GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to: Make a mk7 6MT Suck Less

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
The GTI clutch doesn’t have much feel as it is and with the weird bite point it was difficult to be consistent getting going from a stop.

The swirl valve, attached to the clutch line from the factory, does an excellent job at muting any feedback from the transmission. Once removed you can feel the clutch and flywheel vibration through the pedal.

A stainless steel clutch line was one of my favorite mods

razorbilo

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 GTI, 2017 X1
The swirl valve, attached to the clutch line from the factory, does an excellent job at muting any feedback from the transmission. Once removed you can feel the clutch and flywheel vibration through the pedal.

A stainless steel clutch line was one of my favorite mods

which clutch line did you get? once my basement is finished and everything from my garage goes back down there, i an going to do my short shift, bushing and bleeder block mod.

chiefhiawatha

Ready to race!
I bought the usp line and it would pop off at firewall. Two experienced guys couldn’t get it to stay.

I bought the ECS line and it worked like it is supposed to. Plenty of length.

Removing swirl valve had no deleterious side effect whatsoever. I don’t feel a pulse or whatever people feel in the pedal.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Installed the Audi short shifter with stock bushings. Not as short as I thought it would be, but feels a lot better. Shifting is still nice and notchy, now I'm curious what installing bushing would have felt like. Feels really good with the BFI knob. Delay valve is next once I pick up some brake fluid.

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
which clutch line did you get? once my basement is finished and everything from my garage goes back down there, i an going to do my short shift, bushing and bleeder block mod.

Go with the ECS and bypass the swirl valve on the firewall. I also gave the USP cable a try and it wouldn't fit lol

2.0T-GTI

VW in MadTown
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit Ed. GTI
Question about DOT4: I just did the swirl valve delete, and through the process lost some fluid as expected. I had rags under the fittings that caught most, but how corrosive is this stuff? Do I have to worry about any plastic bits it may have gotten on? Wiped up with rags, but wondering if I need to full out wash anything. Probably being obsessive, but wanted to ask. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H

Huntermike

Question about DOT4: I just did the swirl valve delete, and through the process lost some fluid as expected. I had rags under the fittings that caught most, but how corrosive is this stuff? Do I have to worry about any plastic bits it may have gotten on? Wiped up with rags, but wondering if I need to full out wash anything. Probably being obsessive, but wanted to ask. Thanks!

Plastic bits no big deal. Painted bits a big deal. In the service manual VW says to not get brake fluid on the transmission. Wash it with brake cleaner.

2.0T-GTI

VW in MadTown
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit Ed. GTI
Plastic bits no big deal. Painted bits a big deal. In the service manual VW says to not get brake fluid on the transmission. Wash it with brake cleaner.

I definitely knew not to get it near the paint, so safe there. Trans is just aluminum isn't it? I likely did get at least a little on the transmission, mainly from the rags that had some on them touching the trans. Wiped it up, but I'm sure there's some residue left. Well shit.

EDIT: Maybe their concern is it getting on the clutch itself, as that would surely be a problem. I definitely didn't get enough on the trans for that to happen, haha. FWIW the mod is amazing, just a bit messier than I expected, without an extraction/pressurizing rig and whatnot. Did it the old school way, which is definitely messier.

Last edited:

gopi_rm

Passed Driver's Ed
I installed ECS Tuning solid shifter bushings and did shifter alignment (left the slack natural without pulling the cable towards or against firewall).
It did make a difference compared to OEM rubber bushings but I only have an issue in 4th-->3rd shift.

When car is at standstill with engine on/off, the shifts are smooth and slot into the positions easily and the 4th to 3rd goes straight without any resistance.

But when the car is in motion with clutch pedal depressed, when I shift from 4th to 3rd there is a resistance in the middle so I have a stop bit and then slot into 3rd.

Could someone please help me to diagnose the issue.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
I installed ECS Tuning solid shifter bushings and did shifter alignment (left the slack natural without pulling the cable towards or against firewall).

It did make a difference compared to OEM rubber bushings but I only have an issue in 4th-->3rd shift.

When car is at standstill with engine on/off, the shifts are smooth and slot into the positions easily and the 4th to 3rd goes straight without any resistance.

But when the car is in motion with clutch pedal depressed, when I shift from 4th to 3rd there is a resistance in the middle so I have a stop bit and then slot into 3rd.

Could someone please help me to diagnose the issue.

Try pulling the front to back cable towards the firewall and tighten up. Side to side is normally ok. I would try 2-4 threads and then drive it a little. Should fix it.

eXult

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI SE 6MT
Can the clutch delay-valve removal be done in a way that's reversible? Since this is my first manual, I am afraid to do it and hate the feeling. Also, what benefit would there be to buy the ECS piece?

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Can the clutch delay-valve removal be done in a way that's reversible? Since this is my first manual, I am afraid to do it and hate the feeling. Also, what benefit would there be to buy the ECS piece?

Yes, you can take it apart and remove the little plastic piece, it is reversible. The benefit of the ECS bleeder block is it looks nice (all aluminum) and has a speed bleeder valve. Is it worth $130? Not in my opinion. You can add your own speed bleeder valve to the OEM unit if you’d like.

eXult

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI SE 6MT
Yes, you can take it apart and remove the little plastic piece, it is reversible. The benefit of the ECS bleeder block is it looks nice (all aluminum) and has a speed bleeder valve. Is it worth $130? Not in my opinion. You can add your own speed bleeder valve to the OEM unit if you’d like.

Thanks blaqsheep, for all the help lately. Unfortunately since I don't know much, I gotta follow up with a question. What's the benefit of the speed bleeder valve?

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Thanks blaqsheep, for all the help lately. Unfortunately since I don't know much, I gotta follow up with a question. What's the benefit of the speed bleeder valve?

One man bleeding. You can bleed the line without needing a second person to pump and hold the clutch pedal.