GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tips on buying used and trying to get a solid motor?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
AFAIK, dealers don't scan for tunes. You go in with a driveline complaint that's under warranty, the dealer tech does a GFF and sends the data to VW for review and warranty approval. If a tune is detected the claim is denied. Then you're told you're tuned by the service advisor. Let me know if you have a printout from a dealer that states car is tuned they got from just a request to scan.

You might be able to see if a VCDS scan shows a different flash date than the stock one.

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG
Don’t buy a 2015, as known issues include:

-crank walk

-cam bridge screen failure

-turbo failure

Other notable shortcomings are lack of Apple CarPlay & reverse camera. Basically any of those will cost you the price difference of a ‘15 vs ‘16 so you definitely want a 2016 or newer.

To avoid surprises buy a one owner car from a private seller. If it’s some dipstick who lives in his moms basement maybe hold out for a more mature owner who’s got maintenance records, kept the car detailed/garage kept, ect. There’s a ton of mk7 out there for sale, it’s up to you to be picky and patient enough to grab a good one

I’ve heard of everything you mentioned except, cam bridge screen failure. I’m pretty sure that was just the gen 1 and 2 tsi, as I can’t find anything online about cam bridge screen failure on a gen 3 motor. Plus the later build 2015 don’t have turbo issues commonly.

JWTS

Ready to race!
I feel like such a hypocrite trying to buy an unmolested car with service records so I can mod it and probably never let a dealer touch it :)

That is pretty funny-me too, on both counts. I got over it!

While I'd never let a dealer touch my car unless there it was for warranty work, it was nice to have documentation and see that the car was well-maintained (DSG service @ 38K, brake fluid done at 18 mos...) along with oil changes more frequent than necessary.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
AFAIK, dealers don't scan for tunes. You go in with a driveline complaint that's under warranty, the dealer tech does a GFF and sends the data to VW for review and warranty approval. If a tune is detected the claim is denied. Then you're told you're tuned by the service advisor. Let me know if you have a printout from a dealer that states car is tuned they got from just a request to scan.

You might be able to see if a VCDS scan shows a different flash date than the stock one.

Do you know where the flash date would be displayed within VCDS ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I would try and look for the cleanest...low mileage...stock one I can find. I would check the bolts on the suspension to see if they show signs of being removed. Unless I personally knew the owner...I would not buy one that's been modified...especially if it has a tune. If there is any balance of the drivetrain warranty remaining...there is a chance that it will no longer be honored.

I'm seeing a lot of two to three year old GTI's modded to the hilt...and then being put up for sale. Also you can get on one of those GTI-MQB Facebook pages and seeing what some of those guys are doing to their cars if you're considering buying a modded one.

oic0

Interesting how no one wants modded or tuned car.

Mods are like invisible extra mileage that you don't get a price reduction to compensate for. They also imply higher likelihood of abuse and inheriting problems. Meanwhile an untouched car is the same price.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I would strongly consider a single owner stock vehicle who has the complete maintenance records history. This way you can mod it the way you want and also get a vehicle which might not be abused in most cases. I would be willing to place my trust on this vehicle over a CPO from the dealer (especially with a GTI).

CDM MK7

Ready to race!
Just suck it up and pay for a compression or leakdown test. That will give you a good indication of the health of the motor before you buy. I've done this on every single used car and motor swap I've purchased. Don't buy anything with more than a 10% variance between cylinders.

Also not a bad idea to bring the car to a third party, tell the shop you're thinking of buying the car, and ask them to check it out for you. Just tell the seller to meet you at a mutually agreeable shop, and you'll take care of everything. Half hour of your time could save you thousands.

Better to spend the tiny up front cost to check than deal with the aftermath of a bad decision.

TQ_MKVII

Ready to race!
In a guide I saw the longetivity of these motors when properly warmed up and maintained is 150k to 200k+ miles, and that stage 1 and 2 do not effect longetivity as long as it is a good tune, as well as a turbo swap even. Stage 3/much higher horsepower however bring down the reliability drastically. RIP my engine lol

Can you link us all to this guide you are referencing?

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI
Don’t buy a 2015, as known issues include:

-crank walk

-cam bridge screen failure

-turbo failure

Other notable shortcomings are lack of Apple CarPlay & reverse camera. Basically any of those will cost you the price difference of a ‘15 vs ‘16 so you definitely want a 2016 or newer.

To avoid surprises buy a one owner car from a private seller. If it’s some dipstick who lives in his moms basement maybe hold out for a more mature owner who’s got maintenance records, kept the car detailed/garage kept, ect. There’s a ton of mk7 out there for sale, it’s up to you to be picky and patient enough to grab a good one

I've got a '15 w/ reverse camera.

For the other 'known issues', are there technical service bulletins issued for those?