After installing the equipment I received a fault that says "Error: Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS). I have the factory lighting package headlights, and they turn on, all bulbs are good, but they do not auto-adjust and are pointed very low (dangerous at night).

Researching this topic it looked as if I needed to reset basic settings in control unit 55. Well when I launch OBDeleven there is no 55! I tried to add it manually but it will not connect, says it is not on the gateway. I think maybe the gateway needs recoding? I only have OBDeleven, I will order VCDS but I really hope to get this fixed ASAP! Thank you

Last edited:

davide.bonetti

Ready to race!
this is what happens when using a toy diag tool instead of a proper one.

it's weird on how the ACC installation has screwed up the 55 calibration, but I have standard halogen headlights so I am not really into AFS.

what I wanted to say is, find somebody with VCDS or have the dealer run basic settings with ODIS, it will be cheaper than buying VCDS.

anyway, is there a chance you messed up the wiring and got the 55 offline somehow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Did you check the fuse going to the AFS module (that is the 55 module) and adjustment motors? I believe it is SC35 from my DIY on installing AFS. Second row from bottom, 4 fuses over, 10A.

Below is my DIY on installing AFS. It is where I referenced fuse SC35. https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29237.

SC35 goes to the following:

Diagnostic Connection -U31- 15
Headlamp range control and instrument illumination regulator -EX14-
Headlamp Range/Cornering Lamp Control Module -J745-
Left headlamp beam adjustment motor -V48-
Right headlamp beam adjustment motor -V49-

Last edited:

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
thank you both for the quick replies, yes VCDS would probably help a lot right now...I re-checked the wiring several times. The only connections I changed were wires 12 and 13 (can extended high and low) on the TIUL. I used the ACC harness for the install and I am fairly certain it is correct, because the radar unit does work.

I believe I did share ACC with SC35 (or maybe 36)..but all the fuses on that row are fine. I even removed the piggy-back fuse temporarily and put the original 10A back in but it did not help.

I have a 6 hour drive tomorrow and now I have no cruise control and bad headlights! I'm quickly regretting this project... :(

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
If Module 55 Is Offline, then you might have accidently disconnected something while tapping into the can wires. (from Geroge Ab's DIY I Can see that AFS Is connected to can bus extended too.)

Its Either the module isnt getting power or it is not connected to the gateway.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
If Module 55 Is Offline, then you might have accidently disconnected something while tapping into the can wires. (from Geroge Ab's DIY I Can see that AFS Is connected to can bus extended too.)

Its Either the module isnt getting power or it is not connected to the gateway.
It definitely sounds likely that something got disconnected...but I don't see anything. And if the radar is functioning, then it can't be can extended high or low, can it? Those are the only two wires I touched.

The TIUL couplers are strong, it was difficult to purposely remove wires I don't see how I removed any mistakenly....

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
The person who activated the radar sent me this...where else could it be losing communication from?

55 Coded - Communication faultyIMG-20190218-WA0072.jpeg

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
it's worth mentioning the AFS fault appeared before any coding had been done for the radar ACC. And when I unplugged the two ACC plugs from Can high/low and refit the original wires it was still there.

So either the presence of the ACC hardware (radar, wiring harness, and rear ABS sensors) triggered a fault in AFS, or something happened during installation.

Backtracking - could any other steps of the installation process caused this? Again, all bulbs appear fine and operational. Cornering bulbs are not functioning due to AFS error, but I inspected them and they do not appear burnt out. the rear leveling sensor is not broken. I had the bumper and headlights off when installing the radar. I did unplug the two crash sensors and the electrical hood latch connector, but all three were reconnected. Is there something else I could have done?

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
I would find the AFS module in the car and make sure it is getting power, then check the 2 can wires for continuity all the way to the gateway.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Verify power (fuse); done.

Verify connector is connected and no rats got in there. It would have to be rats as there is no way either the CAN gateway connector or AFS connector is coming out on its own.

Visually verify the rear auto level sensor is not broken; it isn't, but check.

Verify BCM Byte 02 - 02 Lighting: Bi-xenon w/o light assist
Byte 06 - 20 Xenon - Shutter (PR-8IG/8IM/8IP) installed

Using VAGCOM reinstall selection of AFS module 55. I believe you mentioned you tried this.

At this point you need to get help. Purchase or borrow a VAS 5054 with OKI chipset (PM if you want to borrow, I need deposit and cost for shipping) and get a hold of Jack Kirry on Skype (remember he is 5 hours ahead of you), let him know issue. He will repair remotely; 80 Euro/hour paid after repair is complete; it will be done well within an hour. Info here: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31600

Lastly, I have been there. Doing a modification and things get screwed up and you regret the decision. It is all worth while when you get it worked out. In my case, Jack to bailed me out.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
George, Reaper....thank you both for the suggestions. And George, thanks for the reassurance! You're right it is frustrating but once it all works it will be worth it. My anxiety rose just reading your AFS retro guide.

Can either of you point me in the right direction for locating the AFS module itself? I gather it is somewhere near the front left headlight? I'm really hoping it is something there, because everything in the TIUL coupler is solid.

I will double check the rear leveling sensor. I looked at it once and thought it was fine, but not sure what a broken one looks like anyway.

I did verify the coding in the BCM module, it is correct.

Unfortunately, I am away from my house for the next five weeks traveling for work so I do not have my full array of tools and time to troubleshoot...but I did bring a set of torx sockets and a multimeter, and my VAS 5054.

I'm familiar with Jack, I also have done the MIB2 retrofit, so I am prepared to contact him if needed. Unfortunately however, despite the title of this thread, I'm beginning to think it is not a coding issue after all. As soon as I turned the car on after installing the new equipment, I had several faults. I assumed they were because the equipment had not been coded yet. Such was the case for the brake error from the new ABS sensors. That was easily fixed by recoding the ABS module, but nothing in the AFS module should have needed to be changed.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
After reading George incredibly detailed DIY xD
I found this "The AFS module is normally mounted up in the dash next to the CAN Gateway module"

So you might have done something to the module connector or can wires while connecting the TIUL Wires.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I need to applaud you all for doing thsee mods. Nor something I would take on.

Once you have ACC working perhaps it's just coding to have automatic emergency braking?

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
I need to applaud you all for doing thsee mods. Nor something I would take on.

Once you have ACC working perhaps it's just coding to have automatic emergency braking?
I think so, but I have a manual so I don't think that is an option for me.

Rollback50k1

Ready to race!
I'll let you rent my vcds for $200 shipped ($170 refunded after I receive It back.....no longer than 30days lol)

Good luck man....but I would considering "renting it out" if you are interested.

-Martin