GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Teemmy's late GTI build thread

teemmy

Ready to race!
Pretty clean build, but man do I gots some questions lol.

You went from TTRS brakes to Mk VI Golf R brakes, any reason why? I mean going from a floating rotor to a solid rotor and doing track time seems kinda backwards lol.

Also noticed you went from VWM superstreet plus coilovers to their springs.

Also notice you do track days, and on the pic of your car getting ready to hit up the corkscrew you look like you're out of suspension travel lol. I will say reading the description of the superstreet plus coilovers makes me scratch my head a bit, in one part of the description, they say the spring rates are linear, and later they say they're progressive.

Oh why go from adjustability to not? Looks like it was a single adjustment that did both dampening and rebound(which would drive me nuts but alas) so it looks like adjustment is easy, AND you're in CA so it's not like you're dealing with coilover adjustment collars and calcium chloride and rust.

Didn't like the XR8 pads? Well, at least on these cars?

I really want wavetrac eventually mainly because once you tune these cars at all, the unit that comes in the PP can't do anything anymore. Plus I miss the torsen "foresight" at turn in.

Oh you do track days and get the G's up there, ever have any issues with fuel starvation under high G's? Probably get a CEL for high voltage on the LPFP or the car would stall almost lol.

Has your catch can setup caught anything?

I think that's it.

Non-SE/Autobahns look weird with their body colored roofs, especially in white lol. Wish I could get a black roofed, non-sunroofed car. Fkn hate my sunroof. Nice build op.

I'll try to answer your questions best I can :)

I had mk6 golf R brakes prior to the TTRS setup, but got new rims and the rims couldn't clear the TTRS brake calipers without a 5mm spacer. I ended up rubbing with the spacers and it was driving me crazy so I decided to ditch the brakes. Don't get me wrong, the TTRS setup a big improvement in stopping power over the mk6 R set up. I had my fenders pulled and I would still rub - I realized the issue with the clearance wasn't actually the sides of the fender, but I was really rubbing more towards the front where the bumper attaches. I think this may be due to the fact that I'm running the superpro bushings that increased the caster.

In terms of track duty, I sadly never got to try out the TTRS setup. I haven't had issues with the mk6 R calipers and rotors on the track and it's performed well for me with upgraded pads, lines and fluid. The brakes take quite a beating at Laguna Seca and they've held up well. I spoke with a mk6R owner who regularly tracks his car and he says the stock brake setup has worked well for him (I think his PR at laguna was a 1:44 range).

Also - XP8s are great, i just used up the set so I changed to GLoc

The VWR superstreetplus was a great coilover set up and worked really well on the track, but this car is my daily and it was still too stiff on it's softest setting so I went back to springs (it was easy to adjust). I still take the car to the track with the springs they work out, but I get a good amount of body roll... Also, you can buy the superstreet plus with either linear or progressive springs. The set that I bought was progressive.

The photo above had plenty of travel :) It's when you come up and out of the corkscrew that your suspension gets pushed more

I have not had any issues with fuel starvation - I'd like to think that I push my brakes pretty hard, but maybe not hard enough? I also don't just floor them immediately/abruptly but it's more a "press" than a stomp. That being said - I found out about this issue a few times after I tracked my car and went with the Racingline catch can to avoid this issue, so I haven't encountered this problem. (however, the racingline catch can leaks oil...)

The racingline catch can definitely catches a lot of oil because it replaces the stock PCV system.

Hope that answers your questions... :D

teemmy

Ready to race!
So a few updates coming soon!

Car has been constantly changing:

added:
- EQT vortex turbo + protune
- racingline front dampers + springs
- Turbosmart DV/BOV
- Stoptech st60 BBK
- eurosport rear brace

Last edited:

teemmy

Ready to race!
Current look:

Lots of debate on what I want to do next... seems like a never ending project!

Things that have changed in the past month:
- spulen v2 catch can swap from racingline
- switched out rear dampers to stock OEM dampers from racingline,
- Eurosport rear x brace
- Superpro camber plates
- picked up a set of bronze wedsport sar10 18x8.5 +45 with nitto nt01

Would look something like this:

Reviews to come soon!

Last edited:

teemmy

Ready to race!
Stoptech st60 355x32mm (6 piston!) review,

So I bought these off another member who had used them pretty lightly, i do recall he said he had used these for one track day, which is why he also sold me a set of Stoptech track pads that he had only used once.

