GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sachs 4 puck- thoughts?

stockton2007

Go Kart Champion
I just read through this whole thread again and realized that everything I've been experiencing, others have experienced also. I thought the grinding/buzzing I was getting was specific to me, but it was covered earlier in this thread.

I drove some old ladies around this weekend and had no issues with the clutch except for a slight squeal/chirp once or twice. I doubt they even heard it with the air on. One of the ladies even commented that she had no idea the car was a manual. I guess it was that smooth.

I'm probably close to 1800 miles now. Pedal is heavier but not terrible at all. The clutch is very well behaved for something that's supposed to hold 600lb/ft. No problems parallel parking in to tight spaces. I've driven the car in a bit of traffic with no problems.

Sometimes it makes a slight grind, sometimes it whines. I think both of them can be controlled with clutch pedal and throttle control. It's all during the engagement from a stop. The grinding noise was troubling, when I first heard it, but hasn't been an issue as often now that I know it exists. If you hear that it's about to make that grounding sound, you just let out the clutch a bit more so you get more contact.

I just wanted to update this thread to make sure anyone looking in to this understands the sounds aren't a real problem.

I think the bolded line above is most important. Value, power handling, driveability, no chatter from SMF. Hard to beat.

etrips

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golfffff Rrrrrr
For those of you that have broken the clutch in and feel that it isn't going to change anymore. How high in rpms are you having to rev before letting off in 1st/reverse?

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
For those of you that have broken the clutch in and feel that it isn't going to change anymore. How high in rpms are you having to rev before letting off in 1st/reverse?
1500 to 1800. Definitely under 2000.

etrips

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golfffff Rrrrrr
Welp, just made an order. Was on the fence between the 4 puck and TTRS, but err'd on the side of "well if my turbo blows...".

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Welp, just made an order. Was on the fence between the 4 puck and TTRS, but err'd on the side of "well if my turbo blows...".
I just put another 700 miles on my setup this weekend. Clutch performed well. I made a sound or two here and there but smooth and held well.

etrips

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golfffff Rrrrrr
Just drove home after my install, slapped in a new DMF because it was just on the cusp of not being usable anymore. But I have to say, I was expecting it to be a million times worse. Engagement point is definitely in a different place now, but I think I like it.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Just drove home after my install, slapped in a new DMF because it was just on the cusp of not being usable anymore. But I have to say, I was expecting it to be a million times worse. Engagement point is definitely in a different place now, but I think I like it.
Let us know what your experience is like in the next few days. Which TOB did you go with?

etrips

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golfffff Rrrrrr
Let us know what your experience is like in the next few days. Which TOB did you go with?

Ended up going with the all metal TOB. Though I’m going to be honest, I’m a little perplexed. Seems like almost everyone in here we’re making out the clutch pedal was going to be 500% stiffer, whereas my pedal maybe only became 20% stiffer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheProfessional

Go Kart Newbie
Ended up going with the all metal TOB. Though I’m going to be honest, I’m a little perplexed. Seems like almost everyone in here we’re making out the clutch pedal was going to be 500% stiffer, whereas my pedal maybe only became 20% stiffer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I jump back and forth between my GTI and my R all week long and can say it is more than 20% stiffer. Also, the TOB will make a difference in how stiff the pedal feels since there is a spring inside the TOB and that spring rate may vary by manufacturer. I have a Sachs TOB but it is being changed out for a LUK one due to noise.

I had an all metal version when I bought a DKM kit (never installed) and had the FTE one that came with the kit. The FTE was significantly easier to depress by hand, which means it would make the pedal feel much harder to depress based on how the TOB actuates. Since LUK is the manufacturer of the oem VAG TOB, I'm interested to see what difference I feel.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I jump back and forth between my GTI and my R all week long and can say it is more than 20% stiffer. Also, the TOB will make a difference in how stiff the pedal feels since there is a spring inside the TOB and that spring rate may vary by manufacturer. I have a Sachs TOB but it is being changed out for a LUK one due to noise.

I had an all metal version when I bought a DKM kit (never installed) and had the FTE one that came with the kit. The FTE was significantly easier to depress by hand, which means it would make the pedal feel much harder to depress based on how the TOB actuates. Since LUK is the manufacturer of the oem VAG TOB, I'm interested to see what difference I feel.
Sachs TOB here also. Def more than 20 percent. Maybe not 5x more than stock, but def 2x or more.

What are your TOB noises like? Miles on the clutch?

TheProfessional

Go Kart Newbie

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Oh right. Are they going to replace all the parts? You'll need to do break in all over again? Or are they just replacing the TOB?

See my previous post in this thread (post #171, https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=737328&postcount=171).

It started almost immediately after install (and I think I am past 1500 miles, maybe 2000 on it), once it gets warm it is noisy. Doesn't impact driving, just annoying. The shop that provided the parts and did the install is warrantying everything.