GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Peeling chrome trim around shifter!

cldlhd

Go Kart Champion
I would reassemble. I believe they end up replacing the entire bezel and not just the metal plated piece of trim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I figured I was helping them out but you're probably right. My wife says it's no big deal and I should just ignore it but I'm not going to start listening to her now.

BlancoGTI17

Ready to race!
Car(s)
17 GTI Autobahn
Unless you know your dealership personnel, I find it easier to play dumb usually. Just take it in, tell them a trim piece is chipped, and you'd like it fixed. They checked mine out, ordered the part, and I had to return at a later date for installation.

cldlhd

Go Kart Champion
I stopped in today and they ordered a whole new boot without even looking at it. Apparently they've done a few of them. They told me to bring it in Tuesday. Seems vw could save some cash if they made that trim piece available separately. I wonder how long they replace something like that as in a busy area of the car like they I could see it getting chipped more than once.

BlancoGTI17

Ready to race!
Car(s)
17 GTI Autobahn
Who knows if this trim will be the same in the mk7.5 revision of our car, it may not be worth the resources to worry about redesigning it at this point if it is a different part in the new cars.

cldlhd

Go Kart Champion
The trim that chips is easily separated from the boot. I did it in a couple minutes while sitting in the car waiting for my wife to come out of a store. Making just that "metal" bezel available separately would be a lot cheaper than replacing the whole boot but hey it's their money.

BlancoGTI17

Ready to race!
Car(s)
17 GTI Autobahn
I'm having the same thing happen to my car. Just to confirm, was this replacement covered under warranty?

It was covered on mine. Had less than 10,000 miles and was only 8 months old at the time. If you're under base warranty (3yr/36,000 mi I believe) you should be fine.

knivesandfire

Passed Driver's Ed
Had that happen in my '12 Mk6 at 19k, which used the same shift knob. Dealer quoted me at the time $450, but luckily it was replaced under warranty.

Didn't like that VW reused the shift knob for the Mk7. Wanted the golf ball knob.

Xxxwrathxxx

I have the same issue. Cut myself on it 2 times. I have just under 30k miles on my car.

Took it in today they are replacing it under warranty tomorrow.

Update

Entire new shift knob Trim and boot 320$ under warranty

Last edited:

Wongatron

Passed Driver's Ed
this is most definitely a defect. I've been affected three times now by peeling off the shifter trim on my 2015 and 2016 gti. first time replaced on warranty for the 2015. now happened again on both, same front seam split. I didn't want to take it back again for likely a temporary fix for both cars so I did my own thing. the trim is easy to remove and paint. krylon dual. looks powder coated.

Attachments

• _20171006_074238.JPG
    _20171006_074238.JPG
    430.4 KB · Views: 1,530

tnthlttr

Passed Driver's Ed
Sorry to revive an old thread, but does anyone know the part number for this? Picked up my golf from a used toyota dealership a few months back, so I dont think warranty applies to my situation. Thanks in advance.

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
If VW won't replace it under warranty check your local junkyard.