GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Daily Driver & Motorsports Golf R

mto386

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Been a busy past couple weeks. Installed some things last weekend, Auto-X'ed this past weekend. Installed the Superpro front sway bar with endlinks, CTS deadset kit, Superpro front bushings, and Vorshlag adjustable camber plates. What made the job the hardest is just not having a lift. Over all it probably took me 8-10 hours, could do it in half the time next time. I did it over the course of 4 days. Removing the sub frame and control arms was easy. Getting the bushings out of the control arm were easy. Pressed one group out by using a gear puller. The bigger ones I hacked out with a saw, hammer, and screw driver. For the life of me, getting the bigger bushings back in was not happening without a press. Who ever says you can just tap it in with a hammer is a liar. Even with a sledge hammer and a block of wood it was not happening. Wasted an hour trying, and another trying to find a shop to press it in. Ended up costing $30. The hardest part of the job was removing and installing the strut out of the knuckle on the left side. Took me a little while to realize I should disconnect the drive shaft from the transmission. I still have to replace those 6 bolts with new ones, they just came in today. The next hardest part was bench pressing the sub frame with control arms and sway bar attached into place using 1 hand and the other to get bolts threaded. Used all new bolts. Everything lined up great. Got an alignment done after a day, definitely needed it. Pictures of stuff below.

mto386

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Here's my fastest on Saturday. Camber plates and front sway really helped in some of those turns. No longer tail happy like it was with just a rear set on the stiffest. I had some 5 year old 80 tread wear tires that I was using. They held nice but probably won't last past next practice. Picked them up for $200 so whatever.

Last edited:

mto386

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Progress photos, decided to stop by randomly just to check in. They are replacing both struts thankfully. Took a little persuading though. Suspension work should be done by Wednesday. Hopefully rest of the body by next week. Ceramic coating after that. Track day coming up on the 27th!

mto386

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Got the car back 2 weeks ago. All seems well! Still need to ceramic coat it. Went to Willow Springs this weekened. Improved my time by about 15 seconds, I should be able to get below 1:40 next time. Got new 18x9 Konig Rennform wheels with 255/35/18 Federal RS-RR for the track day. Video of one of the laps and pictures below!

Last edited:

dood.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Awesome thread! It's always inspirational to see people using the full potential of their cars.

mto386

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
How's the suspension holding up? Did you consider getting a coilover system? If so what kind?
It does what it can do, just wish I had less roll around the corners but I dont want to drop it any. I'm considering getting the ground control conversion kit but we'll see.
https://groundcontrolstore.com/collections/mk7/products/mk7-mqb-coilover-conversion-kit

Just skimmed through quickly, definitely a great find!
Looks like you had some ups and downs but overall I would say more ups than downs!
Keep up the progress!
-Martin

Thanks buddy!

Awesome thread! It's always inspirational to see people using the full potential of their cars.
It's wicked fun!

Last edited:

mto386

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Went to Chuckwalla Valley Raceway in the desert! What a great time, I enjoyed it better than Big Willow. I placed second in my run group. My fastest lap was 2:11.8. I had a sub 2:10 in me but the turtles were not giving point bys, brakes were over heating, and heat soak was setting in due to the ambient temperature rising quite a bit by noon. I go back in April so we'll see what I can do! Video is me chasing down the #1 car in the group, a 455hp Camaro SS. You can see he was pulling away from me in the straits but I was catching up in the corners. There were two laps before this video started. I talked to him afterwards, his wife was in the car telling him to let me pass :D. Things I need before the next track day! Bigger turbo! Bigger brakes! Better tires! Better suspension! Anybody have $7,000 I can have? My tax return just happens to be that much but the fiance wants it all for a wedding. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Rollback50k1

Ready to race!
Awesome man, love the car.

Maybe some sort of compromise? Lol

I’d probably say, better tires or suspension including corner balance and alignment? You’ll need time to relearn the cars limits enough at this point. Then go ahead and upgrade the turbo and such later.

You can add more go fast stuff but if you don’t keep improving your driving then you’ll just have a harder time utilizing the added mods.

I’m sure you’re skilled but don’t be so down about sticking to the theory of “happy wife, happy life” (I vouch for it but there’s always a grey line that I set, otherwise life is only fair for one of the two people lol)

-Martin