GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

April GTI Incentives

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
UPDATE 3: ALL VW/VCI incentive programs on MY17 vehicles end on 6/4/18. After that, all cash incentives, special APR, and special lease rates are done. Dealers will receive final payout for unsold 2017 vehicles on 6/5/18, after which they will no longer be supported. If you have your eye on a 2017, you have until Monday to buy it, and the dealers will do anything to close a deal by Monday night, so do not delay.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April/May Sales Month 4/3-5/31:

Dealer Cash: MY17 $4500, MY 18 $1000

STD APR: 4.28%/60 5.03%/72 5.53%/75 (Tier 1, 740+ FICO)

MY18 GTI Special APR: 0.9%/60 1.9%/72 2.4%/75 +$1000 APR Cash

MY18 GTI Dealer 1st Choice: 1.9%/60 2.9%/72 3.4%/75 + $1500 APR Cash

MY18 GTI Lease: .00140/36mo + $650 Lease Cash

MY17 GTI Special APR: 0.0%/72 0.5%/75 + $1500 APR Cash

MY17 GTI Lease: .00001/36mo + $1,050 Lease Cash

MY17 Dealer 1st Choice: 0.9%/72 1.4%/75 + $2,000 APR Cash

MY17 Dealer 2nd Choice: 1st Choice APR + 1% (all terms) + $2500 APR Cash

My18 Golf R: All STD

Haven't seen any regional bonus cash on GTI at this time, will update if we receive any info to that effect.

Last edited:

jmasse

Passed Driver's Ed
April Sales Month 4/3-4/30:

Dealer Cash: MY17 $4500, MY 18 $1000

STD APR: 4.28%/60 5.03%/72 5.53%/75 (Tier 1, 740+ FICO)

MY18 GTI Special APR: 0.9%/60 1.9%/72 2.4%/75 +$1000 APR Cash

MY18 GTI Dealer 1st Choice: 1.9%/60 2.9%/72 3.4% + $1500 APR Cash

MY18 GTI Lease: .00140/36mo + $650 Lease Cash

MY17 GTI Special APR: 0.0%/72 0.5%/75 + $1500 APR Cash

MY17 GTI Lease: .00001/36mo + $1,050 Lease Cash

MY17 Dealer 1st Choice: 0.9%/72 1.4%/75 + $2,000 APR Cash

MY17 Dealer 2nd Choice: 1st Choice APR + 1% (all terms) + $2500 APR Cash

My18 Golf R: All STD

Haven't seen any regional bonus cash on GTI at this time, will update if we receive any info to that effect.

Thanks! Were the MY18 APR's the same in March and what do you mean by $1000 APR Cash?

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Thanks! Were the MY18 APR's the same in March and what do you mean by $1000 APR Cash?

Special APR has not changed for April. $1000 APR Cash is an incentive paid by VW to the dealer, which they may or may not pass along to the customer, but only if that finance program is used, vs dealer cash, which cannot be combined with special financing/lease and may only be used with VCI std APR or 3rd-party financing.

Based on my experience with automotive incentives, I wouldn't expect the APR to go much lower on MY18 GTI for the foreseeable future, since its relatively new, so if you're planning to wait for a lower APR, you'll be waiting a while. Same goes for regional bonus cash, so if you're not in a hurry to get one, you might save another $500 if they include GTI in the May holiday bonus cash program, which usually includes all vehicles (except Golf R, but even that may change).

jmasse

Passed Driver's Ed
Special APR has not changed for April. $1000 APR Cash is an incentive paid by VW to the dealer, which they may or may not pass along to the customer, but only if that finance program is used, vs dealer cash, which cannot be combined with special financing/lease and may only be used with VCI std APR or 3rd-party financing.

Based on my experience with automotive incentives, I wouldn't expect the APR to go much lower on MY18 GTI for the foreseeable future, since its relatively new, so if you're planning to wait for a lower APR, you'll be waiting a while. Same goes for regional bonus cash, so if you're not in a hurry to get one, you might save another $500 if they include GTI in the May holiday bonus cash program, which usually includes all vehicles (except Golf R, but even that may change).

I bought one on the 30th and with immaculate credit through VW they charged me 2.9% for 72 mos. I got a good deal on the car ($3200 off sticker), but the APR is a little troublesome. Thoughts?

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I bought one on the 30th and with immaculate credit through VW they charged me 2.9% for 72 mos. I got a good deal on the car ($3200 off sticker), but the APR is a little troublesome. Thoughts?

Did you shop rates before you went into the dealer? Your APR is .5% below the 72mo rate currently offered by my local credit union, and they're usually as good as it gets. Plus, that 2.9% APR allowed them to get an additional $1500 off the sale price, so I'd say you got a good deal overall. The days of 0.0% financing on cars you actually want are long since over.

jmasse

Passed Driver's Ed
Did you shop rates before you went into the dealer? Your APR is .5% below the 72mo rate currently offered by my local credit union, and they're usually as good as it gets. Plus, that 2.9% APR allowed them to get an additional $1500 off the sale price, so I'd say you got a good deal overall. The days of 0.0% financing on cars you actually want are long since over.

