GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 GTI tuning options

Scala

Ready to race!
Is it harder to bypas VW security on 2018 or some internals have changes and it takes some time to rewrite code?

Time and skill. I shared my frustration with the service manager of the VW -and APR- dealer where my tunes are performed. He has the ear of the corporate people and the word is that the whole GTI tuning community has run too wild for their taste.

Juggar

Ready to race!
the whole GTI tuning community has run too wild for their taste.

What the hell does that mean? Seems alive and well but hardly wild....

Its not like people are stacking NOS on IS38 tunes and blowing motors.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Either way - APR is the leader in this world. I find it very weird for them to abandon the MK7 platform. But I guess their bean counters ran the numbers and realized there's more money in BMW...

That said, I'd be very happy if Unitronic became the #1 for the MK7. I like them a lot.

OBP

Go Kart Newbie
Ask APR how the B9 S4/S5 tunes are coming along for the V6 turbo.

Better hope the 2019 and beyond models don’t come with the Bosch MG1 ECU.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
You guys are forgetting about Revo Technik and ABT over in Europe.

Juggar

Ready to race!
Ask APR how the B9 S4/S5 tunes are coming along for the V6 turbo.

Better hope the 2019 and beyond models don’t come with the Bosch MG1 ECU.

I think they said that the 2019 models(GTI/R) use an MG1.

And no tuner has cracked the ECU yet.

If thats true, then flash tunes are truly dead for all MG1 VAG cars until the ECU is cracked.

Arin even mentioned they specifically hired more people to try and crack it. They've been trying since 2017. Could be they are cutting their losses.

Arin mentioned the MG1 ECU's in the BMW's were easily cracked and the Ford MG1 ECU's were childs play. Not sure why the VAG ones are so locked down.

Id be massively depressed if I were a 2019 GTI/R owner and it turned out you could not flash the ECU. That really limits what you can do with the platform. Id feel sick if I bought a 2019 right now.

Piggybacks are fine and all but they are no flash tune replacement. And im guessing this also means no DSG tune so its a big loss for 2019+ models. I mean good lord can you imagine being locked down to 124 MPH(GTI)? Piggyback cant save you there. 124 is not often reached but a performance car like the GTI should be limited to 155 minimum.....

This thread is full of info and it all makes sense now: https://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/774678-The-APR-S4-Development-Car-is-Here!

Last edited:

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
I think they said that the 2019 models(GTI/R) use an MG1.

I read the same thing somewhere. Internal engine improvements and new ECU is the reason why the new GTI makes 228HP instead of 220HP. I'd expect the same to apply to the Golf R. Just give them some time and there will eventually be lots of tuning options available.

Juggar

Ready to race!
I read the same thing somewhere. Internal engine improvements and new ECU is the reason why the new GTI makes 228HP instead of 220HP. I'd expect the same to apply to the Golf R. Just give them some time and there will eventually be lots of tuning options available.

Thats the issue though, they've been cracking away at the ECU since July 2017.

Arin has been saying "give it some time" for over 1.5 years. Arin never promised anything and did say it could happen the next day or could take years.

So I can see why they are moving on and focusing on BMW, seems they just couldn't crack it. At some point you do need to point your resources in a profitable direction. If they get a lucky break then great, otherwise they'll make money off BMW tunes.

OBP

Go Kart Newbie
Not just VAG. Chevy did the same thing with the new ZR1.

Supposedly the new encryption is block chain level encryption to ensure no tampering. I'm sure it's all due to environmental regulations (autonomous driving) and the (potential)fines associated with further regulation/rulings if the courts find that the auto manufacturers didn't apply harder countermeasures to hacking if that option was available to them.

Juggar

Ready to race!
Not just VAG. Chevy did the same thing with the new ZR1.

Supposedly the new encryption is block chain level encryption to ensure no tampering. I'm sure it's all due to environmental regulations (autonomous driving) and the (potential)fines associated with further regulation/rulings if the courts find that the auto manufacturers didn't apply harder countermeasures to hacking if that option was available to them.

Yeah it sucks because all you are left with is a piggyback.

piggybacks on their own are not for making serious power. You'd still have speed limiter, lower rev limit, no left foot braking feature (APR) and the biggest loss, timing adjustments for top end power.

What the hell good is it to increase the power on a GTI limited to 124 MPH? Any sort of turbo upgrade like IS38 would become pointless.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
What the hell good is it to increase the power on a GTI limited to 124 MPH?

Lots of good I'd say. I can't imagine a time I would ever need to go faster. Quicker 0-60/100 is all that really matters for most people.