GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car Seat/LATCH questions for parents of kids in car seats

brianb

I haven't looked at GTI manual so if it says ok for center latch, go for it. If not, it wasn't designed that way and shouldn't be done. The anchors are spaced a specific way so the seat doesn't fly all over the inside of the car in an impact.

https://thecarseatlady.com/vehicles/latch/center-latch/

Note that Uppababy says "In order to use the rear center seating position with lower anchor, the distance between the lower anchors may be up to 559 mm (22 in) and the seating position must be approved by the vehicle manufacturer. If spacing between the lower anchors is greater than 559 mm (22 in) or if the seating position is not approved by the vehicle manufacturer for use with lower anchors then use the vehicle seat belt for installation."

So, no more than 22" but also approved by the manufacturer. Who for the GTI says outboard seats only. I hear you on the perception of the physics, but if its not approved its either not been tested or been tested & doesn't work. Either way, you & your newborn would be the test environment, when you're needing it to work.

It is possible to get the seat just as secure with the seat belts as it is with the LATCH system. It can be a bit of a pain to do it. Personally - I always used the centre position with my kids, with the seat belts.

Theres also a searchable link on NHTSA for a seat install check (often the local fire or police department):

https://www.nhtsa.gov/equipment/car-seats-and-booster-seats#install-inspection

Good luck with your new arrival!

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie

Attachments

• 335747FF-3A24-4977-AADE-1DED706D3A32.jpeg
    335747FF-3A24-4977-AADE-1DED706D3A32.jpeg
    28.8 KB · Views: 309
  • 28496B68-74D8-4D24-9361-E3DD4653606B.jpeg
    28496B68-74D8-4D24-9361-E3DD4653606B.jpeg
    42.6 KB · Views: 256

dsgvw

Ready to race!
We did the middle for awhile and then once you get past the new parent stage you’ll move them to one side to make it easier on your life and back trying to get them in and out. Sure it’s safe to latch on the center especially backwards, I’d see no reason why it wouldn’t be and did it for years.

Middle is fine until you don’t have the whole car seat clicking out to transport inside after they fall asleep in the car. Once they graduate to forward facing or have another kid then you’re stuck on the sides.

Enjoy the kid ride, and just drive knowing most people are pathetically unaware of other drivers and situations on the road around you. Baby on board stickers won’t help you, haha

I’ve had a MK6 and now a MK7 through 2 kids and will likely always have one. Love these cars.

roundle1979

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI SE 6MT
3 Kids here.

Very few cars offer latch in middle. And problem with placing seat in middle--for 80% of cars--is that you kill the possibility to seat people to the left and right.

In our BMWs, we've always used the award-winning BMW latch system (behind driver). In our 2018 CX9, we still use the BMW Junior Group 1 (it would never fit in the little GTI) that we brought over from Europe:

https://www.amazon.com/Baby-Seat-ISOFIX-Base-Junior/dp/B01JB6IRF8

In the VeeDub, I use a MaxiCoxy RodiFix (my youngest is now 4).

If I had to put an infant in (and out) of the GTI, I'd rock a Peg Perego (Maxi Cosi) that could attach to my stroller (Bagaboo or bust!).

DAS_STIG

Banned
The BMW group 1 doesn't seem much bigger than the Britax Advocate. It's a tight fit in the middle and its touching the shoulders of both front seats, but it works. I think the GTI would surprise you how much it fits. Even with the Britax I can seat two adults on either side in back with the rear facing seat. Not for long rides but for 20 minutes it's not too bad.

slow12s

Ready to race!
I really appreciate everyone's input, I'll mess around with it a bit next weekend and see how I like it behind the passenger seat...I know that will be where she'll go once we switch to a convertible seat because there's no way I'm reaching into the middle to buckle her in, but for now I may stick to the middle. Thanks everyone! I'll update with anything new I find out from the firehouse.

sshlyk

Ready to race!
You won’t fit car seat in the middle, it is very bulky, if you do, it will be extremely uncomfortable for passengers.

Latch system is much easier to use than seat belt, plus it is very tight, seat will be better secured.

I would install it behind passenger seat, you can check on baby easier plus more space for you.

buccad

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI Autobahn
We currently have ours installed in the middle, and that thing isn’t going anywhere. We’ve had people sit on both sides of the car seat while it was installed for short trips, and they didn’t complain.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
I think a lot of people bridge the LATCH anchors to put the seat in the middle, but being that the manual specifically says not to, I'd follow those guidelines.

My wife's Acura MDX had 3 sets of LATCH points, so you could specifically use the center seat. Few cars are like that, and my last 3 have all said the same thing: LATCH is for outboard seats only.

DAS_STIG

Banned
You won’t fit car seat in the middle, it is very bulky, if you do, it will be extremely uncomfortable for passengers.

Latch system is much easier to use than seat belt, plus it is very tight, seat will be better secured.

I would install it behind passenger seat, you can check on baby easier plus more space for you.

Yes you can put the car seat in middle. Yes passengers will be comfortable.

Maybe easier for certain seats, but not anymore secure.

Get a mirror and you can check on baby in center.