Unless I misread it, your rate list above says 2.4%.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Unless I misread it, your rate list above says 2.4%.

You didn't, they just opted for the dealer 1st choice and traded .5% for another $500 off the sale price. This means 1 of 2 things:

1) They crunched the numbers and arrived at a lower monthly payment amount using the Dealer 1st Choice program

2) For whatever reason, your immaculate credit history still didn't qualify you for the lower APR. I've no idea why that is, but I do know that lenders often use other criteria when making loan decisions.

For example: my score is well above the Tier 1 cutoff, and according to the report pulled by the dealer's finance manager, was actually higher than I thought (because Credit Karma is not 100% accurate). However, that wasn't good enough for my local CU to give me their best rate on a 60mo loan, because, as far as he could tell, they saw higher than average credit utilization a few months prior to that (cat needed surgery), and even though I never carry a credit card balance (I just use all my monthly expenses to earn reward points), they decided I didn't qualify for their tier 1 rate. Luckily, the dealer was is also affiliated with other lenders, and got me a similar rate from another CU.

jmasse

Passed Driver's Ed
You didn't, they just opted for the dealer 1st choice and traded .5% for another $500 off the sale price. This means 1 of 2 things:

1) They crunched the numbers and arrived at a lower monthly payment amount using the Dealer 1st Choice program

2) For whatever reason, your immaculate credit history still didn't qualify you for the lower APR. I've no idea why that is, but I do know that lenders often use other criteria when making loan decisions.

For example: my personal score is well above the Tier 1 cutoff, and according to the report pulled by the dealer's finance manager, was actually higher than I thought (because Credit Karma is not 100% accurate). However, that wasn't good enough for my local CU to give me their best rate on a 60mo loan, because, as far as he could tell, they saw higher than average credit utilization a few months prior to that (cat needed surgery), and even though I never carry a credit card balance (I just use all my monthly expenses to earn reward points), they decided to pass. Luckily, the dealer was is also affiliated with other lenders, and got me a similar rate (.2% higher than I calculated) from another CU.

My score is close to 800 with a very low debt/income ratio, so I guess it is #1. I am happy with the deal, just making sure they were not making back end money. Thanks for the help!

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
My score is close to 800 with a very low debt/income ratio, so I guess it is #1. I am happy with the deal, just making sure they were not making back end money. Thanks for the help!

Well, that's the 3rd possibility, but I wouldn't really expect it in your scenario. Rate padding (or "dealer participation" as they like to call it) usually doesn't occur when the buyer has a high credit score; it's more often found in contracts where the buyer has a score in the middling 600s, so they know they don't qualify for the best rates, but probably don't know what they can actually get.

I didn't actually look, but I don't think VCI allows dealer participation on their advertised tier 1 rates anyway, so scenario 1 is more likely. I would say check your paperwork, but since the $1500 is classified as a "VCI Dealer Bonus," I don't think they'd have to disclose it as a consumer incentive, they way they would with a bonus cash or consumer cash program.

cb1111

This is why these threads are so valuable. Nobody should go to the dealer not knowing:

What their credit score is
What the incentives are
What incentives they qualify for
What their bank/CU will qualify them for
What the VW interest rates are

dddp2

Hey guys. So I was shopping for an 18' GTI Autobahn in manual and I've got a quote for $32,269 US. That's about 4000 off. I am thinking this is pretty low right? My original plan was to show these offers to other dealers to see what they could do for me but at this point I don't think it could get much lower. I am still going to see if they will get lower, but from reading these threads I think this is near the lowest anyone will go. Is that right?

suneohair1

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys. So I was shopping for an 18' GTI Autobahn in manual and I've got a quote for $32,269 US. That's about 4000 off. I am thinking this is pretty low right? My original plan was to show these offers to other dealers to see what they could do for me but at this point I don't think it could get much lower. I am still going to see if they will get lower, but from reading these threads I think this is near the lowest anyone will go. Is that right?

I think you can stretch it out to $5,000 off. $4,000 is the base discount I am seeing out here.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG

Always, always, always shop the quote. Depending on your market, you will almost certainly find a dealer who will beat the price. Then find another that will beat that. Then, start negotiating the value of your trade-in, and shop that offer around as well. Be prepared to take delivery from dealer stock, don't get hung up on a particular color, and never be afraid to walk away.

With that in mind, if any particular dealer comes off as friendlier and more willing to do something extra, don't walk away because their price is higher by a few dollars a month. Getting the absolute lowest price is good, but not if your longer term ownership experience suffers as a result. As an example, I shopped several dealers (online) before taking the best offer to my local dealer, who beat it. I didn't try to do better than that, because at the end of the day, I got a good price on the car, they made a fair profit, and since they're 2 miles from my house, they're going to be the ones servicing it if something malfunctions. Plus, I know the person who sold me the car, and I'd feel like a tool if I just used her price to save a few dollars with the competition.

Declio

Is this the out the door price after taxes and fees? Or prior to that?