The only downside to this kit was that he had ran 3mm spacers to help clear his rims but they probably required 4-5mm. He ended up scraping the front corner face of the calipers, and I’m sure his rims took a little scratching as well. Regardless, I’m not one who cares much about looks but rather about function so it didn’t bother me. They still look plenty pretty to me :)

I’m a pretty mild daily driver and the Bay Area is congested enough so i rarely let loose, but i bought these for the track. I had one day with them on the track and all i can say is, “wow [emoji33]”. These brakes will rip off your face! I had a passenger for a few sessions and he was shocked by how amazingly hard these brakes stop. They showed no signs of fatigue on Laguna seca’s hard braking sessions. At first i thought my brakes were fading later in each session, but i realized that i was actually overwhelming my Michelin ps4s. They could not hold up to the abuse of stopping so hard paired with the amount of power I’m putting out with the EQT vortex turbo.

I also realized that they unbalanced my car because i had so much brake imbalance with my tiny rear non pp brakes. Then again, it helped transfer all the weight and grip to the front, which helps for our FWD platform... i think it just goes to show these brakes are incredible. Even after my track day, my brakes showed minimal wear, the pads looked like they were unused and the rotors looked fine.

Unfortunately i don’t have any photos of the rotors in the wheel wells... but this is what i came up with today as i installed my Superpro camber plates

Photos here:

I may part out with these brakes as they’re more than i need. I’m considering getting PP brakes or swapping back to my set of Mk6 golf R brakes...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
How do you like the superpro camber plates? I have 034 installed now. Right side makes a "rubber against metal" sound when turning. Not really sure why since the left is silent but I bought them second hand (though not driven on).

I can't live with that noise. I'm torn between going back to stock mounts or trying the superpro. The 034 are re-buildable so they can be pulled apart but I don't have time (or want to spend the money on labor) to have them taken off, re-built, tried out and then replaced with another option if they still makes noise.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
Ask Ed to sell us the EQT ones. They come with an oversize turbo muffler delete too. I keep asking, maybe more pestering will get us what we want. :D

You can buy them from eqt. Just need to contact Ed. They are the same price as neuspeeds basically and will be weeks before they're here. Plus I kinda like the ricer red lol

teemmy

Ready to race!
How do you like the superpro camber plates? I have 034 installed now. Right side makes a "rubber against metal" sound when turning. Not really sure why since the left is silent but I bought them second hand (though not driven on).

I can't live with that noise. I'm torn between going back to stock mounts or trying the superpro. The 034 are re-buildable so they can be pulled apart but I don't have time (or want to spend the money on labor) to have them taken off, re-built, tried out and then replaced with another option if they still makes noise.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I haven’t had much sound issues at all with the super pro, there is very slight increased noise over large bumps, but overall i feel like the sound is very live-able.

The driving dynamics is very much improved with the camber - i only wish i did this earlier for my car!

teemmy

Ready to race!
Are the neuspeeds pipes worth the $? I'm thinking about ordering for my is38

I don’t think that they are worth full price, but snagging a used pair for close to $200 is worth it.

I’m impressed by the EQT oversized pipes as they’re lined with an inner rigid plastic. The fit is good as well. I installed an EQT turbo for another mk7, so I’ve worked with them in person.

I would definitely pester Ed to make them a stand alone product. I would note that you need to make sure that your IC inlet is compatible with the EQT pipes. The EQT turbo pipes i installed for the other mk7 had a mabotech twintercooler and the pipes would NOT fit. It was a PITA because i had already taken out his OEM pipe and places the EQT only to find out that they wouldn’t mate at the IC inlet.

teemmy

Ready to race!

Yes! Sorry, I’ve been very lazy about updating things.

Install: You do need a drill + bits and a razor blade for the install. Instructions are easy to follow. I know many people aren’t comfortable drilling into their car, but the holes are easily covered up in the case that you want to remove the brace.

Impressions: this does make a noticeable difference in turns/weight transfer. Something that i did notice was that it actually made the car more comfortable driving around town when one side of the vehicle would hit a bump or hole as it would distribute the force more evenly across the vehicle. This was an unexpected surprise as I’m quite sensitive to NVH.

- better rotation in turns
- increased comfort

Negatives: they do recommend using blue thread locker when you bolt the brace to the car. I did not do this and as a result, the bottom two bolts would end up coming loose and rattling. This was driving me nuts. I would end up re-torquing them to install specs and sure enough, in another week or so they would end up loosening and rattling.

So make sure you use thread locker :)

Also, this does limit your ability to use your rear trunk space if you want to put down your rear seats for increased cargo space. It wouldn’t be hard to remove though as it’s only held by six bolts.

Final thoughts:
For $200 this isn’t a bad mod. You can definitely feel the increased rigidity that the brace provides.

The whole purpose i bought this mod was to stiffen up the rear and help the car rotate in the turns. Granted - I already had the Eurocode rear brace, superpro rear trailing arm bushings, and neuspeed 25mm rear sway bar installed, so this was more icing on the cake and trying something new and similar to the unibrace XBQ at almost half the cost.

I think this paired with an upgraded rear sway bar would be a great combo, but it’s probably overkill with the eurocode brace.

Hope this is helpful!

Last edited: