GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BFI Stage 1 Engine & Tranny Mounts

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
My NVH increased the slightest bit at idle from the mount combo (in my sig). I did them all at once and was half expecting to end up with some kind of tractor based on everything I'd read.

Nope. Throw in the vcds idle increase and It's close to zero nvh difference. Huge huge difference in performance though.

I know people shit on ECS here but I'm totally happy with their mounts.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
Call me crazy. I think the reason some get nvh on certain mount products is INSTALL. It is much more complex than just "throwing it on" imho. There are very subtle alignment nuances

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Call me crazy. I think the reason some get nvh on certain mount products is INSTALL. It is much more complex than just "throwing it on" imho. There are very subtle alignment nuances

Agree.

I spent about 20 minutes with a couple of pry bars getting everything perfect for my trans mount

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie

Yeah I made sure when I jacked the engine or tranny side that when I loosened the bolts the engine stayed in the exact position. This required multiple adjustments of the jack while releasing the bolts. This allowed me to swap the mounts once the old one was out in the exact same position. I have done the job twice now and both times it's good to go.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
So, is there an install guide for this stuff? Or did any of you reference a DIY on vortex or something like that? I'm probably going to completely redo my entire mount suite (currently have 034 mounts + apr insert/pendulum, probably going BFI mounts + HPA puck/pendulum) in the next couple months, and i'd love to make sure that it's installed correctly

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
So, is there an install guide for this stuff? Or did any of you reference a DIY on vortex or something like that? I'm probably going to completely redo my entire mount suite (currently have 034 mounts + apr insert/pendulum, probably going BFI mounts + HPA puck/pendulum) in the next couple months, and i'd love to make sure that it's installed correctly
I think Twist's post above on the tranny mount is one of the most informative posts on this subject.

Also, ECS has a youtube video and instructions

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
When I first installed these. I didn't realize I put in the trans mount super askew. I think doing these right are a little more complicated than people realize. There are a lot of alignment nuances that I think most diyers miss when trying to do these at home.

That being said when I went to do it again the right way, I realized vw put a semi alignment circle I to the unused circle on the amount. This circle should sit in the exact middle of the mount. Mine was preloaded off to one side and caused some issues over time. Also, the engine mount block should be exactly 10mm from the frame with the mount perfectly parallel.

Yes. There is a lot of play in the design. It doesn't matter if they thread in clean, mine did and it was horribly off kilter and I could only tell when looking up at it with belly pan off. If you're down there you can look up and see if it's aligned with the frame.

Basically, imagine taking the trans mount when it's off the car and stretching it all the way to one side. That's how mine was after some miles. Pre loaded towards the firewall which caused some weird noises and a thudding sound when I free revved. VW built in an alignment circle (which no one online has mentioned). They're smart to do that. Basically the mount should be in the middle of itself, not stretched or askew, and then the trans should be aligned with that circle exactly in the middle both left to right and up to down.

I'd be willing to bet they even have a tool that is like a rod that sirs down in that hole and shows the precise alignment as it sticks out.

I think Twist's post above on the tranny mount is one of the most informative posts on this subject.

Also, ECS has a youtube video and instructions

this stuff? also thanks didn't know about that. will certainly make sure the place i bring it to sees that before installing.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
this stuff? also thanks didn't know about that. will certainly make sure the place i bring it to sees that before installing.

The concept of install is simple (DAP videos, ECS, etc show procedure). The best advice I could give is to crack both mounts loose and do the trans first. Take a massive crowbar like Hoon mentioned and don't fully torque until that alignment circle is exactly in the middle of the mount without it preloaded off to one side. You could take an un-sharpened pencil to exaggerate the circle alignment and put it through both or just look straight down like I did.

Once those suckers are tight then do the engine mount bracket bolts back in, again making sure everything is straight and even (and a 10-11mm distance from bracket to frame).

Order of install:

Engine mount swap RAIL/Body only

Trans Mount Full swap
Engine mount Bracket Bolts
If doing dogbone do it last as it is kind of like a final lock on both.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
wow. Thank you so much! really appreciated, a lot. will get back when I get around to redoing my mounts.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
finished installing BFI stage 1 mounts today. Overall very happy with the products, slight increase in vibration at idle but that was expected. Everything seems super solid.

I have a bad feeling I am going to have to make adjustments though. During the install I could not for the life of me get all the bolts lined up properly. Only slightly off on the engine mount, but the trans mount drove me insane.

How concerned should I be with them being askew? I definitely plan to fix it, but not immediately. I need a break...

In the pics you can barely see the edge of the engine mount (closest to the engine) and how it is not even in the front and back. And the trans mount, the forward most bolt is clearly off center. Any other tips to help align? I tried the alignment hole thing but I just kept coming up empty.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
It's gonna cause issues. You will need to eventually redo them with everything centered. If they are not properly supporting the engine on all three sides the trans case can flex over time and even crack. The trans mount looks really really off, and you can see it's even pre loaded off to one side. No bueno.

That alignment hole for the trans mount should be smack dab right In the middle. The engine mount should be perfectly straight with the block and frame with exactly 10mm of distance between block mount and frame.

Imho, after building this car I would call a turbo swap an easier diy type mod than correctly doing the mounts. Most are not doing these correctly at all meaning no offense. There's just a lot of subtle nuances to it that can make a big impact down the road. Even 5mm of incorrect rotation can wreck havoc in terms of long term loading stress fractures to the trans, block, even the clutch can start to wobble and lap if it's not supported right.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
Since there are no videos online showing how to correctly install these. I'll make a video when I'm putting the is38 back on and talk about some tricks and vw secrets with aligning these.

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
I should have bought and installed these already. Went to strip today and my 60s were crap due to wheel hop which never happended before on slicks. I guess my stock mounts finally said thats enough with all my drag strip launches.