MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
I had the Bridgestone Potenza RE97AS.

I bought them though Costco, not sure if it comes with alignment [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You’d know if it had an alignment. It’s about a $150-200 job and would be clearly listed on the paperwork along with an alignment diagram. Some say they see a performance increase with aftermarket wheels but you have to get lightweight wheels to notice an improvement. Neuspeed rse10 are a popular upgrade, as they only weight 18.5-19ish lbs, around 8 pounds lighter than stock and they’re less than $400 each. Also they don’t require centric rings since they’re built specifically for VWs.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
I hit a pothole and ruined one of my tires. I went ahead a got a new set of A/S 3+ since I wanted an upgrade. I am planning on putting them on my stock wheels, do y’all think I will see a considerable upgrade from stock setup?

I am planning on buying new wheels down the line when I can afford something nicer.

Ummm yes. Massive improvement over the stock tires. The Hankooks my car came with were garbage.

I’d stick with stock tire size. Costco likely won’t let you away from this anyway.

SD2112

New GTI Owner, New to Forum

Hello all! I just bought my first GTI, 2018 SE Nightblue DSG tartan seats. I pick it up in 3 weeks in Colorado and drive it home to Portland with my wife, so looking forward to an epic road trip and can't think of a better way to get acquainted with the car than twisty mountain backroads!

So I have a very basic awareness of VAGCOM, I know I can customize many things in the car with this. What is it exactly, where do I get it, and is there some guide on all it does? Thanks for your time!

gti_1789

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello all! I just bought my first GTI, 2018 SE Nightblue DSG tartan seats. I pick it up in 3 weeks in Colorado and drive it home to Portland with my wife, so looking forward to an epic road trip and can't think of a better way to get acquainted with the car than twisty mountain backroads!

So I have a very basic awareness of VAGCOM, I know I can customize many things in the car with this. What is it exactly, where do I get it, and is there some guide on all it does? Thanks for your time!

You can probably just buy a used Ross-Tech cable from the forum marketplace. A new one is like 200 for up to 3 cars...for around 70 or so you can get a new OBDEleven pro that allows you to do some of the same custom coding...I can provide you some links later when I’m on my laptop but you can probably find them yourself faster just search OBDEleven on this forum...

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
^ what he said, but don’t use the forum’s search function it’s garbage. Use google. Just type: golfmk7 OBDEleven; or golfmk7 VCDS; or Golfmk7 Vagcom, etc

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
^ what he said, but don’t use the forum’s search function it’s garbage. Use google. Just type: golfmk7 OBDEleven; or golfmk7 VCDS; or Golfmk7 Vagcom, etc

using "site:golfmk7.com vcds" or similar will limit search results to ones from this domain exclusively as well

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
using "site:golfmk7.com vcds" or similar will limit search results to ones from this domain exclusively as well

Windows 95 Power User in da home

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Gonna add a noobpid question here since I chime in a lot: I’m Eurodyne stage 1, H&R sport lowered, spulen street engine mount, esc vagcom disabled and I want to make some stage 2- hell, even some 1.5 preparations and I’m currently in a dilemma between getting new wheels/tires (current are stock and have 12K miles), majestic intercooler or dkm twin clutch next.

Biggest bang for buck? Gonna be a while before I can upgrade again. Daily/Street/Dad use.

MEM GTI

Ready to race!
Gonna add a noobpid question here since I chime in a lot: I’m Eurodyne stage 1, H&R sport lowered, spulen street engine mount, esc vagcom disabled and I want to make some stage 2- hell, even some 1.5 preparations and I’m currently in a dilemma between getting new wheels/tires (current are stock and have 12K miles), majestic intercooler or dkm twin clutch next.

Biggest bang for buck? Gonna be a while before I can upgrade again. Daily/Street/Dad use.

I don’t know, but I just read your sig and chuckles. I too am rocking the car seat (multiple in my case) and two quarters mods. Well done.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
I don’t know, but I just read your sig and chuckles. I too am rocking the car seat (multiple in my case) and two quarters mods. Well done.

I forgot to update that I now have oil change sticker on window mod!

Sent from Mognet using Moogles

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT

Well since you're already Stage 1, I think the clutch should be number one. But really, you should've done tires before going Stage 1. So my opinion would be clutch>tires>IC.

I bought my AS3+ off ebay during a promotion they were running for 24 months 0% interest. so my 800$ tires cost me $30/mo on paypal :) - so that's 7.5$/week

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Well since you're already Stage 1, I think the clutch should be number one. But really, you should've done tires before going Stage 1. So my opinion would be clutch>tires>IC.

If the tires were worn already I probably would’ve been more willing to do those before I did anything at all. All seasons in FL actually make sense since it rains every day, I may get a better rated set once it’s time to chuck em. I know there’s a lot of people that claim lighter rims are a must but is that placebo effect or is there actually significant data on handling, drivability? Thanks for the help though. Will do them before IC!

Sent from Mognet using Moogles

SD2112

What accessory sites or businesses do you recommend? Looking at just cosmetic accessories so far, not planning any mods yet.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

gti_1789

Passed Driver's Ed
Follow up tire question...can I put the one of my old tires(only 3k miles) on the spare wheel? I only have 3 good tires so I figure I could sell the back two as a set that way...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk