GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Manual Transmission Shifting Issue

gtowngovernor

Ready to race!
Alrighty. So I did what everyone suggested to try.

Went on 6th gear around 2K rpm, and floored it. The car slowly started going faster, in accordance with rpms slowly growing, and then I heard the turbo kick in and it went even faster, again, with about the same rate as the rpms went up. No slippage whatsoever. Then I did the same in the 4th gear. No slippage. 3rd. No slippage.

No slippage no slippage no slippage :D

I think my clutch is fine. I am not a terrible driver to have ruined my clutch in 12,000 miles, never taken my car to the race track. I just push the car once in a while for fun. But hey, did not hurt to confirm that my clutch is fine.

Must be something else. It does seem to be that it is somehow connected to the CDV. It "feels" more like the car prevents going in gear rather than go on gear and slip.

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
Glad you were able to rule that out OP!

gtowngovernor

Ready to race!
I believe what you described is typical "feature" called rev hang, present in many recent car models. This website provides explanation with graphs and videos.

Thank you AquaSurf. It makes perfect sense.

"Basically the problem for drivers used to driving cars built before the rev hang existed (circa 2005-07) is one of annoyance and mental adjustment when driving new cars with rev hang. In the old days, we used to accelerate in low gear, back off the throttle, hit the clutch, select the next higher gear, release the clutch again and apply power, all within about 0.6 to 1 second, or faster or slower, as desired. Cars with the rev hang require a forced pause between backing off throttle and depressing the clutch to change gears. If the pause is not allowed, depressing the clutch immediately after backing off the throttle results in clearly perceivable increase in the engine speed at the time when it is least needed. This is caused by the ECM induced slow drop of revs and is not helped by the fact that disengaging the clutch too early lifts the load off the engine, until then working hard to drag the mass of the car forward. Clearly, the engine revs would shoot up when load is lifted off the engine that is still being operated under power by instructions from the ECM and not from the right foot of the driver."